Nurse appointment tomorrow!

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am actually feeling really nervous about tomorrow. Its the unknown I guess. For those who don't know I'm 34, Type 2 on 4 X Gliclazide daily and my hb1ac has just come back at 10.9 :( same as it was when I started the gliclazide in May 2014. Gutted to say the least. I am unsure what she is going to do tomorrow but glad I'm finally seeing her...known for a while things were really out of control :(

Also got the dentist at 11am for the first of my 2 peridontitis treatments :(

Not sure why I'm posting to be honest...think I just need to get it out.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck tomorrow, with both appointments.

Is there a reason things have been out of control? Something you can put right again? Diet? Weight? Exercise? Stress? Illness?

Reactions: 2 people

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For the first 3 months I followed a very strict diet and exercised daily!! That's the only way I can keep control. I could go back to that again but as a working single mum of 2 little ones, it's hard when things get in the way :( I'm not making excuses I just thought the dosage I'm on would help a.little bit :(

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You're doing the best you can. It's enough. There are setbacks but it's enough. Otherwise life is pointless and that's not a very nice notion. Good luck tomorrow, come back and tell us.

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
For the first 3 months I followed a very strict diet and exercised daily!! That's the only way I can keep control. I could go back to that again but as a working single mum of 2 little ones, it's hard when things get in the way :( I'm not making excuses I just thought the dosage I'm on would help a.little bit :(

What did your very strict diet consist of? Did you get a new hba1c done after that strict diet? Was the diet for weight or diabetes or both?

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not for weight no as I'm not overweight it was strictly for my diabetes. The hba1c was 8 after 3 months. I literally was having the minimal carbs I could for those 3 months and exercising (swimming daily) it didn't allow for anything, was not really something I could stick to forever :( I ended up in a&e after a glass table smashed and cut up my arm which put me out of swimming action for about 6 weeks. In those 6 weeks the levels just crept up and up. I know I need to work at it and I'm not expecting medication to just be thrown at me and expect miracles without my input but I just feel like my current regime is not enough :(

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Really hope all goes well tomorrow Jaxx01, good luck.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Not for weight no as I'm not overweight it was strictly for my diabetes. The hba1c was 8 after 3 months. I literally was having the minimal carbs I could for those 3 months and exercising (swimming daily) it didn't allow for anything, was not really something I could stick to forever :( I ended up in a&e after a glass table smashed and cut up my arm which put me out of swimming action for about 6 weeks. In those 6 weeks the levels just crept up and up. I know I need to work at it and I'm not expecting medication to just be thrown at me and expect miracles without my input but I just feel like my current regime is not enough :(

The very best of luck. Please let us know how it goes.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
so you are 34 not overweight and a very low carb diet only reduced your levels a little and 4 glics did nothing. I think you should be questioning your diagnosis with your doctor. Doesnt sound much like T2 to me. You should ask for test for LADA or MODY

Reactions: 8 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
so you are 34 not overweight and a very low carb diet only reduced your levels a little and 4 glics did nothing. I think you should be questioning your diagnosis with your doctor. Doesnt sound much like T2 to me. You should ask for test for LADA or MODY

Exactly what I was about to post. You certainly don't sound like a typical type2 so I'd be wanting the relevant tests done to confirm my diagnosis. It may well be you need to take insulin not because you have failed to control your type 2 diabetes but because you are actually a LADA.

Reactions: 6 people

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This has come up a few times when I've posted..I think my doctor is of the same view as well because she said she reckons it will be 2 years max before I'm on insulin! I'm definitely going to ask for the tests this time x

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

I think the same too....

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
**UPDATE** Been to see the nurse, I'm starting on insulin tomorrow when she can book me in at the other surgery. She's not sure whether to start me on a long and short acting one or just the long acting twice a day x

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I asked about the possibility of me not being a type 2 and she basically said type 2 comes in different sizes so although I don't fit the standard criteria I am most definitely type 2. Not the same as my doc said but hey Ho x

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I asked about the possibility of me not being a type 2 and she basically said type 2 comes in different sizes so although I don't fit the standard criteria I am most definitely type 2. Not the same as my doc said but hey Ho x

I would insist on the LADA tests if I were you.
Are you happy about the insulin?

Reactions: 3 people

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel it's the only way I will gain proper control :(

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It makes a difference getting the proper diagnosis. Make an appointment with your doctor and discuss getting tests. Your nurse is pulling the wool over your eyes.

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have another appointment with her tomorrow to go through the insulin regime so may print out some info tonight and take with me. Thanks

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I'm glad you got someone to listen to your concerns, and hopefully the insulin will help with your levels.

Have you had a look at the type 1.5/LADA section of the forum? You may find some very interesting info there. :)

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done. It's not easy to contradict the mighty NHS -- I'm not sure whether I'll speak out when it comes to my turn. You're sounding very positive now. As @Bluetit1802 says, next move might be to go for a LADA.