ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
:p

We learned to use sharp pointy things at our mam's knee ! :D Teaching indeed ! Mmmphm ! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Signy

"We" ..?

Based in the "wildings"...

Sounds more like Holyrood or Balmoral to me!

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"We" ..?

Based in the "wildings"...

Sounds more like Holyrood or Balmoral to me!
LOL ! :D:D

Not the royal " We" , alas ! :D I have no delusions of grandeur I assure you ! Currently I smell of the barn and am freezing my ass off whilst trying to get some heat out of an ancient Rayburn , and straw out of my hair :D:D

Oh and no multiple personality disorder either , before you ask :p

Signy

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
just weighing in here... I did DAFNE after a year (more, actually) and I'm quite glad I waited. I think that if I had done it straight away, I'd probably not have got so much from it - there were already too many things to take in, and a bit of living-with-diabetes first only enhanced my experience.
To be fair, though, the original nurse who told me about injections and things was pretty clear on the fact that I'd need to adjust dosage dependent on what I ate (though no numbers/calculations) and that I should experiment and see what worked, which served me very well for the first year or so.
(Also - I think I did already know a fair bit about carb counting by the time I did DAFNE - I must have done some of my own reading, I guess).

Reactions: 7 people

monkehwife

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I was diagnosed 6months before a DAFNE course was even mentioned to me and then told there was a 12 month waiting list! So I still haven't had a course just fumbling along and hoping for the best

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I was diagnosed 6months before a DAFNE course was even mentioned to me and then told there was a 12 month waiting list! So I still haven't had a course just fumbling along and hoping for the best

Have a look at the following, its an on-line carb counting course based on the teachings of DAFNE:

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
I am feeling outraged.
I've read that people are being told they have to be diagnosed for at least a year before they can get on a DAFNE course or similar.
I feel really upset about this. I was diagnosed in June and went on my local course in October. Only there did I learn about ratios, sick days, travelling etc.
People cannot just fumble through for a year picking up back habits and not getting control.

Surely we can do something about this? What can we do?

I think it's something to do with the Honeymoon period, as when your first diagnosed with type one, your still have sparks of the hormone or their is potential, therefore, best to do DAFNE after the Honeymoon period. I agree re the education though, that should be done straight away, but with any education, got to be careful as a little info can also be as dangerous as none. DAFNE AND FITNESS/food programme should be compulsory. Maybe I could write a blog, I've learnt a lot over last ten years, might be worth sharing.. And others should write a blog on their experiences.. ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i've done it 3x once i went for the first session and didn't bother turning up again due to no1 my age there.
Second was 121 with a dietitian as i suffer anxiety
and the third time was in a group with people my age :D

There's a online version and a book called think like a pancreas that if you newly diagnosed have a look at them untill you can go on dafne/daffyd

sean1964

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin

I was diagnosed 6 months ago and have never even heard of DAFNE until i read this.

Mind you I wasn't told about much. Still it only needs a day looking at this website and others to become more knowledgeable than the nurses / dietitians I've met.
Lol, the doctor got the "type" wrong. 1 and 3c would both have been acceptable answers, He guessed 2.
The nurses never even heard of adjusting the insulin. One big useless joke.