Newbie trying Newcastle diet.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that being aware of how hunger makes you feel before you go on the ND is a great place to begin! Then you can have coping mechanisms in place ready to put into action when the hunger pangs press upon you. For me - it's the usual types of things (which normally work! If one can call an ND a normal anything!) - walks, TV, movies, love - fun stuff that occupies one's mind - that kind of thing. (And planning dinner parties you'll have when it's all over? Especially for a foodie like you!) (I'm a foodie - but only in the eating department! I have had to learn to cook anew, since being diagnosed, so I can control the ingredients.)

Will your ND be a classic one? ie - meal replacement sachets? Or will you do a deviation? (I was going to say - if you are using real food, just the mini portions that that entails - you could put together a 'Tiny meal on the deviated ND cookbook'! With calorie counts and everything. Good way to occupy your mind with food while coping with any hunger? And I'd buy it for sure! :).)
I will do the shake's one. Hopefully I can just do it as I am not sure what will I do once I am off the food completely. Planning to increase my walks to get used to it. I think for me best time will be march April as it's not very cold or hot. I really hope I have the strength to finish it.

Reactions: 2 people

Flashtash2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I will do the shake's one. Hopefully I can just do it as I am not sure what will I do once I am off the food completely. Planning to increase my walks to get used to it. I think for me best time will be march April as it's not very cold or hot. I really hope I have the strength to finish it.
You will do I did it at the worst time of year straight after Christmas first of jan I having been freezing for the last 2 months so keep warm

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You will do I did it at the worst time of year straight after Christmas first of jan I having been freezing for the last 2 months so keep warm
Hats off to you. Thanks for the encouragement. I am looking upto you guys and will finish it.

Reactions: 6 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I wondered about that too. Our Prof Taylor said that being on meal replacement sachets meant that hunger was lowered - but as you know I was also wondering if that was just classic English understatement.

I hear you though! And I read your post referring to the 'minor inconvenience' you experienced on the 8 weeks on the ND - and the 3rd or 4th time I read it, I began to believe you. And now the 'Truthfully no hunger' I just have to accept that it was true! ;):) And maybe that guy in Prof Taylor's pic really WAS smiling from lack of hunger, lol. It was really just me who was not smiling! At least not that day. But I'm smiling now. (I just had dinner. A very very small dinner, where I had to weigh the pork chop, and cut it into a pretty small piece - but it WAS a piece of pork chop. Yum.)

I wonder also if it is plain old metabolism differences. I have always had a very hearty appetite, and I am very sensitive to food and exercise, as both can make a dramatic impact. Maybe after 5 weeks my body just wanted to have 'a Feed me' hissy fit? (And I am ah, rather highly expressive.) (I calmed down after dinner. And I went to sleep early - which is a major way I deal with supper-less evenings.)

Before doing my deviated ND I was most afraid of the hunger. The other day when I posted on my hunger - that was the worst experience I have had of it - apart from when I started with a water-only four-day fast - the third and fourth day of that was pretty intense! So intense I was frankly relieved to start on the deviated ND. (800-900 calories was WAY better than nothing!) (I got over it after a week.)

My partner was also most afraid of what I would be like hungry! :). But actually - compared to the mood swing roller coaster ride I had been on in the couple of years previously when neither of us knew I had T2D (and the prediabetic period we must have endured also) - bearing with me hungry is a walk in the park in comparison! When I had become diabetic but didn't know it, I lost friends (due to my bad moods), and now, even though I am really hungry - I am making them again. I smile again. I even sing when I walk - which is what I used to be like before I lost my health. So you see what I am saying - the hunger is way better than madly uncontrolled blood glucose levels. And there is an end in sight to the hunger. Thank goodness. Amazing that blood glucose levels can affect one so much - but high blood glucose levels clearly affect me, as do prediabetic-normal ones (as they are now). Or so it seems to me at any rate.

Wow, I think I did it the easy way. I don't think I would have coped with small quantities of real food.
I am an all or nothing sort of girl. I have since the original ND stint with total food replacement, attempted VLCD with some food about 800 cals a day, and I just can't hack it for long.

I salute you and anyone else who can do the cal restriction ND with real food.

Perhaps it was exercise endorphins that eliminated hunger for me, along with the induced ketosis.

