Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Just need to say , I feel very let down that the tread regarding facebook concluded in the mannor it did ...
Thus leaving some members, who have in reality have feelings which were not resolved ...
I agree an ending was needed to conclude , but as a human being ,I believe in working together ...using communication as a two way process ...

I must also say I was horrified to learn that a profile conversation I was participating in was being shown to all members here and the public guests ..
There are still many groups ...not really one support community ...where we share experiences ....I have to keep removing that from my computer screen ....support community ...! Because I feel concerned about the subjects of FB and public profiles , profile messages ...

I feel so exposed that anyone can sit back and view profile messages on the opening page of this site as we write them ....
I had know idea it was happening and I was very gratful it was highlighted to me ... But saddened it was happening at the same time ..
@Giverny can something be done about this ....anyone can watch profile messages being sent as we write them ...
Good practice is what I aim for when replying to a post , in simple words I like many others do my best to share what I feel comfortable with ..
However at the moment I don't feel very comfortable and won't untill the public profile posts are stopped or removed ...

As for FB well I don't think we really concluded that topic , now closed ...
@anna29 I do feel the issue of public profile posts can be taken to a higher level , I don't myself know who ! just hoping that you can kindly confirm if our messages issues concerns etc , are passed on to someone who has the power to communicate and stop to consider this practice and its implications on my and perhaps other people's feeling ....Thank you best wishes Kat

Please put this forward to the attention of @Giverny via the PM (private conversations) source .
These will reach her .

Can I ask for patience and calm - on these matters .
Understand and get your concern's - Giverny is handling these matters .

Only last week the new forum update developments was rolled out .
Giverny has tweaked things within some certain concerns/points raised .
Please refer to other threads to see these adaptions/tweaks that were made for you all .

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The green flashes had to go so @satindoll, me, and others could actually use the site. They were interfering with the performance and making it impossible to use. Sad, but true. ;)

Reactions: 3 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Sad but true, mind you I don't miss the flashing it was giving me a migraine set off the visual auras really bad

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The green flashes had to go so @satindoll, me, and others could actually use the site. They were interfering with the performance and making it impossible to use. Sad, but true. ;)
I used to run a Trike forum myself a few years back, quite a large one with around 1500 members. In winter I used to change the theme to a Christmassy one with falling snow over the whole screen, flashing Christmas lights of different colours on the avatars and alsorts of flashing this and flashing that's everywhere. We had the same problem, some members couldn't change pages without waiting 3-4 minutes, so I had to remove most of them again. Took me ages as I recall to work out the codes for them and then enter them into the system. Don't know if I could even remember how to do it again but it was fun.:D

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Giverny listened and switched the flash off for you all .

Reactions: 6 people

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope we do hear something soon regarding the FB issue. The last time we were told things were being dealt with and to be patient, the thread was locked within 24hrs.

Reactions: 6 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks. I would have thought the linking of this forum to FB is a technical issue ?

K

Kat100

Please put this forward to the attention of @Giverny via the PM (private conversations) source .
These will reach her .

Can I ask for patience and calm - on these matters .
Understand and get your concern's - Giverny is handling these matters .

Only last week the new forum update developments was rolled out .
Giverny has tweaked things within some certain concerns/points raised .
Please refer to other threads to see these adaptions/tweaks that were made for you all .
Thank you @anna29 for getting back to me , I have alerted @Giverny on above post ...I really hope the personal profile posts can be tweaked ..
Much appreciated Thank you for your response , just don't want the problem forgotten about , it was talked about in the last thread ...best wishes , kat

Reactions: 5 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
When @Giverny gets in tomorrow morning I hope she prioritises on what this forum should be about - enabling members to provide support to each other as easily as possible. We don't need it turning into a Facebook or Twitter platform. Much as I hate the phrase, does admin have a Mission Statement that they are working to? It would be really useful to know what it says.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I really think those who are unhappy about Facebook should take it off this thread and directly address it with Diabetes Digital Media. They are the company who own the site and therefore you should address concerns to their md directly.

Incidentally, the dcuk mission statement is here http://www.diabetes.co.uk/our-mission.html.

I would expect the forum to adhere to the mission statement as it is a part of the same website.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really think those who are unhappy about Facebook should take it off this thread and directly address it with Diabetes Digital Media. They are the company who own the site and therefore you should address concerns to their md directly.

Incidentally, the dcuk mission statement is here http://www.diabetes.co.uk/our-mission.html.

I would expect the forum to adhere to the mission statement as it is a part of the same website.

For a short period in my life I worked as a proof reader of technical documents so I know how difficult it can be to get things right. I am always pleased to find amusing typos so don't take this as a criticism. I read the mission statement and it says this.

"All we ask is that you are rude or offensive and don’t troll, as that’s how bans are issued. We’re all in this together."

At least it explains those occasional punch ups in certain threads. The perpetrators can always point to the mission statement to justify themselves.

Reactions: 9 people

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
@Giverny I was going to PM you about this but decided it should be said publicly.

As you know we had a thread (now closed) re the linking of threads to Facebook. Several of us expressed a dislike of this practice. I understand that you personally are not in control of what happens on Facebook and accept this.

I would like to say that I find the new practice of displaying the new profile posts so publicly on the forum home page now to be disturbing: several of us complained because we didn't like Facebook, now the forum has become more like Facebook! That seems like a kick in the teeth for those of us who expressed our opinion on that closed thread (who together have posted many thousands of messages on this forum).
We have privacy options available if you don't want that stuff showing up for everyone to see. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/account/privacy

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We have privacy options available if you don't want that stuff showing up for everyone to see. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/account/privacy
Thanks. It's not the privacy issue, I just don't think it was necessary to become more like Facebook at this time. However if you can't beat 'em join 'em . If the folks here like seeing facebook type messages on walls (oops, sorry 'profiles')........

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks. It's not the privacy issue, I just don't think it was necessary to become more like Facebook at this time. However if you can't beat 'em join 'em . If the folks here like seeing facebook type messages on walls (oops, sorry 'profiles')........
As far as I was aware, profile posts have always been visible if you selected the right privacy option? Has something changed here @Giverny?

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
As far as I was aware, profile posts have always been visible if you selected the right privacy option? Has something changed here @Giverny?
I think Zand is referring to the sidebar

20e1949ff5.png

Again, this takes individual users' privacy settings into account. I see no issue with making the forum more social.

K

Kat100

Yes , as you write on a profile , eg a message ,, , members , guests etc can have a good read ...as you write and chat ...on your profile page...
It is there in the open, I only discovered this a few days ago , under all the members on line ....they are also numbered ...
I am hoping @Giverny can tweak a bit because writting on profiles is seen by all on the front page ...
Feel rather exposed ....

K

Kat100

I think Zand is referring to the sidebar

20e1949ff5.png

Again, this takes individual users' privacy settings into account. I see no issue with making the forum more social.
How do we make this private on our settings @Giverny ....a member alerted me to it the other day while I was writting on a profile , I was really unhappy to be told that all,were or could be watching ...Thsnk you kat

Status
Not open for further replies.