Have you been told not to test your blood sugars?

crookycrumble

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My doctor issued me with a machine, strips and lancets, said I had to carry it with me as I was a driver be cause if I had a accident through a hypo I could be prosecuted if I wasn't carrying it, previous to this I used to buy mine and test regular, I wanted to know where I was with my levels, small price to pay really.

brottonmoores

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can get strips on prescription every other month which is better than nothing but I look on eBay and providing you really watch what you buy they are quite cheap
I totally agree with the general thoughts about testing more rather than less at least until I have some idea what my body likes or dosent like
Cheers
Jan
Ps I just wish it like carbs a bit more

Reactions: 2 people

crookycrumble

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I find it so hard because I'm vegetarian, and don't eat any meats, fish, eggs, I eat minimal cheese as I'm not over keen so I'm so limited...it's no good I'm going to have to get mega fit instead!

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP said no need and this was message pushed at the DESMOND. The lovely lady GP I spoke to this week to get my Hba1c called me a naughty girl for testing ( she was laughing ) as it can be stressful but was happy to accept that my reasoning that it made me feel in control rather than the other way round and she couldn't argue against my reducing BS levels. I can understand that it can get a bit obsessional sometimes but in the heat of panic post diagnosis it was the most helpful and reassuring tool I had along with this place as the surgery basically just said go away and lose weight.

Reactions: 10 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find it so hard because I'm vegetarian, and don't eat any meats, fish, eggs, I eat minimal cheese as I'm not over keen so I'm so limited...it's no good I'm going to have to get mega fit instead!

Check out the low carb forum. There's some good veggie recipes on there on various threads and even some vegan ones I think which may suit you if you don't eat eggs or cheese much either.

pamK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone just over a week ago asking about meters As like all nurses say not to test now as government want to cut the cost When I was first told it was 11 yrs ago and our health centre gives all type 2 the same meter as they say it is one of the best so have always used it . I wanted to buy a meter so i can test when i want to every couple of days to keep me on track
My meter which we all are given is FreeStyle and a yr ago they replaced it as i had had it quite sometime with the FreeStyle Freedom Lite i did a search and they are around £47 and the replacement are around £18 to £22 but could be cheaper on doing a search.
The one i purchased was the SD CodeFree Meter at £12.99 i thought you would like to see the read out which i did at the same time same drop of blood etc I did the morning test each morning on both these are the results

the SD CodeFree Meter 1) 9.8 2) 10.8 3) 9.4 Before bed 6.7
The FreeStyle Freedom Lite 1) 8.9 2) 8.9 3) 8.8 before bed 4.5

So will be sticking to the one I have from the nurse which has always been constant will try to get a repeat from her every 2 mths or do a search for the cheapest strips

We all have our own but thought this may let you see the difference that meters can give

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't understand why we shouldn't test, aren't the complications the same for all diabetics if their levels are too high? I'm going to carry on testing, don't care what 'they' say!

Reactions: 5 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
I can't understand why we shouldn't test, aren't the complications the same for all diabetics if their levels are too high? I'm going to carry on testing, don't care what 'they' say!
Well done rowan,testing is essential for diabetics,its the only way we can see whats affecting our bs levels by what we put in our body that turns to glucose ,keep testing!!!!

Reactions: 3 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My GP said no need and this was message pushed at the DESMOND. The lovely lady GP I spoke to this week to get my Hba1c called me a naughty girl for testing ( she was laughing ) as it can be stressful but was happy to accept that my reasoning that it made me feel in control rather than the other way round and she couldn't argue against my reducing BS levels. I can understand that it can get a bit obsessional sometimes but in the heat of panic post diagnosis it was the most helpful and reassuring tool I had along with this place as the surgery basically just said go away and lose weight.
Wholeheartedly agree with you CE! testing is the only way WE can be in control and get results! They tell us not too but then applaud our hba1c results and weight loss! ! Do they think it just happens??!! You have to smile!!

Reactions: 5 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Exactly rowan! ! Seeing as the majority of us type 2 are self - funded "they" can't stop us either can they?!!

