DKA

lilwoody85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all. Brand new to the forum website. I have been round the houses with my diabetes. Starting with gestational then onto type 2 and for the last 5 years or so type 1. I have never been very good at controlling my blood sugars. I think I had been in denial as to how serious it was. I ate a lot of rubbish and would skip doses of insulin. Recently I had what I thought was severe heartburn but it was actually DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis) I ended up being rushed into hospital by ambulance and almost died. Thankfully I'm still here to tell the tale. I just wondered if anyone else had had experience of it and did it give you the wake up call you needed (like it did me). Thanks

C

catherinecherub

Hi @lilwoody85 and welcome to the forum.

There are plenty of Type1s who have been less than perfect with their control and will be able to empathise with you. You will get plenty of support here .

I will bump your post up for a reply.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thankfully I've never had DKA, but if you want some information on testing for ketones then have a look at the following :

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/testing-for-ketones.html

If you've not had the opportunity to do a carb counting course such as DAFNE then I strongly suggest you get your name down, the course cover a lot of aspects of type 1 diabetes management and also includes the Sick Day Rules, which covers testing for ketones.

The following is an on-line carb counting course which is based on the DAFNE teachings, register as you should find it immensely helpful:

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've read here that the courses are good..until then..what I would do if T1 and wanted control...
I'd start with a proper basal test ..
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/info/?page_id=120

I would go low carb higher fats LCHF for now..less carbs.. smaller bolus..smaller mistakes...the amount of carbs can also adjust weight ..add carbs and reduce fats if I want as I get a handle on it.
I'd go back and start from the basics again and make sure I got it all..
as well as BDEC online..I'd google some workbooks
Carbohydrate Counting ,
– The Next Steps

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Welcome to forum!

An acquaintance last week died from DKA. So it is lucky that you and some people survive DKA. He was in his 50's and had been T1 for decades.

However, glad you have had a wake up call and that you will now carry on with trying to get better control of your levels. I think it is natural to rebel against something that we really do not find a natural thing to do and it is imposed upon us....

I can't add anything else in really but to offer support from the forum . I've never had DKA but wondered when being told of this acquaintance's death just what it feels like.

Bethmols

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all. Brand new to the forum website. I have been round the houses with my diabetes. Starting with gestational then onto type 2 and for the last 5 years or so type 1. I have never been very good at controlling my blood sugars. I think I had been in denial as to how serious it was. I ate a lot of rubbish and would skip doses of insulin. Recently I had what I thought was severe heartburn but it was actually DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis) I ended up being rushed into hospital by ambulance and almost died. Thankfully I'm still here to tell the tale. I just wondered if anyone else had had experience of it and did it give you the wake up call you needed (like it did me). Thanks

My daughter was diagnosed with diabetes after being rushed to hospital in ambulance due to dka, we had no idea she was diabetic, doctor estimates she has been diabetic for at least a year was constantly at doctors for last 18 months prior to this due to tonsillitis and discussed with doctor the abnormal amount of water she drank everything was put down to tonsillitis it was only 2 days after the operation to remove the tonsils that she became very ill and within 4 hours went from a healthy although groggy from having an operation girl to an aggressive and eventually not knowing who we (her parents) were during this time I was advised by NHs24 to get her to eat ice lollies etc and get an appointment with doctors when we got to doctors we were then advised she was dehydrated and sent by ambulance to a hospital where we were asked if any pills were missing in the house eventually she was transported with a doctor in an ambulance to another hospital where an immediate diagnosis was made she was out on emergency support machines and transferred to hdu she eventually made a full recovery and was discharged 22/12/14. Although I am thankful I have my daughter here to tell the tale what astounds me now is the complete lack of knowledge on diabetes my daughter over and above being at doctors surgery every 2 weeks for 18 months had pre op assessments in 2 different hospitals and was operated on in a 3rd hospital and not one doctor/nurse picked up on or had an inclination for this to be checked.

Bethmols

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Also she had a hbc1a I think that's how it goes of 178 which was the highest the hospital has ever recorded was down to 101 after 2 months next clinic is in 3 weeks we are hoping it's going to be near target by then don't know how that compares with others