Blood Monitors Compared

StormyDog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You have to get them direct from dario at the moment as they are not available on prescription until 01/09/14 they just sent me all the strips I need to last me til then

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
NovoRapid, Lantus, Victoza, Metformin (sr), Simvistatin
Thanks, that explains my issues locating them.

Chrissie41

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
According to the technical details in their handbook, the SD codefree is calibrated to be plasma equivalent (that's what the all of them do, I don't know if there are any whole blood meters left in the UK; Accuchek changed about 3 years ago and that was through a change in strip calibration not the meter itself).
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:luUFL8ZGu7oJ:www.homehealth-uk.com/PDF%20Test%20Instructions/User_Guide_UK_final.pdf &cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk
Thank you Phoenix I must have misunderstood the instruction book, I am fairly new to being a diabetic so concerned to get accurate readings. However, after reading back along this thread it would appear that I was expecting an accuracy that doesn't exist in home meters.

Shecat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Animal harmers, Smoking, Ignorance, Rudeness
If you are a Type 2 with a blood glucose average of 6.6 I would ask you what mess if any are you taking for your Diabetes control? I would aim for around 5.5 but that's my opinion. 6.6 is nothing to be alarmed about but it could be a little lower :)

Shecat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Animal harmers, Smoking, Ignorance, Rudeness
meds not mess duh autocorrect :)

blueflow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sadly can't lauch toolbar as using tablet, reluctant to use laptop, but maybe in New Year. Don't really like Microsoft or Windows.

D'wards

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have two meters - a One Touch Verio IQ and a OneTouch Ultraeasy.
Now the verio IQ seems to consistently test higher than the Ultraeasy to the tune of between 1-2 points. I suspect the Ultraeasy is more accurate, as i felt well rough one day, and it was showing 4.3 which isn't that bad.
Its a shame cos the Verio is much easier to use, needing only a fraction of the blood, but dangerous to have a high testing kit.
Any experiences with either of these fellas? Or ideas how to test each one - I thought maybe a commercial drink might have a recognised BSL, if you know what i mean, but couldn't find any info about it.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It might be interesting to do control solution tests on each meter, and then swap the control solutions around and repeat the control tests.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
I've seen a few posts about comparing meters and recommendations so heres my previous meters and current meter on small review. Hope it helps.

Thanks NaPsTeR. I use OneTouch Ultra 2, ;which is simple and I suppose cannot be less accurate than
any meter. This is what I look forward to: a meter like a watch, which is inserted in a vein and reports a continuous
bg number. Maybe we should write to Bill Gates or one the Google Guys. :).

Md.rose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The ISO standard for the accuracy of Blood Glucose Meters is:-
Within ± 0.83 mmol/L of laboratory results at concentrations of under 4.2 mmol/L
Within ± 20% of laboratory results at concentrations of 4.2 mmol/L or more.
So your meters may be within spec.
My new doctor follows the NICE guidelines! So I only get one test strip per week! So I purchased the Codefree as the test strips are a much lower cost compared to other meters.
I have found the Code Free very consistent in results compared to the one touch ultra that I have been using (still do one day a week)
The only issue with the code free is the finger pricier whose spring catch stopped working consistently after 2 months.
The meter itself is very good and works on a smaller blood sample compared to my other meter. So very pleased with the code free

Reactions: 2 people

Steve Hare

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm confused with my meter readings: for the last two years I have been using the accu check mobile meter, but my doctor has recently put me on a new meter because it's cheaper! I've not been trusting the reading from my new meter (Unio) as it's been reading higher than what I actually feel like. Also at times it was reading about 1 higher than my accu-chek mobile! Recently I I used the same blood test on both meters at the same time, my accu-chek mobile read 6.9 (which is what I felt like) but my Unio meter read 9.6! What shall I do?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm confused with my meter readings: for the last two years I have been using the accu check mobile meter, but my doctor has recently put me on a new meter because it's cheaper! I've not been trusting the reading from my new meter (Unio) as it's been reading higher than what I actually feel like. Also at times it was reading about 1 higher than my accu-chek mobile! Recently I I used the same blood test on both meters at the same time, my accu-chek mobile read 6.9 (which is what I felt like) but my Unio meter read 9.6! What shall I do?
Retest, or do nothing.

The average of these two readings is 8.25 and a 20% variation is ± 2.05 so the permitted range would be 6.2 to 10.3. So even if you got that range of results on the same meter from the same blood sample that would be within permitted variation limits.

You could try doing a control solution calibration test on both meters.

Steve Hare

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
But those readings being in the the permitted variation limits could mean that if the meter says I'm on 5.0 then I'm driving! I could actually be in hypo range because of it. I think with metre readings being even 1.0 or 2.0 difference could be risk for me. The DVLA have already taken my license away from me a given me a temporary license needing a medical every 3 years! And I've never needed any assistance in six years of being diagnosed :-(

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The DVLA have already taken my license away from me a given me a temporary license needing a medical every 3 years!
That's the same as every Type 1 diabetic. You are not being singled out.

Build in a safety factor by driving with your blood glucose a little high.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
But those readings being in the the permitted variation limits could mean that if the meter says I'm on 5.0 then I'm driving! I could actually be in hypo range because of it. I think with metre readings being even 1.0 or 2.0 difference could be risk for me. The DVLA have already taken my license away from me a given me a temporary license needing a medical every 3 years! And I've never needed any assistance in six years of being diagnosed :-(
So if you get a 5, take on board ten grams of carbs to be sure.

M

mammamia2006

True the variations are minimal, it just makes me laugh. They're self calibrating too :D

:idea: On a different note I have a dream that someone will create a monitor that comes as a mobile phone or that you can plug a test strip into your mobile phone etc so that it's one less thing to carry around. Also, you know that some phones can read barcodes these days? It would be good if someone can produce a phone app that allows you to scan in the barcode of food, look it up and give you the carb value per portion.
Hi, not sure of the name of the device I am thinking about but Boots sell a monitor that you plug into iphone and it keeps all your bg readings on your phone. Cant remember the price, I am iseless lol.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi, not sure of the name of the device I am thinking about but Boots sell a monitor that you plug into iphone and it keeps all your bg readings on your phone. Cant remember the price, I am iseless lol.
iBGStar is likely to be the one. It's made by Sanofi. The other one like this is Dario.

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been given an Accutrend alpha monitor which I think is quite old but virtually unused.

Is this any good or would I be better buying a new monitor?
Need to find out which foods affect my blood sugar after a rise from 58 to 61 - currently only monitored by my GP.

Any advice appreciated.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been given an Accutrend alpha monitor which I think is quite old but virtually unused.

Is this any good or would I be better buying a new monitor?
Need to find out which foods affect my blood sugar after a rise from 58 to 61 - currently only monitored by my GP.

Any advice appreciated.
Probably the most important factor is whether you can get the strips, whether you can afford them, whether your GP will provide them on prescription. Probably in general any meter where your GP will pay for the strips is the best one. :)