Reactions: 6 people

brottonmoores

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love it when folk post their blood sugars and weight loss after their posts it really gives me hope on those days when I'm battling to get things into perspective.
Thank you all for helping me feel positive and stay on the right track
Love to all
Jan

Reactions: 12 people

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
A doctor told me once that i only needed to check my bg once per day, I'm T1D, this was a catalyst for me to ensure that i question everything a doctor says and don't take their advice on face value as they can be as wrong and as ignorant as the next moron.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A doctor told me once that i only needed to check my bg once per day, I'm T1D, this was a catalyst for me to ensure that i question everything a doctor says and don't take their advice on face value as they can be as wrong and as ignorant as the next moron.

I don't really understand insulin but don't you need to know your numbers to know how much insulin to take?

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
I don't really understand insulin but don't you need to know your numbers to know how much insulin to take?
Yes that's right, i suppose i should give him some credit he may have thought i was a T2, who knows, but i never checked in with him again after that i don't think he is at the surgery anymore, probably got struck off.

m0lsx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just been diagnosed & put onto tablets & I have no idea what my BS levels are & thus have no idea what is happening & I have not been told how to judge what is happening.

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just been diagnosed & put onto tablets & I have no idea what my BS levels are & thus have no idea what is happening & I have not been told how to judge what is happening.
Hi & welcome.
Your in the right place to find out what you need to know, just ask & some will point you in the right direction.
Here's a food list showing you what is best to eat in controlling things.
Ideas of food to buy

Beef Roast
Beef Steaks
Corned Beef
Ground Beef
Poultry
Canned Chicken
Chicken pieces, thighs, legs, wing, breast
Duck
Goose
Pheasant
Quail
Turkey: whole, breast, leg portions, or ground
Pork
Bacon
Ground Pork
Ham
Italian Sausage
Pork Chops
Pork Roasts
Pork Steaks
Pork Tenderloin
Sausages look for high meat content
Tinned Pork & Ham
Meat pastes

Fish
Canned Salmon
Crab
Flounder
Herring
Salmon
Sardines
Scallops
Shellfish
Shrimp
Sole
Trout
Tuna Fish
Fish pastes

Spices And Condiments
Chili Powder
Dry Packet Dressing & Dip Mixes
Garlic Powder Garlic Salt
Horseradish
Onion Powder
Paprika
Parmesan Cheese
Salt & Pepper
Salad Dressings
Salsa
Soy Sauce
Vinegar
Worcestershire Sauce
Yellow and Brown Mustard

Low Carb Syrups and Sweetener

Non-Starchy Vegetables
Artichokes
Asparagus
Avocado
Bean Sprouts
Bell Peppers (green, red, yellow, orange)
Broccoli
Brussels Sprouts
Cabbage
Cauliflower
Celery
Celeriac
Cucumbers
Fresh Spinach
Flower sprouts
Green Onions
Greens
Hot Peppers
Leeks
Lettuce
Mushrooms
Okra
Mushrooms
Radish
Peas
Yellow Onions
Red Onions
Squash
Zucchini
Note; frozen is most the time better than fresh.

Fats / Oils
Hollandaise Sauce
Mayonnaise
Olive Oil
Peanut Oil
Sesame Oil

Dairy and Non Dairy
Cheeses (hard)
Butter
Cream Cheese
Eggs
Heavy Whipping Cream
Sour Cream

Snacks and Other Goodies
Olives (black)
Peanut butter
Pork Scratchings
Heavy Cream
Ryvita. A good replacement for bread.
Nuts that you like.
Pates.

Breads
livlife
Burgen linseed & soya - shop around prices vary from like £1.59 coop to £1 asda.
The higher the fiber & lower the carbs the better.

Drinks
Bottled Water
Coffee (decaf) unless you can tolerate normal
Tea (decaf) unless you can tolerate normal

http://www.netrition.com/lowcarb_newbies_shopping_list.html

m0lsx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Paul, the nurse went through the food thing. But it was not until I got home & realised that it all meant nothing as I had no idea if the tablets are working & that I had been given no way of knowing what is happening to my BS. So if I am not testing & they are not testing how does anyone know what is happening & if things need to change.