Type 1 Type 2 - can they be more positively distinguished?

Dyadya_Maykl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance.
I have insulin dependent diabetes, which I have had for 45 years. Recent advert campaigns are making the public aware of Type 2 diabetes, and I understand that many people are heading towards this condition due to liftestyle choices - like being overweight. The trouble I see is that many people think of the disease as a lifestyle choice - and now that I am getting older, I get comments regarding my getting diabetes due to my choice - excessive CHO eating, lack of exercise etc. At 77Kg, and 190cm I have a BMI of 21.7, so shrug my shoulders, and smile. However, it is irksome to be tarred with this brush. They are different illnesses, and should have different names. The publicity campaign does not make the distinction clear. Maybe the medical profession needs to make the distinction between the types more marked - even by given the diseases different names.

Reactions: 4 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ahh. You mean the "good & bad" diabetes... Yep I'm a T1 since the age of 7/8. I had it on my birthday..
So, nearly 38 years later...? With a busy active lifestyle & a body to reflect this, I have never looked like I have set myself up for T2.. But then neither did my dad when in his 70's was diagnosed as T2. Again, the guy looked younger than his years....
It's all the same to me... The outcome if unmanaged can have consiquences..

I'm starting to see any form of diabetes reflected in the media as the new "AIDS". It diverts attention from the real bullshine in the world... ;)

Reactions: 5 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I am an insulin dependant t2 as well, this point has been raised many times here on the forum and it has caused much heartache and pain for many of us, some are overweight some of us rake like, please do not advance the them and us argument that leads to the must hate t2 campaigners coming out to bash us, t2 diabetics as with t1 diabetics have enough to contend with without the type bashers on our case.
If people say nasty things to me my reply is "It could be your turn next week to be diagnosed, how's your lifestyle choices" and walk away.

Reactions: 9 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have insulin dependent diabetes, which I have had for 45 years. Recent advert campaigns are making the public aware of Type 2 diabetes, and I understand that many people are heading towards this condition due to liftestyle choices - like being overweight. The trouble I see is that many people think of the disease as a lifestyle choice - and now that I am getting older, I get comments regarding my getting diabetes due to my choice - excessive CHO eating, lack of exercise etc. At 77Kg, and 190cm I have a BMI of 21.7, so shrug my shoulders, and smile. However, it is irksome to be tarred with this brush. They are different illnesses, and should have different names. The publicity campaign does not make the distinction clear. Maybe the medical profession needs to make the distinction between the types more marked - even by given the diseases different names.

Well, I'm an un-medicated T2 (stats in my signature).

I tend to think of Diabetes as a portfolio of conditions - a bit like arthritis or asthma. No single definition works, except at the highest level - i.e. our bodies have exhibited an inability to handle carbs in an efficient way.

It's disappointing that not only are T2s battling against the poor descriptions and over simplifications dealt out by the press, but to be described, as you did, by fellow a diabetic smarts somewhat.

Yes. I was diagnosed with diabetes. Yes, I took action and I have reduced all my markers to non-diabetic levels, so perhaps I was one of those slovenly slobs who brought it upon themselves?

I'm having to be extremely restrained not to be extremely rude to you.

Reactions: 12 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
@Dyadya_Maykl
Not this again! People don't choose to be overweight or have type diabetes any more than anyone chooses to have type 1 diabetes. How about you try to educate people who make these silly statements to you? Or do you agree with them that type 2 diabetes is caused by people's gluttony and slothfulness?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I found that if you slap the science on the I'll informed back with the speed of a cattle auctioneer or the "terms and conditions apply" voice over guy at the end of a radio comercial. They shut up....

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a sloth and a glutton. I have the self inflicted, lifestyle T2 :bag:

Last edited by a moderator:

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I was fit and healthy and don't and never did eat like a pig or eat junk.
I caught it off a toilet seat in a run down petrol station.
Medication is what gave me problems.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Yikes sad discussion thread... Any diabetes is bad, we should look after each other, we all have to struggle through this together, I wouldn't wish anyone to have either and what a joy the world would be if we had a cure, but in the meantime taking care of each other is the most important thing we can do and giving support when it's needed is essential.

Reactions: 7 people

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with T1 in December, so I'm still new to it and I still get a wide array of reactions from people that I tell.

I have to confess that I also think there should be clearer a clear distinction between T1 and T2. The number of people who - on hearing the words "diabetes" - imply that I must have ate "too many sugary treats" or "been really inactive, although you don't look overweight" is so frustrating. One colleague even said "how did you get diabetes? I thought you exercised regularly? Do you eat really unhealthily?".

Also frustrating is the number of people who say "oh, my grandma [/other family member] has diabetes, so I know what it's all about" - even when their family members have T2 and are not insulin-dependent. I even got a lecture about how "oh, I thought you had something more serious because you were off work for a week, at least you can just pop a few pills each day to deal with this". Many people have absolutely no understanding at all of T1 and don't understand what we go through on a daily (even hourly) basis. I sometimes feel that colleagues judge me for the time I took off or the occasional times I need to leave early for hospital appointments - they just assume that "diabetes" is "diabetes" and, since most people know only about T2, they tarnish everyone with the same brush.

Reactions: 2 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I blame the media.
The government can't handle what is a spiralling problem for the NHS and funding so blame the victim and when it all goes pear shaped .... bit like some of us on here .... the general public will know it's all our fault.

