Diet drinks

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've never really like diet drinks because I hate the taste of sweeteners and refuse to eat/drink anything containing aspartame. But I do like a fizzy drink occasionally and doscovered that diet Vimto doesn't have aspartame, it's sweetened with Acesulfame K. It's my favourite fizzy so bought a bottle to ty and it's really quite nice, first diet drink that tastes ok.
But then I googled Acesulfame K and saw this:
"Acesulfame K stimulates insulin secretion in a dose dependent fashion thereby possibly aggravating reactive hypoglycemia ("low blood sugar attacks")."

I'd only have an occasional drink so don't thnk it will affect me, but I don't really understand what this is and don't want to ruin all my good work! I've also heard that we shouldn't really drink diet drinks but don't really know why. Should I chuck it away or is an occasional can ok?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
But in what quantities does it effect bg control?

I don't know, I've drank diet drinks plenty of times before and not noticed any changes.

Reactions: 2 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I have pepsi max or other diet fizzy from time to time.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I suspect that you are ok with anything in moderation. But it is sometimes hard to know whether my moderation matches your moderation.

My reasons for avoiding artificial sweeteners are various:
Some of them keep me awake
The chemical ones taste vile (to me)
They train my taste buds to expect sweetness, and I'm avoiding it wherever possible
There have been studies suggesting that the body behaves the same with sweeteners as it does with sugar, but then when no sugar enters the bloodstream, digestive and hormone balances are off. (Sorry, no links, but google will find them for you)

Thankyou for the info about reactive hypoglycaemia - I have experienced it, and don't want it triggered by a sweetener!

My sweetener preference is for xylitol (for flavour) and erythritol (for all round benefits)

I never drink pop for all the reasons above. I used to love Vimto, bitter lemon and Lilt.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven't had anything sweet for a couple of weeks now and teh vimto was lovely! I wouldn't have it every day and it would mainly be in wwarmer weather, I'm happy with water, chai and green teas most of the time.
will do a bit more research on it, don't want to confuse my body if I can help it, I'm confused enough as it is ;)

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
I buy sugar free Vimto cordial it has the same sweetener in it I have never noticed any change in my BG levels but I only have an occasional mug and drink it hot.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have Pepsi max or Coke zero regularly and it has never effected my blood sugars at all :)

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tried vimto squash once but because I was used to the fizzy one it tasted like it was flat fizzy! Can't imagine it hot although I like hot ribena.

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
I tried vimto squash once but because I was used to the fizzy one it tasted like it was flat fizzy! Can't imagine it hot although I like hot ribena.

Well as they say the only way to find out is if you try it, only buy the sugar free and be sparing with it as it is still quite sweet, yummy though and no bg increase

Paulie1Leg_

Hey ladies and Gents!
Hope you are all well today!

Can you clear up my confusing please?...
Is the calorie content for this entire 1 litre bottle 100cals? Or is the calories on the bottle (10cals per 100ml mixed?) I am a tad confused.

Basically if I use 100ml of undiluted squash is that 10 cals?

Thank you so much,

Paul

Attachments

• 20150207_175439-1.jpg
    20150207_175439-1.jpg
    486.4 KB · Views: 214

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes that's how I understand it. 100ml glass would be 10 kcal & the whole litre bottle 100 kcals.

Paulie1Leg_

Thank you. I use an app called MyFitnessPal and it gave me different readings.
Thank you Medusa.
So the entire bottle will be only 100cals, that's good to know. I can drink more of it in that case! ;)

K

Kat100

I do like coke zero , or sugarfree low cal drink of choice ...
I love the ginger beer ... There is some choice available ...but personal taste of course ...

I an not a tea drinker and an only sometimes coffee one ...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I do like coke zero , or sugarfree low cal drink of choice ...
I love the ginger beer ... There is some choice available ...but personal taste of course ...

I an not a tea drinker and an only sometimes coffee one ...

The diet drinks are very good nowadays Kat, when I was first diagnosed there wasn't many around, the 2 I can recall were 1 Cal and TAB, both weren't very nice and left a after-taste.

K

Kat100

The diet drinks are very good nowadays Kat, when I was first diagnosed there wasn't many around, the 2 I can recall were 1 Cal and TAB, both weren't very nice and left a after-taste.
Hi @noblehead , I think it is great we have so much more choice ....they can make a refreshing drink now and again ...
It is good to see progress , so many more people buying them ... Best wishes Kat

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi @noblehead , I think it is great we have so much more choice ....they can make a refreshing drink now and again ...
It is good to see progress , so many more people buying them ... Best wishes Kat

There is a good range, I like the Robinson's No Added Sugar fruit squash, especially the orange & mango flavour. Usually the No Added Sugar/Sugar Free squash range in supermarkets have a blue screw top which is helpful so that you don't pick the wrong one up.