Peanuts and wine

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Have been reading variou threads etc.
I am T2 and have decided it's about time I took it seriously.
Sweets & chocolates I can walk past them. Peanuts can I rearly eat them? How about the salted ones, can I, if yes hos much in one sitting, I love peanuts and I am totally addicted to cheese, how much cheese is it ok to have per day.
Wine, can I have dry white, how much?
I am trying to be good, but I know I have little willpower.
Yes I do know about the problems that diabetes can have. My sister was type 2 and had eye problems, but it was cancer in the end.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I have lots of nuts and some with lots of salt.
The nuts to avoid for me are those with honey or chilli coatings as they tend to sugar me up but nuts is good.
The wine is good for some impossible for others.
You need to test these things out using a meter.
I rarely have wine these days but always loved a nice bottle of red and yes I would drink a bottle without pro0blem ... no drunkeness no slurred speech but a bottle of wine for big bloke is not a lot.
I have now switched to spirits if I have a drink

Vodka being the safest for me.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Millysue, you need to test.

Salt is fine and salted peanuts are fine in moderation as peanuts are a bit high in both carbs and protein.

So eat a small bag and test.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Peanuts x 100g I just had were 13.8g!!

Worth checking packets!!!

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy unshelled peanuts, find a nice radio prog while I'm shelling them, & put them on a tray in the oven for 15-20 mins at 150C. Good value if you put them in with something else already cooking.

Reactions: 2 people

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find a glass of red wine and some nuts are really civilised "aperitif" and help you to feel like everyone else without affecting glucose levels too much.
Try testing and see how it is for you.

Good luck,

Jane.

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers to all above, peanuts and a glass of red, that has put a smile on my face.

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
Sweets & chocolates I can walk past them. Peanuts can I rearly eat them? How about the salted ones, can I, if yes hos much in one sitting, I love peanuts and I am totally addicted to cheese, how much cheese is it ok to have per day.
Yes I do know about the problems that diabetes can have. My sister was type 2 and had eye problems, but it was cancer in the end.
Hi @millysue ,
Maybe think of eating a Low Carb High Fat Diet, if you look at the posts on LCHF, or What have you eaten today you will get some idea.
On this diet, Peanuts and cheese can be eaten whenever you want, and as much as you want.
LCHF will also help in Lowering Blood Glucose, and with some exercise thrown in, will help Weight issues, and you will feel great.
It works for me and many on the forum,
Worth a try ? and enjoy the cheese;):)
PS I don't drink, (used to), but I cant handle alcohol, it spikes me to much, but nothing wrong with a Dry wine if you can handle it

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Salted roasted peanuts have the lowest GI of any food and so are absorbed slowly by the body. Thats the reason that you can have some and not because they are carb free because they are not carb free.

I understand from other posters that some processed cheese is bulked out with potato starch. Check the label and only buy cheese with a low carb content.

The advice for wine for diabetics is the same as it is for non-diabetics. It's something like 21 units a week for men and 18 for women (needs checking). Having said that I find that I gain weight when I drink wine but few people drink as much as I do once I start.

Tinmis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
illness
I find it all so confusing ! I thought salted any thing was a no no and a Glass of red in moderation ok ( to my shame over did last night). Did both to excess before T2 diagnosis last sept with reading of 78mmol on the Hb1ac, got serious dropped alcohol for a bit and got rid of salt and saturated fat via cheese, processed food etc.. Not a diet just changed what ate. Re introduced a glass of red, but drink with fizzy water, and always have a tub of unsalted nuts around, mixture of mainly walnuts, with almond, Brazil, cashews, etc and seeds ( got to quite like them). Dropped over 2 stone reading was 33mmol in Jan. cheese as opposed to big slices, now occasionally flake a strong blue into a salad. Added bonus cholesterol dropped by 20%. Good luck worth getting serious, it does make a difference

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @millysue ,
Maybe think of eating a Low Carb High Fat Diet, if you look at the posts on LCHF, or What have you eaten today you will get some idea.
On this diet, Peanuts and cheese can be eaten whenever you want, and as much as you want.
LCHF will also help in Lowering Blood Glucose, and with some exercise thrown in, will help Weight issues, and you will feel great.
It works for me and many on the forum,
Worth a try ? and enjoy the cheese;):)
PS I don't drink, (used to), but I cant handle alcohol, it spikes me to much, but nothing wrong with a Dry wine if you can handle it

Hi, I am trying the lchf, I am a veggie that eats some fish. I love roasted root veg, which I know no is a no, no. I also need to lower my cholesterol I don't want to go back on statins due to cramps in legs and feet.
I love str fry veg.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Hi, I am trying the lchf, I am a veggie that eats some fish. I love roasted root veg, which I know no is a no, no. I also need to lower my cholesterol I don't want to go back on statins due to cramps in legs and feet.
I love str fry veg.
I like stir fry veg too and have taken to having grilled cheese on top of it..

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Millly have you tried roasted celeriac and swede I roast them just as you would spuds and I add a quartered onion and a few garlic cloves to the roasting tin I cook them in coconut oil .
My evening treat is peanuts red wine and a square of dark choc yum!
CAROL

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you like almonds you can get smoked ones, madebyBlue Diamond, which are delicious - problem is that it's too easy to eat a packet in one go so I have to consciously ration myself! They also do sea salted ones but not tried these yet.

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Millly have you tried roasted celeriac and swede I roast them just as you would spuds and I add a quartered onion and a few garlic cloves to the roasting tin I cook them in coconut oil .
My evening treat is peanuts red wine and a square of dark choc yum!
CAROL
Thank Carol, will try the celeriac and swede. Do you know if butternut squash is as high in sugars as parsnips and potatoes?
I bought some peanuts yesturday, have been good (for me that is ) have only eaten half the packet. Sweets and chocolates, I dont touch them I can live without, it's the savoury stuff I crave.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank Carol, will try the celeriac and swede. Do you know if butternut squash is as high in sugars as parsnips and potatoes?
I bought some peanuts yesturday, have been good (for me that is ) have only eaten half the packet. Sweets and chocolates, I dont touch them I can live without, it's the savoury stuff I crave.

I eat quite a lot of peanuts (for me) these days. I have to keep an eye on how many I eat; because if I have too many, they upset my system (rather than necessarily my bloods). I have found a heaped eggcup full is around 28-30g, by weight, and is quite a few nuts to nibble on with some cheese or olives. Once you've done your weighing, and decided on your "dose", you probably don't need to weigh any more - unless you are naughty and slip a few more in each time, because nobody's looking!