Low Temperature Monitoring?

Datatraveller

Hey everybody apologies if this question has already been addressed?
I currently use a iBGStar and a BGStar monitor and both keep giving low temperature errors! I should explain I'm a carpenter who frequently works at sites that at this time of year are often cold!
Does anyone know of a meter that will work?

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I just have to keep my meter in a breast pocket or in an underarm "holster"

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My accuchek ones won't work either!!

Pain in bum.. Have to keep them in car whilst gardening for customers and have to switch on the car for 10mins with heaters blasting before they come up to temperature.

Now take it out on a wrapped up hot water bottle.. Just about keeps up to temperature. But you got to be wary that they can get too hot too. Which is why my hot water bittle is wrapped with a scarf layer first, then the meter then the rest of the scarf!!

Reactions: 4 people

malky39

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have this too, I leave mine in a bag in my van all day and on the really cold days I get the temp to low warning I ten to sit it about the heater vents for a min to warm it up.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I'm white water kayaking I keep by Combo BG pump controller in a thick walking sock and inside a dry bag in my buoyancy aid, this seems to work fine.

Did find if I didn't put it in a sock then it would need 5 mins close to my body to warm up before I could use it.

As long as you have somewhere to put it, also a small dry bag stops it getting wet if working outside too.

encore1332

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not nice stuff
hi, I carry around one of those heat click pouches, just click a little metal bit inside a gel packet and it heats up. after use just boil it and its ready to go again. Keep it in my bag with my tester

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey everybody apologies if this question has already been addressed?
I currently use a iBGStar and a BGStar monitor and both keep giving low temperature errors! I should explain I'm a carpenter who frequently works at sites that at this time of year are often cold!
Does anyone know of a meter that will work?

Couldn't you just put your monitor inside your clothing; for example, in a shirt pocket, to keep it warm? That's what lots of skiers do with cameras and phones. If you have no shirt pockets, how about a small draw string bag, on a lanyard around your neck, inside clothes/jacket:

Attachments

• upload_2015-1-23_8-54-51.png
    upload_2015-1-23_8-54-51.png
    389.2 KB · Views: 251

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My meter works fine but when my hands are cold, which is most of the time, my blood hides well away from my fingertips!

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Here too, monitor stays in a trouser pocket. I may or may not have popped it down my y fronts when i needed to warm it up quickly. ;)

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Same problem when out running and biking. I can keep my fingers warm enough with the use of gloves. If you're a bloke you could always try the old school games lesson trick of shoving them down your trousers, but you might get some funny looks;)

On the bike, the meter is mostly Ok in my jersey pocket with a windproof over the top (sort of micro climate), or put it down the front of the jersey for ten mins.

Running is much harder, I've taken to making sure I clasp the meter end of my carrying pouch in my hand for a few minutes and that seems to be wotking so far.

When I'm on site I'm normally in Hi-Vis overalls annd maybe foul weather jacket this time of year so have plenty of pockets to keep the meter warm enough.