no gall bladder and diabetes

killerkaz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There must be quite a few people who, like myself, have had their gall bladder removed. This was nearly 4 years ago. Then last October I was diagnosed T2 diabetic. Now before I was diagnosed there were certain foods I could not eat as they sent me scurrying to the loo within half an hour, and if I didn't eat within an hour of getting up it was the same scenario. Since diagnosis I can once again eat certain food without doing the Boston quick step, however the metformin in the morning would make me qualify for the Olympic 100 yard dash. So I have to time when I eat to when I want to go out as I can't go anywhere for about an hour. I don't know if this is purely down to the metformin or a combination of that and minus a gall bladder, and would the absence of said gall bladder have any effect on my bs readings? Just a thought as my liver is now dripping bile constantly into my digestive system.

C

catherinecherub

Hi @killerkaz, This article should help.

When the gallbladder is removed, bile made by the liver can no longer be stored between meals. Instead, the bile flows directly into the intestine anytime the liver produces it. Thus, there still is bile in the intestine to mix with food and fat. It is true that there is not as much bile, but there is enough to allow the digestion and transfer of fat. People who have had their gallbladders removed do not need to limit the fat in their diet.

The only clear side effect of removal of the gallbladder is diarrhea. This occurs in about 10% of patients. The diarrhea occurs because of the change in the way bile is delivered to the intestine once the gallbladder has been removed. Bile and the way it is delivered to the intestine appears to control the speed with which food passes through the intestine. Removing the gallbladder speeds up the passage of food and thereby may cause the diarrhea. There may be other reasons why the change in delivery of bile causes diarrhea as well.
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=15984

It could be a combination of both the lack of gall bladder plus the Metformin. Have you asked your G.P. if you can have the Slow Release one? That might help.

I'll bump your post up as someone might be going through the same as you. There are people on the forum who have had to give up on Metformin as it does not suit them.

Reactions: 2 people

killerkaz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @killerkaz, This article should help.

When the gallbladder is removed, bile made by the liver can no longer be stored between meals. Instead, the bile flows directly into the intestine anytime the liver produces it. Thus, there still is bile in the intestine to mix with food and fat. It is true that there is not as much bile, but there is enough to allow the digestion and transfer of fat. People who have had their gallbladders removed do not need to limit the fat in their diet.

The only clear side effect of removal of the gallbladder is diarrhea. This occurs in about 10% of patients. The diarrhea occurs because of the change in the way bile is delivered to the intestine once the gallbladder has been removed. Bile and the way it is delivered to the intestine appears to control the speed with which food passes through the intestine. Removing the gallbladder speeds up the passage of food and thereby may cause the diarrhea. There may be other reasons why the change in delivery of bile causes diarrhea as well.
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=15984

It could be a combination of both the lack of gall bladder plus the Metformin. Have you asked your G.P. if you can have the Slow Release one? That might help.

I'll bump your post up as someone might be going through the same as you. There are people on the forum who have had to give up on Metformin as it does not suit them.
Thanks catherine, other than the inconvenience of dashing to the loo after food I have no nausea or other side effects. it hasn't made me lose weight any quicker either (you would think there would be some benefits:confused:) , a steady 1 to 2 Ibs a week which is fine actually, sometimes it is only half a pound but over a year it all adds up, still lost 1 stone 5Ibs in 4 months.

Reactions: 4 people

Tng1971

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I had my gall bladder removed 7 years ago and was diagnosed as t2 18 months ago. My gp put me on metformin, which I perservered with for 8 months and the side affects that came with it, mainly the diarrhoea. They then tried me on the slow release which gave me the same issues. Got to the point where i was scared to leave the house in fear of a toilet accident.

I am now on gliclazide which works completely different to metformin. So far so good, I can go out now and not constantly worried.

Speak to your gp, there are other options out there which can give you your independance back.

Reactions: 3 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
as @Tng1971 said, there are other options. You can't spend half your life on the toilet.
make sure you are on the slow release metformin because if tolerated, metformin is a good drug.

reducing your carbs more may help with weight loss.
3 subject lists on left hand side. http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

killerkaz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I had my gall bladder removed 7 years ago and was diagnosed as t2 18 months ago. My gp put me on metformin, which I perservered with for 8 months and the side affects that came with it, mainly the diarrhoea. They then tried me on the slow release which gave me the same issues. Got to the point where i was scared to leave the house in fear of a toilet accident.

I am now on gliclazide which works completely different to metformin. So far so good, I can go out now and not constantly worried.

Speak to your gp, there are other options out there which can give you your independance back.
I'm not as bad as you were, it's mainly first thing in the morning after breakfast although it can happen after lunch to a milder degree. Funny enough it never happens late afternoon or early evening.

Kaz70

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had my gall bladder removed 3 years ago, and was diagnosed t2 about 7 months ago, luckily for me no medication yet, but I do seem to have a problem with high fat!

K

Kat100

Hello , I have no gallbladder and have problems digestng fat and other foods, my fat intake I keep to small amounts of good fat ...
Fat makes me very unwell , for me this includes milk and cream ....so just a bit now and again ...otherwise I prodduce to much bile and acid really not nice ....

SR metformin really helps me with the powder room issues ...

Hope all improves for you best wishes ..Kat

Reactions: 2 people