HELP NEEDED

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning

I woke up at 1am this morning to find my 4th and little finger have got pins and needles and are numbish. Is this something that could be diabetes related? If so, do I need to get this checked today? I have an appointment on Monday with the diabetes nurse but I'm really worried :,(

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ulnar nerve [funny bone] compression, maybe from a bent elbow and sleeping funny on it?

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could be...just in panic mode as lots of things happening all at once :( if it was that would it last for hours? I've still got it...not improving :(

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Mention it ....... could be pinched nerve, could be something else. I'd certainly try some stretching in your upper arms for starters

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
yep, it can last for hours. should settle by tomorrow, don't bend your arm too much.
see nurse monday if still there, can arrange to do a nerve induction study on it if needed.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Yep, lower arm do not move too much if you can avoid it. I've had similar (once) and found shoulder upper arm movement relieved it.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
You are most welcome. I got it once in our winter .... left finger went numb for hours. It passes but you should try some gentle upper arm stretches and see if that realigns everything.

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just spoken to my friend actually she said exactly the same!! Will try that thanks

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Yep, that's what worked for me.

Move your "good" arm / hand over your other shoulder (across your neck) , grip the back of your "bad" shoulder and gently (GENTLY mind you) just move / swing the "bad" arm back and forth from your shoulder without stressing the elbow and the hand.

Reactions: 2 people

Kimberley70

See your nurse Monday it could be nerve related, I have this a lot but with my hand, fingers and arm. It can go in a few minutes or stay for hours, just be careful if picking anything up.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My left hand goes to sleep regularly at night whether the arm is compressed at any point or not. I can't get any blood out of the fingers on that side for testing. I play guitar a bit and getting the LH fingers to work at first is comical. Luckily I'm old so I put it down to age along with the dribbling, the bad memory, and being afraid of anyone under 25.