Diabetic pizza effect?

Sigalit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I see this mentioned quite often around here, but I still have no idea what it's supposed to mean. I tried to google it, and guess what - all the links refer back to this forum. xD
So, what is it? :D

Sigalit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh, I see. Thanks for the explanation, that helps a lot. :)

I was asking because I have a recipe for mini pizzas (approx. as big as 2 slices), they'll be around 50 grams of carbs. It's 10 grams more than I should eat for lunch, but as a rare treat, I'm willing to risk it. I don't put cheese on my pizza (greasy, melted cheese is a nightmare of my childhood) - my favourite is with asparagus and fried egg.

Although, I never experienced that fat slowed down the BG rise for several hours - so much that I even dropped. Not once. My BG usually increases less than it would do without fat, and stays higher longer, but it's nothing dramatic, and when I test it before and after next meals, things are back to normal... Maybe it's because I usually keep portions so small. I'll have to ask my doctor next time I talk to her.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:)

I find that both fat and fibre can slow absorption.
(I've even added psyllium husks to things, on occasion, when I've known the spike is going to be too sharp)
But there's a limit to how much you can ruin perfectly good food, sometimes. ;)

Now, have you ever heard of The Chinese Restaurant Effect?
Cos that just goes waaaay over my head.

Sigalit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah, I much prefer fibre over fat.

I just googled it the Chinese Restaurant Effect. Now I wish I didn't. I want to be happily ignorant and believe that my celery and lettuce won't do anything to my BG. Because otherwise I don't know what to eat. :D

Reactions: 2 people

Sigalit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I did and no thanks. Drastically reducing one type of food while taking a lot of another simply doesn't seem like such a good idea to me. I prefer a more balanced diet. Besides, if the Chinese Restaurant Effect is true, then even LC is not really LC and can cause high blood sugar. ;)

I'm quite happy with my 140-150 grams of carbs per day. My BG is constantly decreasing - this week, before meal average is 5.0 (despite the dawning effect), and 2 hours after 5.6. I lost 8 kg in 3 months, and all my results (except the blasted C-peptid) are great. Despite eating things like tortilla, pasta, oatmeals, banana, whole-grain bread, etc. - although in portions that are about 1/3 of what I used to eat before.

Reactions: 7 people

LaineyK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sigalit. I'm doing same as you with carbs, not particularly low, but lower than a non diabetic. I'm type 1 and take Novorapid 3 times a day and lantus as a base once a day, are you on similar insulin, if so what sort of unit amounts do you inject? I only ask ask I've been diagnosed for less than 2 weeks, and trying to get to normal levels, I'm currently about 9 or 10 bg when I test, which is always before meals. But was diagnosed at 23!! So less than half now, am getting there:) thanks

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I did and no thanks. Drastically reducing one type of food while taking a lot of another simply doesn't seem like such a good idea to me. I prefer a more balanced diet. Besides, if the Chinese Restaurant Effect is true, then even LC is not really LC and can cause high blood sugar. ;)

I'm quite happy with my 140-150 grams of carbs per day. My BG is constantly decreasing - this week, before meal average is 5.0 (despite the dawning effect), and 2 hours after 5.6. I lost 8 kg in 3 months, and all my results (except the blasted C-peptid) are great. Despite eating things like tortilla, pasta, oatmeals, banana, whole-grain bread, etc. - although in portions that are about 1/3 of what I used to eat before.
It looks like your 8kg may be positively impacting on any insulin resistance you may suffer from. That has to be good news.

Sigalit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sigalit. I'm doing same as you with carbs, not particularly low, but lower than a non diabetic. I'm type 1 and take Novorapid 3 times a day and lantus as a base once a day, are you on similar insulin, if so what sort of unit amounts do you inject? I only ask ask I've been diagnosed for less than 2 weeks, and trying to get to normal levels, I'm currently about 9 or 10 bg when I test, which is always before meals. But was diagnosed at 23!! So less than half now, am getting there:) thanks

Hi, It's in my signature - Humulin 3, 20 units in the morning, 10 units in the evening. I was diagnosed with 16 before meals, and 24 after. To get to 9 or 10, especially if that's after meal, in 2 weeks is awesome. :) Few more weeks, and you'll have the normal values. :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people