Hello and thank you all

Hegehog123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just wanted to say a huge thank you to all of you who post on the forum including the person I saw this morning who asked if they should stay on the forum as they had achieved their goals and didn't think they had anything further to contribute.
I am a new member and I have found your posts inspiring, informative and a great help in getting to grips with what I was previously brushing aside as a medical mistake! I was diagnosed as having type 2 diabetes several years ago and told to eat healthily and exercise. However I didn't take a lot of notice until recently when my BG started going up and I read about the Newcastle diet and the suggestion that it can cure diabetes. I researched on the forum and was encouraged to give it a go. I was 20st 4lbs when I started 4 weeks ago and so far have lost 18lbs and my fasting BG has dropped from 8 to 4.8 so I am delighted. I have seen posts from people who find it difficult and hope to encourage them by saying that I am using a mixture of Lighter Life meal replacements (now available from Superdrug) and Shake That Weight replacements which can by bought on the internet and that way I get quite a lot of variety, shakes, soups and meals. I think they are quite palatable although I seem to have lost my "I am hungry" button and my "I am full" button prior to the diagnosis - hence my huge weight - and have to ensure that I actually eat them.
Anyway following reading all your encouraging posts I am determined to carry on for the next 4 weeks and hopefully for a long time after that - so please keep up with the advice and feel the love!

PS - when I put in my details it said welcome back so there must have been another Hedgehog123 - but I am new!

Reactions: 10 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome Hedgehog, so pleased things are going well for you and yes @Andrew Colvin is a great inspiration as is @Pipp amongst many others, I wish you well on your journey to better diabetic control, do let us know how you get on.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello and welcome Hedgehog (I love your name) and what a lovely positive post.

All the best RBB :)

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done for getting a grip and your fasting BG levels speak for themselves. Your choice of diet is very interesting and I'd like to know more about your BGs before eating and two hours after.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I just wanted to say a huge thank you to all of you who post on the forum including the person I saw this morning who asked if they should stay on the forum as they had achieved their goals and didn't think they had anything further to contribute.
I am a new member and I have found your posts inspiring, informative and a great help in getting to grips with what I was previously brushing aside as a medical mistake! I was diagnosed as having type 2 diabetes several years ago and told to eat healthily and exercise. However I didn't take a lot of notice until recently when my BG started going up and I read about the Newcastle diet and the suggestion that it can cure diabetes. I researched on the forum and was encouraged to give it a go. I was 20st 4lbs when I started 4 weeks ago and so far have lost 18lbs and my fasting BG has dropped from 8 to 4.8 so I am delighted. I have seen posts from people who find it difficult and hope to encourage them by saying that I am using a mixture of Lighter Life meal replacements (now available from Superdrug) and Shake That Weight replacements which can by bought on the internet and that way I get quite a lot of variety, shakes, soups and meals. I think they are quite palatable although I seem to have lost my "I am hungry" button and my "I am full" button prior to the diagnosis - hence my huge weight - and have to ensure that I actually eat them.
Anyway following reading all your encouraging posts I am determined to carry on for the next 4 weeks and hopefully for a long time after that - so please keep up with the advice and feel the love!

PS - when I put in my details it said welcome back so there must have been another Hedgehog123 - but I am new!
Congratulations! I hope you are not planning on staying on the Newcastle diet for much longer than the 8 weeks? What are your plans for after you are finished with the Newcastle diet?

Reactions: 2 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm trying to work out exactly what food is involved in these weight-loss programmes. In the "Lighter Life fast chocolate peanut bar" for instance it says there are ...
Soya crisps (soya protein, tapioca starch, salt), glucose syrup, peanuts (11.5%), milk chocolate (10.7%) (sugar, cocoa butter, whole milk powder, cocoa mass, emulsifier: soya lecithin; flavourings), bulking agent: polydextrose; humectants: glycerol; soya crisps (soya protein, low fat cocoa, tapioca starch), rice crisps (rice flour, wheat gluten, sugar, wheat malt, glucose, salt), dates, oligofructose, fructose, skimmed milk powder, dipotassium phosphate, soya protein, sunflower oil, tricalcium phosphate, flavourings (contains peanut), trisodium citrate, vitamin & mineral mix (ferric diphosphate, vitamin C, nicotinamide, zinc oxide, vitamin E, copper sulphate, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulphate, riboflavin, vitamin B6, thiamin hydrochloride, vitamin A, potassium iodide, folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite, vitamin D3, vitamin B12), acidity regulator: malic acid; magnesium oxide
I'm a simple Type 2 diabetic on low-carb-full-fat basic food so it's all new to me :)

Hegehog123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome Hedgehog (I love your name) and what a lovely positive post.

All the best RBB :)
Thank you. The name is because I have two living in my very small garden, they have a hedgehog house and a feeding station and obviously like them as they've stayed for 4 years now and produced 6 babies!

Reactions: 8 people

Hegehog123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done for getting a grip and your fasting BG levels speak for themselves. Your choice of diet is very interesting and I'd like to know more about your BGs before eating and two hours after.
Hi there. Sorry I haven't a clue. I just take a reading when I get up in the morning and since the first week of the diet they've been right down.

