Saw my diabetes nurse today

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes Bluetit, I got a print out of previous results but I've only been with this surgery since last April so there's not many yet.
Also a few years ago when I was a lot heavier my cholesterol went up high but my doctor said I couldn't go on statins because of some of the other drugs I'm on. Can't rsay I'm upset about that, I don't want to go on them anyway ;)
I've just rememebr something else, I asked the nurse about my high levels in the morning and mentioned dawn phenomena or liver dump and she said "Oh i haven't a clue about these scientific reasons for high morning levels!" and left it at that! Shouldn't diabetic nurses know these things?

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
So what do your print outs say about your cholesterol and lipids (and triglycerides)? Are they very high still?

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I only got the print out of glucose levels, but my cholesterol was around teh 3-4 mark, can't remember exactly.
I'll ask for full print-outs from now on though.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I met up with an old friend recently who told me her husband was diagnosed 3 months ago and his bs levels had not come down despite following the nurses advice...on diet..:banghead:..I am surprised people aren't taking legal action it does seem criminal...

How about a sweepstake on the date for the first class action to be lodged in the US?

Reactions: 4 people

comfort

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Rowan, you need to ask for a print out of your blood test results. You are entitled to these. They are invaluable as you can peruse them at leisure and learn what is good and bad, and can compare your results with future ones. This is important for cholesterol, especially if they want you to go on statins and start blaming a higher fat diet for the rise.
Hi . you say that we are entitled to a printout of the test results. Do we have to pay? I asked my nurse for a printout and she said that her computer couldn't print it or. What do I do now?

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So what do your print outs say about your cholesterol and lipids (and triglycerides)? Are they very high still?

I only realised that the printout I was given did have the cholesterol on, I've added it to my signature.
I don't know what theh lipids are?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Hi . you say that we are entitled to a printout of the test results. Do we have to pay? I asked my nurse for a printout and she said that her computer couldn't print it or. What do I do now?
I don't think you should have to pay. All I can suggest is that you may need to be persistent to get a copy of your lab results. If she can't print it, ask her to read the results to you and write them down. Or find a computer that is attached to a printer. Or email them to you. Or bring them up on the computer screen and take a photo of it with your smart phone. In my opinion it's vital for a patient to have this information to be able to manage their condition(s), what ever they are.

Reactions: 3 people

comfort

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think you should have to pay. All I can suggest is that you may need to be persistent to get a copy of your lab results. If she can't print it, ask her to read the results to you and write them down. Or find a computer that is attached to a printer. Or email them to you. Or bring them up on the computer screen and take a photo of it with your smart phone. In my opinion it's vital for a patient to have this information to be able to manage their condition(s), what ever they are.
Thanks for the reply. I'll contact the surgery next week.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Good luck and be polite, but persistent!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

As said by @NoCrbs4Me yes, you are entitled, no you shouldn't have to pay. It's only one sheet of A4 paper. Your nurse was being lazy or unhelpful. Presumably the receptionist has a printer attached to the computer, or a secretary, it isn't rocket science. I've never had a problem. Once, my nurse said she was useless with the printer so she got up and asked someone else to do it for me. At the very least you need to have them written down.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I only realised that the printout I was given did have the cholesterol on, I've added it to my signature.
I don't know what theh lipids are?

The lipids are the LDL/HDL and triglycerides. You don't seem to have your triglycerides. These are the important little beggars.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The lipids are the LDL/HDL and triglycerides. You don't seem to have your triglycerides. These are the important little beggars.

Thank you, will ask for a full print out next month when I have the next test :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was blown away by the helpfulness of my nurse this week.

I rang reception to ask if my blood test results were back, and if so, could I have a copy to take to a clinic appt.

Nurse busy, but would ring me back.

Yeah, right. I shrugged and assumed I would hear nothing.

Imagine my shock when I got a call 20 mins later, saying
' I've checked, and your results arent back yet, so I rang the lab and they've emailed me a copy, which I have printed off, put in an envelope, and it's waiting in reception.'

My gob was smacked.
But not so smacked that I didn't thank her PROFUSELY!

Reactions: 8 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
ask for the first figure.
Write it down.
ask for the second figure.
write it down.
<repeat ad infinitum>
It is amazing how quickly they learn to print :cool:

Reactions: 5 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ask for the first figure.
Write it down.
ask for the second figure.
write it down.
<repeat ad infinitum>
It is amazing how quickly they learn to print :cool:
With reference ranges for every test of course!

killerkaz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I to ignored my DPN and followed advice on this site, when I went for my first review this month after diagnosis in October I was nearly 2 stones lighter, hbac1 was down from 66 to 41, cholesterol down to 3.3 and blood pressure down. She reduced my metformin and was very interested in lchf. And it was her who told me to eat carbs with every meal only a few months ago. I think we are educating them as they can't argue with the results

Reactions: 8 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I to ignored my DPN and followed advice on this site, when I went for my first review this month after diagnosis in October I was nearly 2 stones lighter, hbac1 was down from 66 to 41, cholesterol down to 3.3 and blood pressure down. She reduced my metformin and was very interested in lchf. And it was her who told me to eat carbs with every meal only a few months ago. I think we are educating them as they can't argue with the results

Fantastic! :D

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Brilliant :D

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Thank you everyone :)
I used to have porridge for breakfast, jacket spud and beans for lunch and a healthy pasta meal for dinner, all on nurses recommendations! No wonder I was out of control!
I haven't had beans since I started all this but I've bought some low sugar ones I thought would be better, I'll make sure to test before and after!
This sounds strangely familiar and was part of the reason I piled on the weight. For some reason as the insulin flooded my body I got hungrier and hungrier! Why could that be?:rolleyes:

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This sounds strangely familiar and was part of the reason I piled on the weight. For some reason as the insulin flooded my body I got hungrier and hungrier! Why could that be?:rolleyes:

No idea, perhaps we were given the wrong advice? :confused:

It's pretty disgusting when you think about it. a whole generation of people with serious medical problems just because they believed in and followed NHS guidelines :mad:

Reactions: 4 people