The little white hen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that being aware of how hunger makes you feel before you go on the ND is a great place to begin! Then you can have coping mechanisms in place ready to put into action when the hunger pangs press upon you. For me - it's the usual types of things (which normally work! If one can call an ND a normal anything!) - walks, TV, movies, love - fun stuff that occupies one's mind - that kind of thing. (And planning dinner parties you'll have when it's all over? Especially for a foodie like you!) (I'm a foodie - but only in the eating department! I have had to learn to cook anew, since being diagnosed, so I can control the ingredients.)

Will your ND be a classic one? ie - meal replacement sachets? Or will you do a deviation? (I was going to say - if you are using real food, just the mini portions that that entails - you could put together a 'Tiny meal on the deviated ND cookbook'! With calorie counts and everything. Good way to occupy your mind with food while coping with any hunger? And I'd buy it for sure! :).)

I completely agree with your comments here. You have to focus on the small pleasures and think about the benefits that will be in your life after the ND like better health. My husband and I have rediscovered the cinema and enjoyed a night out together that way instead of going for a meal.

Flashtash2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Its the last day for you today isn't it? Hope its worked and you are back to normal levels. Let us know.
It is hurrah so in total have lost 2 stone 9 and a half lbs or 16.8 kg down to 9 stone 7lbs a nice round figure I think just working out my BMI and body percentage of weight lost so will post in a bit :)

Reactions: 4 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is hurrah so in total have lost 2 stone 9 and a half lbs or 16.8 kg down to 9 stone 7lbs a nice round figure I think just working out my BMI and body percentage of weight lost so will post in a bit :)

Well done!
Lets hope you are in the ND reversed group.

Maybe we should call ourselves DN?

Reactions: 10 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Flashtash2014
Take it easy when you start to eat again. Do it gradually, one meal on first day, two second, and small amount of carbs on third. Test BG regularly, particularly when you get back to full eating pattern. Don't forget you will not be wise to go back to a high carb diet.

Reactions: 4 people

Flashtash2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
@Flashtash2014
Take it easy when you start to eat again. Do it gradually, one meal on first day, two second, and small amount of carbs on third. Test BG regularly, particularly when you get back to full eating pattern. Don't forget you will not be wise to go back to a high carb diet.
No worries with that Pipp low carb from now on I know my stomach has shrunk I'm struggling with the small evening veg/salad I have now. I'm planning on carrying on using the shakes for the time being at least and will continue to test regularly and then to introduce specific carb based foods to see what effect they have on my body. I know this is only the start but have never felt so good about myself the way I do at the moment maybe the diabetes was a blessing in disguise? Anyway total weight lost 16.8kgs but since being diagnosed mid October 2014 22.8kgs my BMI has gone from 26.6 to 20.8 and my body fat percentage lost 21.8% I think need to double check that but all in all I am well pleased with this :)

Reactions: 10 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No worries with that Pipp low carb from now on I know my stomach has shrunk I'm struggling with the small evening veg/salad I have now. I'm planning on carrying on using the shakes for the time being at least and will continue to test regularly and then to introduce specific carb based foods to see what effect they have on my body. I know this is only the start but have never felt so good about myself the way I do at the moment maybe the diabetes was a blessing in disguise? Anyway total weight lost 16.8kgs but since being diagnosed mid October 2014 22.8kgs my BMI has gone from 26.6 to 20.8 and my body fat percentage lost 21.8% I think need to double check that but all in all I am well pleased with this :)

Thanks. I might have to give it another go. Still with weight to lose and getting a bit careless with food after three and a half years non-diabetic BG levels. I am pushing my luck if I don't get a grip.

Reading of the endeavours and success of others here could be the incentive I need.

Reactions: 7 people

Flashtash2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Thanks. I might have to give it another go. Still with weight to lose and getting a bit careless with food after three and a half years non-diabetic BG levels. I am pushing my luck if I don't get a grip.

Reading of the endeavours and success of others here could be the incentive I need.
I'm sure it will I have no desires to come off this forum it's such a motivator

The little white hen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone just wanted to let you know I have purchased myself a blood test machine. Two hours after my only proper meal of the day on ND my level was 7.2. I have been on the Diabetes UK website and they tell me that's good for after food. I will continue to test. Any advice welcome. Also checked my BMI online down to 23.88 now in healthy weight range yippee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 9 people