Hegehog123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations! I hope you are not planning on staying on the Newcastle diet for much longer than the 8 weeks? What are your plans for after you are finished with the Newcastle diet?
Hi and thank you. I thought I'd see how it goes. The medical sites say a VLCD should only be done for an absolute maximum of 16 weeks but I think I'll get bored before then in which case I intend to swap to a HPLC diet as per the Diet Doctor site which I found because of all of you helpful people. Also I have such a massive amount of weight to lose that I'm scared of the loose skin thing. If anyone has any tips on that I'd be very grateful.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well done @Hegehog123 keep it up. Are you doing exercise with your diet. Getting your muscles and body in a fit state helps with the glucose as well.

Hegehog123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm trying to work out exactly what food is involved in these weight-loss programmes. In the "Lighter Life fast chocolate peanut bar" for instance it says there are ...
Soya crisps (soya protein, tapioca starch, salt), glucose syrup, peanuts (11.5%), milk chocolate (10.7%) (sugar, cocoa butter, whole milk powder, cocoa mass, emulsifier: soya lecithin; flavourings), bulking agent: polydextrose; humectants: glycerol; soya crisps (soya protein, low fat cocoa, tapioca starch), rice crisps (rice flour, wheat gluten, sugar, wheat malt, glucose, salt), dates, oligofructose, fructose, skimmed milk powder, dipotassium phosphate, soya protein, sunflower oil, tricalcium phosphate, flavourings (contains peanut), trisodium citrate, vitamin & mineral mix (ferric diphosphate, vitamin C, nicotinamide, zinc oxide, vitamin E, copper sulphate, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulphate, riboflavin, vitamin B6, thiamin hydrochloride, vitamin A, potassium iodide, folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite, vitamin D3, vitamin B12), acidity regulator: malic acid; magnesium oxide
I'm a simple Type 2 diabetic on low-carb-full-fat basic food so it's all new to me :)
Sounds disgusting doesn't it but I don't eat the bars anyway. I tried one and it was revolting - tasted like 25% cardboard and 75% sugar - so I'm sticking to the other things.

Reactions: 4 people

Hegehog123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done @Hegehog123 keep it up. Are you doing exercise with your diet. Getting your muscles and body in a fit state helps with the glucose as well.
No, I know I should but my body goes into shock if I move it, ha-ha!. I'm afraid I have a sedentary job and arthritis which doesn't help although much to my amazement my arthritic knees and neck which have been giving me jip for a year have suddenly stopped hurting since I started the diet. Someone told me that fat gives off hormones which lead to an inflammatory state and therefore make arthritis worse, if that is the case then it seems a diet is a cure, at least for the pain, although it can't mend the worn away bone etc. The diet also doesn't leave much energy for exercise but I mean to start swimming when I come off the VLCD.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Hi and thank you. I thought I'd see how it goes. The medical sites say a VLCD should only be done for an absolute maximum of 16 weeks but I think I'll get bored before then in which case I intend to swap to a HPLC diet as per the Diet Doctor site which I found because of all of you helpful people. Also I have such a massive amount of weight to lose that I'm scared of the loose skin thing. If anyone has any tips on that I'd be very grateful.
The Newcastle diet is a very low calorie diet (full of unpronounceable chemicals) - so low in every macronutrient and general nutrition. The Diet Doctor advocates a low carb high fat diet, not a high protein low carb diet. I think the only thing that might help with excess skin is to lose weight more slowly, which you likely will following the Diet Doctor's advice compared to the Newcastle diet.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
No, I know I should but my body goes into shock if I move it, ha-ha!. I'm afraid I have a sedentary job and arthritis which doesn't help although much to my amazement my arthritic knees and neck which have been giving me jip for a year have suddenly stopped hurting since I started the diet. Someone told me that fat gives off hormones which lead to an inflammatory state and therefore make arthritis worse, if that is the case then it seems a diet is a cure, at least for the pain, although it can't mend the worn away bone etc. The diet also doesn't leave much energy for exercise but I mean to start swimming when I come off the VLCD.
I am not sure it is fat more likely the carbs and insulin that aggravates the arthritis. I watched a TV programme about 18 months ago about a tribe (think they were in the amazon) that regularly starve for days on end and they were found to live long and never get cancers etc. The conclusion was that the bodies cell go into repair mode and not replace mode (not enough food for replace) and therefore fix issues instead of replicating faults. This is where the principle of the 5:2 came from. So you may just find you are repairing those defective cells on your low calorie. Of course it could all be cods wallop

Reactions: 4 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome from me @Hegehog123. I hope you will do well on Newcastle diet, and join the 'reversed' club like some of us who have already done so through ND.

Some people like to suggest alternative diets, but if you have decided on ND, do not be put off. At the end of the ND you will need to consider what you are going to eat, and low carb is recommended. Good advice.

I exercise in water to improve movement and muscle tone.

I think with any big weight loss there will be some loose skin. Unless you are very young. I don't know what your priorities are, but for me it was to reverse the T2 diabetes. Weight loss was a bonus.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
DOGGY SMILEY1.gif

Reactions: 3 people