Hey, can you do sport?

Hollister

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes :p
It doesn't stop you at all. You just need to make sure you have a snakc after or during the sport, because your blood sugars rise during the excercise then drop right down after.

I play football, run and horse ride. The only time I think about my diabetes when doing sport is when I get an adrenaline rush. Im not sure if it's a low or not lol!

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Diabetes is a condition in which the cells of the body can not effectively use the blood glucose for energy production or storage.
This is due to lack of insulin (Type I), or insulin resistance (type II).
In other words, the body's inability to make good use of glucose for energy will greatly reduce the ability of your body to perform physical activity as continuous running.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Gabriel
Do you really think that these guys have reduced ability to do continuous exercise ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_Novo_Nordisk
(I've even managed a couple of marathons myself and because I'm not fast they definitely involved running for a long time! )

No doubt we need to control diabetes to do it and T1s need to take insulin. It's not a good idea to exercise with very high glucose levels but fortunately exercise helps a lot for both T1 and T2.

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi Gabriel
Do you really think that these guys have reduced ability to do continuous exercise ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_Novo_Nordisk
(I've even managed a couple of marathons myself and because I'm not fast they definitely involved running for a long time! )

No doubt we need to control diabetes to do it and T1s need to take insulin. It's not a good idea to exercise with very high glucose levels but fortunately exercise helps a lot for both T1 and T2.

Hi phoenix,
I believe that the body when given the instructions to do something it will do it no matter what the conditions, it's just about believing you can do it. As Henry Ford said whether you think you can or think you can't, you are right.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In other words, the body's inability to make good use of glucose for energy will greatly reduce the ability of your body to perform physical activity as continuous running.

Sorry, but I disagree.

I know a type 1 who was diagnosed at 11. He is now 21. He has been one of his school's star sportsmen for all of that time. He now coaches cricket, weight trains, plays cricket for the county, rugby for his university, and football with his old team (when he has the time).

Is it always easy? Of course not. But he does it all, and he does it very, very well.

My personal view is that if he switched to ketosis and lower carbing, he could do even better. But that is a different discussion.

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Gary Mabbutt was a good footballer and diagnosed T1 when playing for Bristol City.. He then went to Spurs and also England. He was a better player than his non diabetic playing brother Kevin.
Diabetes T1 never stopped him..

basketballjack

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I now I play basketball every Thursday and Friday in my local sport centre I always go hi after and then drop down strait away.

Reactions: 2 people