Started Metformin last week. First glucose test this morning - 19.6.

ianwas

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. Good advice from the other posters. If you are short of test strips just test 2 hours after a typical meal each day or perhaps not every day. Common sense applies to this and depends on your budget for extra strips. BTW statins have nothing to do with diabetes but the NHS insists on prescribing them regardless and sets lower limits for diabetics for no really good reason. If your cholesterol is quite low anyway you may want to think about whether you use them or not but you should tell the GP/nurse this.

I agree, there has been really helpful and informative advise given thus far, thank you all :)

I take your point too regarding the statins and I'll take further advice from my GP when next there.

Cheers.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To be honest finding the right or best types of food is not as simple as I first thought it would be, I just looked for lower sugar content on labels, only to find out that fat content goes up! Its a vicious circle and to be frank, after about a year I got bored 'label watching' as the food types were boring, if you get my drift. I too started eating more pasta etc (wholemeal so as to slow the sugar release) but my weight went back up!

Vicious circle.

Reading this morning 8.8 before eating & taking metformin.

Another question please. How many times a day do I test my glucose as I'm down to 3 test strips after basically two days?! Thanks.
a lot are on low carbs, it’s a long page and a few good video’s to tell how it works, fats/oils aren't bad
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. they don’t give up easy
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

Reactions: 2 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I take your point too regarding the statins and I'll take further advice from my GP when next there.

I came off them with the blessing of my GP because of the side effects I was having - he was also surprised my DN had prescribed them in the first place because my cholesterol was lower than his and he had no intention of going on them!!

Reactions: 5 people

ianwas

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)