Newly diagnosed and struggling with medication side effects

Gardengnome

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
going to a gym
hi all, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes on the 5th January and to be honest still trying to get my head around it. My GP has put me on metformin 500mg twice a day. Since starting the meds I have had the stomach problems which I have read about but also I have been having really bad muscle spasms starting in the middle of my back and coming round to the front. It doesn't say anything about this in the leaflet I have and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this as the pain is getting me down.

Also why is it that when you are told to give up or cut down on certain foods that is all you seems to crave when I didn't crave for them before so finding the diet thing really difficult at the moment also and hoping that this will get better with time.

I certainly have not taken the diagnoses in yet as a part of me still thinks that they have made a mistake.........also why are they not asking me to test my bloods? Is this usual?

Thanks in advance for any help
hi all, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes on the 5th January and to be honest still trying to get my head around it. My GP has put me on metformin 500mg twice a day. Since starting the meds I have had the stomach problems which I have read about but also I have been having really bad muscle spasms starting in the middle of my back and coming round to the front. It doesn't say anything about this in the leaflet I have and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this as the pain is getting me down.

Also why is it that when you are told to give up or cut down on certain foods that is all you seems to crave when I didn't crave for them before so finding the diet thing really difficult at the moment also and hoping that this will get better with time.

I certainly have not taken the diagnoses in yet as a part of me still thinks that they have made a mistake.........also why are they not asking me to test my bloods? Is this usual?

Thanks in advance for any help

Gardengnome

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
going to a gym
Can I just add to all the helpful advice given that GPs never seem to think people are capable of altering their life style, it's much easier for them to prescribe medication, Metformin in your case. Have you asked him for a slow release type, they have fewer cramping side effects.

Also the HFLC diet [google dietdoctor] works for many people

Reactions: 2 people

wmcoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
prejudice, judgments, dishonesty
Can I just add to all the helpful advice given that GPs never seem to think people are capable of altering their life style, it's much easier for them to prescribe medication, Metformin in your case. Have you asked him for a slow release type, they have fewer cramping side effects.

Also the HFLC diet [google dietdoctor] works for many people

Thanks for all the helpful advice, I am due to attend the clinic next week so am now armed with a lot more questions to ask and hopefully get the alternative meds and a metre. :)

Tng1971

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I had similar stomach issues with metformin and metformin sr to the point I felt I was housebound. My gp has put me onto gliclazide which works in a different way. Nearly 2 months later, seems all ok. You will find the right drug for you, just be honest with your gp. I stopped taking my drugs and didn't go to the gp. Ended up having a hyper followed by very blurred vision. I learnt the hard way as I had not been provided with any support, explanation or education.

Reactions: 2 people