Steroid-Induced Diabetes

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Thank you cherub - autoimmune system faulty and 50 years on Prednisolone could cause me problems. Lol

Reactions: 2 people

solitaire

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
miserable moaning people!
Thank you cherub - autoimmune system faulty and 50 years on Prednisolone could cause me problems. Lol[/QUOTE Your comment made me feel better as I have been on prednisolone for 38 years and was diagnosed with steroidal induced diabetes about 5 years ago. Manage to keep other problems (ileostomy, fibromyalgia, arthritis,osteoporosis, broken pelvis and remission from breast cancer under control. Diabetes controlled with prednisolone and metformin plus I now use Nova rapid 4 x daily and lantus 1 x day to keep sugars under control. I am in constant pain but manage to cope with this whilst cocktail of medicines keep me going ! Only problem arises when "helpful" new doctors insist that I cut the steroids down ! Have tried several times only to have everything go wrong.

Reactions: 2 people

lindaswinburn

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, catherinecherub.
Hi Kay60, like you I was on long term prednisolone. I developed raised blood sugars maybe up to 10 on occasions but my GP wasn't concerned and said it wasn't too high and was only temporary. I was on the steroids for a year before I decided to come off them as they weren't doing me any good. I checked my sugar only very occasionally after that and they were high end of normal. I was then given steroids again last year for a chest infection, I started checking my sugars again and this time they didn't go down to normal. My hbA1c was normal before Christmas although I had high daily readings. They are currently in the 7s and 8s after meals, but today after a sugary drink it was over 13. I have made an appt to see my doctor next week. What readings did you have, and what blood tests to be diagnosed? What medication are you on. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Kay60

Hi Lindaswinburn, I'm definitely no expert! Reading from the printout I requested after my diagnosis on 10-09-14, my fasting glucose was 6.6 (poor control) and my HbA1c was 56mmol/mol (above high reference limit). I'm on 500mg of metformin daily: my doctor doesn't want to increase it until after my colonoscopy, as I had some stomach problems prior to my diagnosis. In fact, that's what he was actually investigating when the diabetes was discovered. I've been struggling with self monitoring but, recently, my blood glucose shot into the 10s two hours after a large slice of pizza! I do hope this is of at least some little help to you. All the best!