Is one blood test a year normal ?

Ayrshire Dave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality shows and people who wear sunglasses on top of their heads especially indoors.
I was diagnosed with type 2 just bout 18 months ago I received a letter last week asking me to come in for a check up is this a normal interval, I am on 3 tablets a day at the moment but was never told if I needed to monitor my levels more often.
Thanks
Dave

C

catherinecherub

Hi @Ayrshire Dave and welcome to the forum.

These are the checks you are entitled to and it looks as though you have been left to your own devices.

Having the right care is essential for the wellbeing of all people
with diabetes. There is a minimum level of healthcare that every person with diabetes deserves and should expect. Here are the

15 essential checks and services you should receive.

If you aren’t getting all the care you need, take this checklist to your diabetes healthcare team and discuss it with them.

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Document...s/15-healthcare-essentials-checklist-0714.pdf

Reactions: 2 people

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think generally yes, As a type 1 I used to attend my clinic every 6 months, now its every 3 months, due to being on a pump and having minor complications with my eyes........

do you feel you need more?

I would say once every 6 months would be a minimum, even for type 2, but all clinics are different unfortunately.......

you can ask about when you attend.......

Ayrshire Dave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality shows and people who wear sunglasses on top of their heads especially indoors.
I have an appointment in a couple of weeks to discuss the results of the recent tests, I will be sure to ask if once a year is adequate, I did not want to sound too pushy or sort of tell the doctors their job.
thanks for quick response
Dave

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Normally a newly diagnosed T2 on medication should have a full review 3 months after diagnosis, including blood tests and an HbA1c. The nurse/GP should then review the medication and tweak it if necessary. Once the HbA1c and meds are stable, 6 monthly reviews are normal, and eventually 12 months if all is well. This is what I had, and I am still on 6 monthly reviews. At each review I am weighed, measured, BP taken, foot check, HbA1c, cholesterol and lipids, kidney and liver function tests and full blood count.

Ayrshire Dave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Normally a newly diagnosed T2 on medication should have a full review 3 months after diagnosis, including blood tests and an HbA1c. The nurse/GP should then review the medication and tweak it if necessary. Once the HbA1c and meds are stable, 6 monthly reviews are normal, and eventually 12 months if all is well. This is what I had, and I am still on 6 monthly reviews. At each review I am weighed, measured, BP taken, foot check, HbA1c, cholesterol and lipids, kidney and liver function tests and full blood count.

I had all the above mentioned tests last week so I would imagine that is why they want to see me at the surgery, I would assume all is well if I am only being checked every year.
Thanks again
Dave

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What was your HbA1c on diagnosis?

You would find it helpful, if not essential, to buy yourself a meter. Wait to see what your HbA1c is first. If it has gone up, I would strongly urge you to buy one.

Ayrshire Dave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
would imagine I will get my HbA1c results when I go in, I was led to believe that I did not need to monitor levels with a meter as I was type 2, I will ask about this as well when I see my GP
Thanks

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
would imagine I will get my HbA1c results when I go in, I was led to believe that I did not need to monitor levels with a meter as I was type 2, I will ask about this as well when I see my GP
Thanks

That's the usual NHS mantra because strips are so expensive. In reality, without testing and monitoring our own BS levels we have no idea of what foods affect us and whether our levels are creeping up. Given you don't appear to have been seen as regularly as is usual, I'd not hold my breath for a meter or strips from surgery. Most of us use the SD codefree meter available on Home Health uk. The strips are the cheapest available and can be bought in bulk with a discount code.

Reactions: 3 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks

Please read round this forum. You will see that the main tool in controlling your levels is a meter. How else can you learn which foods you can manage and which you can't? By testing before and after a meal you can see at a glance what that meal has done to your levels and can adjust the carb content accordingly. May aswell wait till you get your results though. Your doctor is highly unlikely to agree with testing, but he probably isn't a Type 2 diabetic.

A

AnnieC

Thanks
This is entirely up to you if you want to test or not but very few doctors or nurses will give you a meter and test strips on prescription when you are T2 to expensive for them. If you.decide you do want to test then you will have to buy your own meter and test strips

Ayrshire Dave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I will wait till my latest results, and if necessary I will be happy enough to pay for a meter, its all rather confusing however I will as suggested read round the forum(s) and gather as much info as I can find.
Thanks
Dave

A

AnnieC

My husband had a three month blood test after being diagnosed T2 the nurse told him the next checkup and blood test will be in 6 months I presume after that it will be yearly

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If someone is well controlled then an annual diabetes check is sufficient, when someone is struggling and the HCP have concerns then they are called in more frequently.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that at some point you'll have to decide what path to follow, otherwise you'll be permanently confused by what you hear. I feel my surgery has left me to get on with it, so that's what I'm trying to do with the help of the forum. Eventually I'll have another HbA1c test and then we'll see how I'm doing officially.
Tell us how you get on with your test and what they say to you -- you never know, they may be among the enlightened few. Meanwhile hopefully @daisy1 will be along to give you a good introductory guide.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Ayrshire Dave

Hello Dave and welcome to the forum :)

I am pleased to see that you have had a lot of replies and advice from members. Here is some more - the information we give to new members - and I hope you will find it helpful. Carry on asking questions and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 130,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Ayrshire Dave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Wow, thats a lot of info, I shall be reading up before my appointment a week on Thursday with my GP to discuss my test results.
Thanks
Dave

Ayrshire Dave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
OK folks test results this morning, I have went from a 7 to a 7.5 so a slight relapse, my cholesterol levels are up as well so I have to cut down on bad fats apparently, she says she will see me in 6 months though rather in another year, she is against testing myself as was expected, ho hum what to do next I wonder

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mmmmmmm not a good set of tests then. What should you do next? Grab this by the horns and change your diet to low carb and increased fats, and get yourself a meter. Very few of us on here could have got our levels under control without our meters. The most essential tool we can have.

What does she call "bad fats"? What were your cholesterol levels and the lipid profile? (HDL/LDL/Triglycerides)

If you tell us what you eat in a normal day, maybe we can spot things to help you.

Ayrshire Dave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not sure what she meant by bad fats, I dont really have a normal eating routine but most mornings it is weetabix or porridge I use the green topped milk and low calorie sugar. I have had half a banana and a roll and cold meat with mustard and a cup of boiled milk since breakfast.
Tonight's dinner will be steak mince and potatoes with probably green beans.