Feeling a bit out of place

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well as the title says. I do not seem to be diabetic any more, have almost given up testing, can eat whatever I like. For example today went for pub meal and had 1/2 chicken, ribs, chips (plate full), choc fudge cake and ice cream. Bloods came out at 1hr, 90mins, 2hr, 3hr as 6.8, 7.2, 6.2, 5.4 BTW first time I have tested in a fortnight. As you know my last 2 HbA1cs are 35 and 33 whilst eating high carbs.

So where do I go from here? Do I continue to give advice given that my experience is going to become further and further in the past? Should I just become a "social member"?

Additionally @daisy1 can you consider providing links in the basic information to useful pieces of research such as that for the Newcastle Study, Southport GPs paper so that the newbies know there is some hope instead of just the standard NHS "its progressive and you are just going to get worse" **** that is spouted - no wonder people arrive here depressed and lost.

Reactions: 16 people

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well as the title says. I do not seem to be diabetic any more, have almost given up testing, can eat whatever I like. For example today went for pub meal and had 1/2 chicken, ribs, chips (plate full), choc fudge cake and ice cream. Bloods came out at 1hr, 90mins, 2hr, 3hr as 6.8, 7.2, 6.2, 5.4 BTW first time I have tested in a fortnight. As you know my last 2 HbA1cs are 35 and 33 whilst eating high carbs.

So where do I go from here? Do I continue to give advice given that my experience is going to become further and further in the past? Should I just become a "social member"?

Additionally @daisy1 can you consider providing links in the basic information to useful pieces of research such as that for the Newcastle Study, Southport GPs paper so that the newbies know there is some hope instead of just the standard NHS "its progressive and you are just going to get worse" **** that is spouted - no wonder people arrive here depressed and lost.
Great to here your levels are nice & low.
You stick with us. Your journey can helpful to many.
I think the NHS instead of giving the gobbledegock they do, should signpost newbies to this site or the main site & they can join us from there if they wish, but after reading the main site they sure will join us. Most of the NHS Dr's & Dn's know about the site so why not just send them to it.

Reactions: 5 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great news for you. Don't be a stranger here. Keep spreading the word. If you perceive that you have an advantage or privilege, please use it to help others.

Reactions: 2 people

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh yes & I notice you took a 90 minute reading that was higher than the 1hr, any particular reason you took the 90 min one. I have not as yet seen anyone use that timing for a reading but I was only just mentioned it a short time ago in another thread.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
As another non diabetic, I wonder why I stick around!
But as you have, I like being here!
You are experienced at giving.good. advice and you do make a difference.
Stick to us mate and keep posting.

Reactions: 4 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Oh yes & I notice you took a 90 minute reading that was higher than the 1hr, any particular reason you took the 90 min one. I have not as yet seen anyone use that timing for a reading but I was only just mentioned it a short time ago in another thread.
Yes the high fat from the meat and icecream delays the peak so was trying to see if I was still rising at 2 hours or on my way down. With only 1 hour and 2 hour you cannot tell. if my 2 hour had been higher than 90 mins reading I would have done a 2.5 hour reading as well. This is just the way I have learnt to test to be able to get a fairly accurate profile of my BG response

Reactions: 6 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi. To be fair Daisy does provide a lot of info about keeping the carbs down which is the important thing. The ND is not targeted at diabetics as such but originated from the need for those having bariatric surgery to crash diet. It focuses on reducing calories not carbs. Overall it does help many but focussing on reducing the carbs is a better start point for us and should form part of a permanent change in life-style.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I would be sorry to see you go.

As an example of 'reversal' you make some great contributions.

Besides, I'd miss you.:)

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you T2, Andrew? Was this because you did the Newcastle diet?

Don't go - and keep your software going!

G

graj0

Well done an achieving such good results. I expect your current weight has a great deal to the way you can now handle the carbs and sugary stuff. I wouldn't like to give you advise, except don't get too complacent, things have a tendency to bite me on the bum when I get too laid back about things. It would be useful for you to stick around, partially as a role model (the weight loss thing is brilliant) and you've got a really good story to share. Goo Luck, whatever you do.
BTW, as nice as the pub lunch was . . . . . . . . be careful.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Are you T2, Andrew? Was this because you did the Newcastle diet?

Don't go - and keep your software going!
I was diagnosed as type 2 December 2013 and I did a very low calorie diet prior to finding out about the newcastle diet but the basic answer is yes to both.

