Any lunatics do this here?

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have an excuse. I am 61 and don't bounce up anymore. If I fall over, I need assistance getting back up.

But, maybe some of you younger types?

Reactions: 6 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Ha

I tried a unicycle, couldn't even stay on it for a second!

britincali

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to drag race a 100hp scrambler up 800 ft sand dunes :). Good times !

prez9.jpg

That's competition hill at Dumont dunes in Southern California, one of my favourite places in the world :)

And here was my weapon

Janiept

Expert
I think that's definitely a spectator sport and not for the masses :D.
I am going to suggest it to my son who is a bike nut, but think I know what his reaction will be.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yeah do this every weekend Yorksman :D

It would be bad enough on two wheels never mind one, very surprised they don't have broken bones.

Reactions: 2 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It would be bad enough on two wheels never mind one, very surprised they don't have broken bones.

Well, I'm going to this place in summer but I will be sticking to the path by the lake that you can see in the valley bottom.

As far as broken bones are concerned, just think of the cost of getting a helipcopter to rescue you. About 2 mins 50 sec into the video:

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Unicycles have no place outside a circus. Completely impractical and inefficient as a means of transport.

I'd happily take my MTB down that though, it would also make a good spot for a nice long run.

Reactions: 4 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unicycles have no place outside a circus.

There was a reason why I used the term 'lunatics'.

Here's a link to a vid, I won't post the vid, of someone hopping up 68 steps on a unicycle.

Why?

fluffy2092

I notice they are all "cycling" down hill. Going uphill, they have no gearing. They'd never be able to get up some of those inclines while on the unicycle. BTW, I need help to get up too. I'm 54 and I'm still out and about on my mountain bike.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
28 on the front, 32 on the back you can climb anything:)

DickBarton

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Same old...why???; Profile biogs - they sound like dating profiles!
28/32 - good grief man, are you still riding 90s groupsets? If so, very well done (or of course you are out often enough to keep the legs in tip top shape to turn that) OR you live in the Netherlands so have no hills to contend with! ;-)

I do the mountain biking - not very well - but I tend to fall off and after lying on the ground for a while I tend to get up...

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
28/32 - good grief man, are you still riding 90s groupsets? If so, very well done (or of course you are out often enough to keep the legs in tip top shape to turn that) OR you live in the Netherlands so have no hills to contend with! ;-)

I do the mountain biking - not very well - but I tend to fall off and after lying on the ground for a while I tend to get up...

I live in Cambridgeshire, so pretty flat, but most of the time I'm in the middle ring offroad - 29" wheels make a difference as well. One of my roadbikes has a triple - 52-42-32, I've never used the granny ring round here, the other is a 53-42, not much need for a compact roudn here.

Last time I needed serious gearing was riding up a 10% average gradient for 10km in the alps. Granny ring was definitely used that day. Near my sister's in the new forest there's a 25% hil. I gave up on that one.

DickBarton

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Same old...why???; Profile biogs - they sound like dating profiles!
No, you didn't give it...you have just lulled it into a false sense of security...no doubt you'll sneak up and surprise it! ;-)

Yes, I do tell myself that sort of mince whilst out on my bike...been utterly scunnered over last 5 months as been working pretty much flat out...any time out on the bike has killed me so my 20-miler MTB ride has ended up being a 4 or 5 miler and I've suffered all the way on it! Need to get it sorted!

Saying that, I've just rebuilt my Pace and put 2x10 gearing on it - plan is to use it mainly to get to work but I've already noticed that the 26-38 front is too small...I'm trying to find a 40 or ideally a 42...

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just realised I'm up your way next week, a couple of days at Grangemouth. No time for anyhting fun though. Every time I drive back to Edinburgh airport I keep thinking I need to head into those hills.