What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Samm38

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People spitting. People thinking there better than me.
Just checked my levels they are 20.1. I had a fish cake butty from chippy for my tea. That was 3hrs ago was there too many carbs in that. :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just checked my levels they are 20.1. I had a fish cake butty from chippy for my tea. That was 3hrs ago was there too many carbs in that. :)

and I take it the "butty" was a big roll? They usually are in chip shops. Fish cakes are more often bread crumbed fish and potato mashed together.

Samm38

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
No our fish cakes are two pieces of potato with fish in the middle with batter. Our buttys are t-cakes. X :)

Samm38

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi mike yes it was battered. X

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No our fish cakes are two pieces of potato with fish in the middle with batter. Our buttys are t-cakes. X :)

Very high carb Sam. The potato, batter and t-cakes are not wise choices at all. You are unlikely to find anything higher in carbs at one meal. Potatoes, bread, rice, pasta, cereals, and anything made with flour such as batter are the worst culprits in raising blood sugars.

Reactions: 2 people

Samm38

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I haven't been told by the doctors or my diabetic nurse what to eat and what not to eat.
They have told me I can eat as normal and drink as normal just cut down the sugar in my tea. I used to have 2 sugars now I have 1. I'm trying to cut it down to none. I've tried the sweetners but they make my tea taste funny. :)

Samm38

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
THANK YOU! So much everybody for all your help I've got more info off everybody on this site, than I have off my doctors since I got diagnosed 4yrs ago.
There always changing my meds which won't help me. I will keep you all informed if cutting out the carbs works.
THANK YOU SO MUCH. :) :)

Reactions: 3 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
@Bluetit1802 is right Samm ...... of course test with something else to eat to prove what we (and others) might suspect is the culprit.

Cutting down on sugars might be one thing but it's in isolation of plenty of other eating habits (starches etc.) you might need to embrace if you wish to get those numbers down. Test test test :) .... and though your GP and DN are your first port of call, YOU are the one who must take control and read as much as you can from the experience of others on this board.

Keep going :)

Mike

Reactions: 5 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
THANK YOU! So much everybody for all your help I've got more info off everybody on this site, than I have off my doctors since I got diagnosed 4yrs ago.
There always changing my meds which won't help me. I will keep you all informed if cutting out the carbs works.
Hi 'Cutting out the Carbs' will work, trust me/us, do it, you will be amazed, look a peoples signatures they are mainly on LCHF diets.
Neil

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Sounds like standard care to me. It's no wonder HCPs think that type 2 is always progressive. Cut out the sugar and other carbs to get your blood sugar levels down and give them a big surprise at your next appointment with your test results.

Reactions: 4 people

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm getting quite concerned as my figures are going backwards. In November last year when I was diagnosed my venous fasting BG was 4.5 (but high A1c). I embarked on a Newcastle style diet and lost almost 8kg in 5 weeks but FBG - indeed average BG was consistently averaging 5.5 according to my meter. Recently and this morning, for example, 6.5 2 hours after getting up but before breakfast. :( Have had some false restarts on the diet but the recent figures have motivated me and I'm back on the diet today for at least another 2 weeks.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Don't worry about that just yet ..... your body could well be adjusting ...... and at least you're testing which is great and those figures aren't too bad at all.

Some reckon a new diet will settle in after a few weeks. For me, it was months

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After several mid-6s this morning was 5.0 - rather shocked but obviously pleased; that's the best I can recall getting out of the meter since I have had it. On the other hand I am starting day 3 of my return to a Newcastle style 800 calorie a day diet for a couple of weeks.

Because I have been suspicious about the accuracy of my CodeFree meter I tested my non-diabetic wife this morning. She is on a LCHF diet in order to lose weight but not tightly controlling calories like me. She was 5.3 :) - and she's not pleased and has demanded a re-test two hours after breakfast. She had about 500 calories of full English breakfast while I had 200 calories of milled linseed and a smidgen of oats. She was half way through her first morning cuppa (unsweetened tea with milk) but I don't think any lactose from the milk would have got through her system by the time I tested her. I expect the table will be turned for the follow-up test...

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After several mid-6s this morning was 5.0 - rather shocked but obviously pleased; that's the best I can recall getting out of the meter since I have had it. On the other hand I am starting day 3 of my return to a Newcastle style 800 calorie a day diet for a couple of weeks.

Because I have been suspicious about the accuracy of my CodeFree meter I tested my non-diabetic wife this morning. She is on a LCHF diet in order to lose weight but not tightly controlling calories like me. She was 5.3 :) - and she's not pleased and has demanded a re-test two hours after breakfast. She had about 500 calories of full English breakfast while I had 200 calories of milled linseed and a smidgen of oats. She was half way through her first morning cuppa (unsweetened tea with milk) but I don't think any lactose from the milk would have got through her system by the time I tested her. I expect the table will be turned for the follow-up test...

2 hours after breakfast and I was up to 5.7 from 5.0 and my better half was up to 6.2 from 5.3. She's feeling a bit more relaxed now after I explained that she had consumed a lot more calories for her body weight than me (I'm 12.5 stone and she is 9 stone) and she had partaken in another cup of tea. I am pleased today with my results but I have to reflect that I only had 200 calories for breakfast.