I haven't made many changes to the software for a while ( 7 day blood pressure averages was the last change) but I am quite willing to do them if people have requests.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I do a reading every half an hour when I have eaten a "Dodgy" meal. I find my peaks are often at 90 minutes in those cases.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You are an example of Type 2 reversal (hopefully this will continue) so your contributions are invaluable. People often tag you for an input (I am one of them)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I am in a similar situation as you @Andrew Colvin . Except, I still have not lost all the weight I need to lose. I have asked myself why I still hang around here too. The reasons I have come up with are: I am still learning from other members, and this is a place where new developments are discussed; I can, perhaps, show others that T2 does not have to progress as some HCPs would have us believe; there is a social element to participation in forum discussions. Not all reasons are selfless though, there is still the element of fear that I will once again start to have BG levels in diabetic range, and I want to keep as well informed as I possibly can so that if that should happen I can take action and have the knowledge of all the latest developments in managing diabetes from those who really know, rather than having to follow an NHS protocol.

I agree that there needs to be links to the relevant research for new members to be able to make informed choices. I found out about the Newcastle study through my own reading and wish I had known about it earlier.

Best wishes Andrew. I hope you do decide to stay. Your experience, advice and expertise are invaluable.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. To be fair Daisy does provide a lot of info about keeping the carbs down which is the important thing. The ND is not targeted at diabetics as such but originated from the need for those having bariatric surgery to crash diet. It focuses on reducing calories not carbs. Overall it does help many but focussing on reducing the carbs is a better start point for us and should form part of a permanent change in life-style.

Fair comment, on need to keep low carb, but ND was developed to see if diabetes could be reversed. I know of @Andrew Colvin , @paulins, and myself who have had apparent reversal of diabetes, through ND method, by which I mean non-diabetic BG without medication, and able to eat high carb foods without a spike in BG. So, although this is a small number of members, it can offer hope and inspiration to others.

Let's not turn this thread into another Newcastle Diet versus LCHF quarrel. ND is just as valid, even though fewer people use it. Another reason why Andrew's experience and input is still needed here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Your knowledge and experience are irreplaceable please stay with us, you give inspiration to those of us who still struggle from day to day with the little things and the big things, without you where would we garner the knowledge we need to cope.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I am in a similar situation as you @Andrew Colvin . Except, I still have not lost all the weight I need to lose. I have asked myself why I still hang around here too. The reasons I have come up with are: I am still learning from other members, and this is a place where new developments are discussed; I can, perhaps, show others that T2 does not have to progress as some HCPs would have us believe; there is a social element to participation in forum discussions. Not all reasons are selfless though, there is still the element of fear that I will once again start to have BG levels in diabetic range, and I want to keep as well informed as I possibly can so that if that should happen I can take action and have the knowledge of all the latest developments in managing diabetes from those who really know, rather than having to follow an NHS protocol.

I agree that there needs to be links to the relevant research for new members to be able to make informed choices. I found out about the Newcastle study through my own reading and wish I had known about it earlier.

Best wishes Andrew. I hope you do decide to stay. Your experience, advice and expertise are invaluable.

Your just as important Pipp, your help is invaluable too, I for one am so glad your still here with us.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Great to here your levels are nice & low.
You stick with us. Your journey can helpful to many.
I think the NHS instead of giving the gobbledegock they do, should signpost newbies to this site or the main site & they can join us from there if they wish, but after reading the main site they sure will join us. Most of the NHS Dr's & Dn's know about the site so why not just send them to it.

It's not my intention to derail the thread ( well done @Andrew Colvin ) but I just wanted to comment on the above. I was at my local endo' centre last week for a group session. I cannot remember why, but I mentioned this website and was gobsmacked to find my comment dismissed by the DN who told the others to go to diabetes.org for advice instead. I have no idea if this was a personal 'thing' or if it is policy, just thought I'd mention it.

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's not my intention to derail the thread ( well done @Andrew Colvin ) but I just wanted to comment on the above. I was at my local endo' centre last week for a group session. I cannot remember why, but I mentioned this website and was gobsmacked to find my comment dismissed by the DN who told the others to go to diabetes.org for advice instead. I have no idea if this was a personal 'thing' or if it is policy, just thought I'd mention it.
may be they think they are gods & that we all should do as they instruct, (NO CHANCE) or they don't like it cause we go against thier rules, but they just never learn from us that are in the firing line. Well with the exception of Dr Trudi Deakin, who has made the turn around from the conventional method.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Andrew Colvin ... Don't. Go.

Your contribution on so many diverse threads has been invaluable and written with insight and humour .

It's really the wrong time of year for me to go a Viking and haul you back :rolleyes:;)

Signy