FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sensor 8 deployed - awaiting activation tomorrow lunchtime.

No skin reactions yet, but I still have the 'puncture mark' from sensor 6 removed 2 weeks ago.

Sensor 8.jpg

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do want to give this a try but I'm not sure whether to considering the reviews given so far and the price to go along with it. Although, the graph it displays does look very useful...tempted to even alternate weeks with sensors and the finger prick

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do want to give this a try but I'm not sure whether to considering the reviews given so far and the price to go along with it. Although, the graph it displays does look very useful...tempted to even alternate weeks with sensors and the finger prick
They're not taking new customers at the moment, but you can sign up to be notified when they do:
https://www.freestylelibre.co.uk/customer/account/login/
If you like the idea, then it might be worth getting a starter kit to see how you get on (includes a reader and two sensors) when they are back on sale.

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They're not taking new customers at the moment, but you can sign up to be notified when they do:
https://www.freestylelibre.co.uk/customer/account/login/
If you like the idea, then it might be worth getting a starter kit to see how you get on (includes a reader and two sensors) when they are back on sale.
Oh right, cheers. The idea sound great it's just the execution that I'm slightly cautious of.
I think I'll sign up now and try the starter when I can though :)

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
Yo I would definately recommend you to give it a try. It's not perfect but better and easier than finger pricking, especially in the pub;p

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you treating with steroid cream?, I found that this worked wonderfully up to a point, but then dried my skin out and didn't do much after that. Good old fashioned Savlon has helped heal the dry skin and the redness. It still took a month to heal, and I've still got the slightest hint of red mark where I got the worst of the reactions.

I did treat it with steroid cream to start with. I'm now just using a moisturiser. I'm going to get some bio oil that someone mentioned earlier to see if that helps. Trouble is I know that when I put my last sensor on, the mark from a previous sensor got really itchy and inflamed again so I went to make sure they've cleared properly this time.

Smidge

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I found that Humalog was quicker than Novorapid. Apidra is supposed to be fastest, although never used it myself.

I used to think Apidra was fast, but the Libre proved me wrong on that! For breakfast I have to jab 20 - 30 minutes before eating.

Smidge

Reactions: 6 people

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I apologise if these questions have already been answered but I'm new to this site.
I'm out and about in all weathers sometimes working hard and do quite a bit of long distance driving.
a) How accurate is the meter?
b) Is it affected by temperature much? I notice on the Libre website it advises moving to a warmer location, often impossible for me.
c) Do you carry a back up meter and finger pricker with you?

Sideburnt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to think Apidra was fast, but the Libre proved me wrong on that! For breakfast I have to jab 20 - 30 minutes before eating.

Smidge
I switched to Apidra from Humalog. I can't say it's any noticeably faster. I'd even go so far as to say that all Rapid acting insulin don't really kick in for about 20 - 30 mins. I long for the day that Ultra rapid insulins become available. I read yesterday that Afreeza is starting to be issued in the US, and we're not far off European FDA approval. Fingers crossed.

Andy_P

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I apologise if these questions have already been answered but I'm new to this site.
I'm out and about in all weathers sometimes working hard and do quite a bit of long distance driving.
a) How accurate is the meter?
b) Is it affected by temperature much? I notice on the Libre website it advises moving to a warmer location, often impossible for me.
c) Do you carry a back up meter and finger pricker with you?

In answer to your questions.

a) I would suggest browsing through the numerous postings on this thread. Accuracy can vary!
b) I have found that both the sensor and readers can struggle when temperatures are below 5 degrees.
c) Definitely.

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In answer to your questions.

a) I would suggest browsing through the numerous postings on this thread. Accuracy can vary!
b) I have found that both the sensor and readers can struggle when temperatures are below 5 degrees.
c) Definitely.

Thanks, based on that I'll not jump yet.
Interesting technology, I'm sure the bugs will get ironed out and the prices reduce with time.

:)

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
Scanners will be available in March I was told. Seem to be out of stock now. Think that means availibility for new customers will also be from March on.

lollloll

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I've been browsing forums regarding people's views on the libre, I *was* about to self fund a CGM but will be trying this first (I had reaction to adhesive on CGM I previously trialed) as *much* cheaper than a CGM.
I too am 'on the waiting list' but hoping to have it by April as I'm running the London Marathon for the 1st time and this system appears way easier than having to cart the finger prick gear with me and stop to test...
Any other runners out there have any tips for glucose monitoring on the hop so to speak...

Reactions: 2 people

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I've been browsing forums regarding people's views on the libre, I *was* about to self fund a CGM but will be trying this first (I had reaction to adhesive on CGM I previously trialed) as *much* cheaper than a CGM.
I too am 'on the waiting list' but hoping to have it by April as I'm running the London Marathon for the 1st time and this system appears way easier than having to cart the finger prick gear with me and stop to test...
Any other runners out there have any tips for glucose monitoring on the hop so to speak...

Will you use the Libre all the time or just when you're planning a run?

lollloll

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Will you use the Libre all the time or just when you're planning a run?
I was planning on using it all the time as I want to reduce my blood sugars and hope by making it easier and quicker to 'scan' myself this will give me better control as well as having a more accurate picture of my blood sugars over a constant period, well 8hrs at least.

Andy_P

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As promised, an update on my latest sensor (no. 7)

I applied the Cavilon spray before putting the sensor on and then as with previous sensors put some Opsite on to protect it. It felt fine and then began to feel a bit itchy at the end of week one. It became very itchy but not unbearable up until yesterday morning when it fell off. As you can see from the photo there is irritation their again but not the worst. So in summary, I think the Cavilon helped for a while but is obviously not the complete solution. Does anyone else have any ideas or suggestions?

IMG_1873.JPG

darrenh04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As promised, an update on my latest sensor (no. 7)

I applied the Cavilon spray before putting the sensor on and then as with previous sensors put some Opsite....

I have just got some safeskin which is like cavilon and was just about to apply today but have been delayed. A little in two minds now. Other option my DSN said was to put Opsite under the Libre. @Sideburnt says to cut a small hole for the needle. Think doughnut. Maybe I try that option. Thanks so much for the feed back, sorry about the reaction I know how sore that can be.[/QUOTE]

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
**** Andy, that looks pretty bad. Think I wouldn't continue using Libre if I'd get skin reaction like that.

BTW, is there a website where i can find the 'opsite' everybody is writing about?