Reactions: 2 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nobody chooses to have diabetes albeit type 1or 2. I did not choose to have T2 diabetes just as my brother, mother and grandfather didn't - perhaps it's in my genes then. Due to my mother being diabetic I always ate what I perceived to be a healthy diet inc my 5 portions of fruit per day, pasta, wholewheat bread, low sugar, low fat and jacket potatoes to name but a few carby things. I also have an under active thyroid which for years caused metabolic issues that are now being treated. At the advice of my GP I started taking statins which pushed my BG levels up to diabetic levels. In my family there are a number of conditions - asthma, coeliac, eczema, diabetes, arthritis all of which one or other of my siblings and their children have - so far I have 3 of them as well as some of my own.

Apologies for the rant but I don't generally tell people that I'm diabetic precisely because I feel that I will be judged by some ill informed person who automatically thinks that it's my own fault - even though I know it isn't. I'm sorry for those of you that have T1 but please don't blame T2s (some of whom have just many issues as T1s) for other people's ignorance and prejudices.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I was diagnosed with T1 in December, so I'm still new to it and I still get a wide array of reactions from people that I tell.

I have to confess that I also think there should be clearer a clear distinction between T1 and T2. The number of people who - on hearing the words "diabetes" - imply that I must have ate "too many sugary treats" or "been really inactive, although you don't look overweight" is so frustrating. One colleague even said "how did you get diabetes? I thought you exercised regularly? Do you eat really unhealthily?".

Also frustrating is the number of people who say "oh, my grandma [/other family member] has diabetes, so I know what it's all about" - even when their family members have T2 and are not insulin-dependent. I even got a lecture about how "oh, I thought you had something more serious because you were off work for a week, at least you can just pop a few pills each day to deal with this". Many people have absolutely no understanding at all of T1 and don't understand what we go through on a daily (even hourly) basis. I sometimes feel that colleagues judge me for the time I took off or the occasional times I need to leave early for hospital appointments - they just assume that "diabetes" is "diabetes" and, since most people know only about T2, they tarnish everyone with the same brush.

Many people have absolutely no understanding at all of T1 ,
unquote :-

The problem is, type 1 is often left on the back burner, and I know from experience last year, because of a health professional's question to me.

I have said about type 1, liking it to the running of a car ie:- non diabetic, automatic, me, manual driver.

Try not to let it be negative, it can be frustrating at times, but best to move on.

Best wishes RRB

Last edited by a moderator:

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I am not a diabetic.
I have diabetes.
That's important to me but I can't really explain why.

Reactions: 3 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I am not a diabetic.
I have diabetes.
That's important to me but I can't really explain why.

I'll try.
I don't want diabetes to define who and what I am.
I am so much more than an illness.
I have it.
I'm not it.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
T1 gets so much less attention than T2 by virtue of numbers. T1s account for 0.5% of the population (at least in England), T2s for 5% (again in England). with an order of magnitude difference such as this, it is unsurprising that the media (and everyone else it seems) focuses on T2. That's where it's much more important to resolve the issue, from a cost perspective.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Let's face it, there is little you can do to sensationalise Type 1 in the media, and assign " blame " I agree with @Jaylee , Type 2 is the new AIDS , and like the media brouhaha about AIDS, it ignores the fact that some people don't fit the so called pattern of acquiring it.

I've had my fair share of misunderstandings and ignorance whilst preaching at me or "helpful" advice that saved their aunt/granny/ hamster, but would rather use it as an opportunity to educate them differently. Mostly, people don't give a monkeys what the difference is, unless it happens to them :rolleyes:

As for renaming it, I doubt it would make one iota of difference. The dictionary definition is :
any of several disorders characterized byincreased urine production.
Also called diabetes mellitus
[mel-i-tuhs) a disorder of carbohydrate metabolism, usually occurring in genetically predisposed individuals,characterized by inadequate production or utilisation of insulin and resulting inexcessive amounts of glucose in the blood and urine, excessive thirst, weight loss, andin some cases progressive destruction of small blood vessels leading to such complications as infections and gangrene of the limbs or blindness.

It sounds much the same to me no matter what the cause. :rolleyes: As for what other people think, I give not one whit , there is far more to life than worrying or being bothered about opinions of those that have no impact on my life as a whole ;)

Signy

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables

Sounds like you don't know much more about diabetes than your friends and acquaintances.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Try not to let it worry you too much, @pinewood ;) For many of us, it rolls off like water off a ducks back, because the majority of people have no basic medical knowledge whatsoever. Or they think they do, they read about it in "The Daily Wail " so it must be true :rolleyes:. Even if they have a family member who has Type 2 doesn't mean that they know or understand all that person does to manage ( or not!) their condition .

To paraphrase Martin Luther King Jr. :
"Nothing in the world is more irritating than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity "

Signy

Scardoc

Leaving aside the "tarred with this brush" aspect of the OP and looking at the question: can they be more positively distinguished?

Yes they can, by renaming them. Should they be? No.

I will hold my hands up and say that when the doctor said to me "you have type 1 diabetes", my response was to stare vacantly at him wondering "what the Hell is that then?". So, sorry Martin Luther King but I was sincerely ignorant. That said, I had no involvement with diabetes through family, friends, education or work.

Point is, everyone can't know everything about all the conditions and ailments out there. The secondary, and perhaps bigger point, is that when people are ignorant they will do one of two things: 1. Ask questions and seek to learn. 2. Say the first thing that comes to mind.

Approximately 6hrs after the Doc told me that I was leaving the hospital having been educated on diabetes. Do I worry or care of people can't tell the difference? No way. I have enough to concern myself with in life without that!!