Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Hello Everyone,

Just thought I would give an update after all your helpful comments and suggestions.

I have been using my meter, but I don't seem to be able to get my glucose below 7.2 (and that is semi starvation!).

One good thing though, I discovered that my Uncle has T2 diabetes and has been managing it all very nicely for 10 years now. He has given me a lot of good advice and tips.

I have an appointment with the diabetic nurse and then the doctor tomorrow and I may have to have a word about putting my metformin up. I am presently on 1000mg, but Uncle thinks that I may need a higher dose judging by my numbers.

I will check in after I have been to the doc.

Many thanks,

P

Reactions: 4 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Well, you don't need to starve! Just eat fat instead of the carbs you have cut out of your meals. Cheese, full fat yogurt, full fat cream in your tea and/or coffee, fatty cuts of meat, etc.

Reactions: 2 people

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
Hello Everyone,

Just thought I would give an update after all your helpful comments and suggestions.

I have been using my meter, but I don't seem to be able to get my glucose below 7.2 (and that is semi starvation!).

One good thing though, I discovered that my Uncle has T2 diabetes and has been managing it all very nicely for 10 years now. He has given me a lot of good advice and tips.

I have an appointment with the diabetic nurse and then the doctor tomorrow and I may have to have a word about putting my metformin up. I am presently on 1000mg, but Uncle thinks that I may need a higher dose judging by my numbers.

I will check in after I have been to the doc.

Many thanks,

P
Hi Providence ...yes its not semi-starvation eating the right things can make the difference...7.2 measured when...fasting...after 2 hours...what food...questions questions....how long since diagnosis? See my progress below...yours will be unique...but I worried about numbers not coming down quickly enough...assemble all the facts...make the changes...test and retest...get control...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with the others. If you are following a suitable diet there is no need to starve. I haven't starved once yet and am never hungry.

If you give us some idea of what you eat in a typical day maybe we can spot something.

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Had my visit to the doctor today. The DN was not around, she has caught the flu.

Doc was pleased with my HbA1C which had come down from 122 to 91. There is still a long way to go, but we are going in the right direction.

Blood pressure was good - which was a relief, it's as much as I can do to remember to take my metformin so blood pressure pills would have been another thing to remember.

The doc has raised my daily dose of Metformin from 1000 to 1500 and has also put me on the SR variety as the standard metformin upsets my stomach rather badly.

I am now waiting for the DN to recover from her illness, then will go and see her.

I have to admit that I was a bit taken aback with my Hb1AC figures but Doc seems very confident that we can get this under control pretty quickly.

~p~

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Hi Providence ...yes its not semi-starvation eating the right things can make the difference...7.2 measured when...fasting...after 2 hours...what food...questions questions....how long since diagnosis? See my progress below...yours will be unique...but I worried about numbers not coming down quickly enough...assemble all the facts...make the changes...test and retest...get control...

Diagnosed on 6th January 2015, Hb1AC 122. Low carbing, trying to stay under 50g per day, exercise 30 mins every day swimming, plus regular walking rather than taking the car. BMI 39

Reactions: 8 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Even if you have a little weight to lose there's no need to deprive yourself (says the person who has always failed, miserably, at denying herself). You just need to focus on the possibilities.

So what gorgeous, lovely, filling, low carb foods do you like?