Rip off insurance quote

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had an email from my van insurance company for the renewal. Last year I paid £448, this year they wanted £662, that's £214 more:eek: WHAT THE F...................
Went on Compare the market .com, same details except I added another 1000 miles as average mileage for the year and told them it would be parked on the drive and not in the garage as last year.
£338 fully comp, courtesy van, £100 excess, FREE windscreen replacement

and best of all..............................
safari-oleg.png
my free Safari Oleg

Reactions: 7 people

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i think its common practice to get a new quote from these websites now, as it will almost always be cheaper than your current insurers renewal, almost always though, as I suppose some circumstances can change.....

Reactions: 2 people

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i think its common practice to get a new quote from these websites now, as it will almost always be cheaper than your current insurers renewal, almost always though, as I suppose some circumstances can change.....
My current insurers came from the same website last year. I haven't told them yet that I have no intention of renewing with them, I'm gonna leave it til the last minute.:D
I can't do with people like insurance companies that turn around and say "well let's see if we can match that or better it". If they can do that, then why didn't they give me a cheaper quote to start with and then maybe I'd still be with them.:happy:

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
thankfully my wife deals with the car insurance, but back before I met her, I just got the cheapest quote for the policy I needed, I didn't care who it was with.......

£214 is a big increase though, did one have a crash....?.....;)

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Just had an email from my van insurance company for the renewal. Last year I paid £448, this year they wanted £662, that's £214 more:eek: WHAT THE F...................
Went on Compare the market .com, same details except I added another 1000 miles as average mileage for the year and told them it would be parked on the drive and not in the garage as last year.
£338 fully comp, courtesy van, £100 excess, FREE windscreen replacement

and best of all..............................View attachment 11387my free Safari Oleg
Ahh I Want Oleg!! Sadly he's now limited and my insurance not due until July so will probably miss out.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
My current insurers came from the same website last year. I haven't told them yet that I have no intention of renewing with them, I'm gonna leave it til the last minute.:D
I can't do with people like insurance companies that turn around and say "well let's see if we can match that or better it". If they can do that, then why didn't they give me a cheaper quote to start with and then maybe I'd still be with them.:happy:
i have found my next insuarnce on the comparison site with the same company i'm with, before. When I ring them up they can't do it at that price i have to do it on line!!!! Madness!

**edit - my fingers are too cold to spell propely

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that where the double con comes in when these insurers hope you will ignore or misread the reminder and just carry on with the the overcharged deal.
@adrian207 just make sure you don't go past the last minute deadline as they might try some dirty tricks. ( Can I send them one of your Voodoo things )

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Good result Adrian, I often use the comparison sites for insurance and utility deals, surprising what you can find but you have to be aware that they don't search all insurers, some company's won't pay commission to the comparison sites and are excluded in their search.

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
thankfully my wife deals with the car insurance, but back before I met her, I just got the cheapest quote for the policy I needed, I didn't care who it was with.......

£214 is a big increase though, did one have a crash....?.....;)
Nope, nothing different from last year. Not even any modifications in fact if I'd have told them that my van is now parked overnight on the drive instead of being garaged and that I wanted to add an extra 1000 miles a year to the total mileage, it would probably have been dearer.:mad:

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that where the double con comes in when these insurers hope you will ignore or misread the reminder and just carry on with the the overcharged deal.
@adrian207 just make sure you don't go past the last minute deadline as they might try some dirty tricks. ( Can I send them one of your Voodoo things )
Oh I'm sure that is true izzi. RAC, there's another. Last year when my renewal came through it was for £114. I then went on the net and found their website offering the same deal for £79. I rang them and asked "why is it that my renewal was £114 but I could get it online for £79?" Their answer was "because the £79 was for new members", to which I replied, "so what about your loyal members? Those people who stay with you and pay every year to keep you in a job and the RAC in business. If it wasn't for people like me staying loyal to you there would be no RAC for new members to join". He then went to talk to a manager and came back with "as a goodwill gesture, this time only we will be prepared to honour the website price of £79". I took it, but what he didn't realise was that I tried the same thing last year and got the internet deal. SUCKERS!!:D:D

Reactions: 4 people

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I still want him!!

Well how about when it arrives I let you have it for your Grandson. We can work out how to get it to you later. Now I don't know how long it will take to arrive, but I'll let you know when he does.:happy::happy:

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I change my insurers every year for everything if they cant come up with decent quotes.

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I change my insurers every year for everything if they cant come up with decent quotes.
That's how it should be and if enough people did that they will soon find out that we won't just go for their "best price" (until you knock them down to a better price).:D

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well how about when it arrives I let you have it for your Grandson. We can work out how to get it to you later. Now I don't know how long it will take to arrive, but I'll let you know when he does.:happy::happy:

Oh I couldn't, but that is very kind of you, you obviously have a kind heart for a bad boy (yesterday) but he is just the cutest thing. Our little lad is still not completely himself, he is still lacking some get up and go and his wound is still healing, it's nice of you to remember him thank you

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh I couldn't, but that is very kind of you, you obviously have a kind heart for a bad boy (yesterday) but he is just the cutest thing. Our little lad is still not completely himself, he is still lacking some get up and go and his wound is still healing, it's nice of you to remember him thank you
Oh yes you could and you will take it for him. I only got it cos it's free. i have a lad who's nearly 18 and there is nobody else so it would only gather dust. Please give my Oleg a good home.:):)

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Oh I'm sure that is true izzi. RAC, there's another. Last year when my renewal came through it was for £114. I then went on the net and found their website offering the same deal for £79. I rang them and asked "why is it that my renewal was £114 but I could get it online for £79?" Their answer was "because the £79 was for new members", to which I replied, "so what about your loyal members? Those people who stay with you and pay every year to keep you in a job and the RAC in business. If it wasn't for people like me staying loyal to you there would be no RAC for new members to join". He then went to talk to a manager and came back with "as a goodwill gesture, this time only we will be prepared to honour the website price of £79". I took it, but what he didn't realise was that I tried the same thing last year and got the internet deal. SUCKERS!!:D:D

Well good for you, I must remember that one. I have done similar with Virgin when they put my prices up earlier this year. I rang to ask why 'new customers' get all the deals and existing customers never get an offer. I got a free TiVo box fitted rental free. Always worth a bit of cheek