Would you have.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Half a round of fried bread? I couldn't leave it at that, i'd have to have the whole slice, so am better leaving it out completely ;)

Reactions: 2 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Half a round of fried bread? I couldn't leave it at that, i'd have to have the whole slice, so am better leaving it out completely ;)
I know what you mean!
I slice a full one into two halves .... one for me one for my darling.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
And they say romance is dead!!!!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
RESULTS are in for 100g of the ice cream on it's own.
Pre 7.4 which was 2hrs post dinner.
1hr 6.5
90 mins 6.8
2 hrs 6.2
So looks like the 8g of carbs in it had very little affect if any.

I'm glad it didn't spike you, but it meant you were still in the 6's at 4 hours post your dinner. What are you normally 4 hours post dinner?
I'm another that can have half a slice of fried bread (white because my seeded bread isn't as nice fried) without any affect on my levels, but I do have it with a full fry up, so lots of fat. Having said that, I am OK with one slice of my Hovis as well.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm going to try fried bread in a few weeks time, want to get my levels stable before I start testing any more potentially dodgy foods ;)
When I was a kid I loved fried bread with a hole cut in the middle and an egg fried in it, anyone else? :)

Reactions: 4 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I'm going to try fried bread in a few weeks time, want to get my levels stable before I start testing any more potentially dodgy foods ;)
When I was a kid I loved fried bread with a hole cut in the middle and an egg fried in it, anyone else? :)
You've done it now!!!!
Should I report this post .....

Reactions: 6 people

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've never used it, what do you use it in?
Just use as you would olive oil when cooking. Only a small amount is needed basically, puts a new meaning to cooking, I think it brings out the flavor of the food more.

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I stir a tablespoonful into a bowl of porridge and the porridge has more or less no effect on my BS.
Without the oil I can't tolerate the oats.
I also fry with it occasionally.
I was thinking of adding dessicated coconut to porridge.

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm glad it didn't spike you, but it meant you were still in the 6's at 4 hours post your dinner. What are you normally 4 hours post dinner?
I'm another that can have half a slice of fried bread (white because my seeded bread isn't as nice fried) without any affect on my levels, but I do have it with a full fry up, so lots of fat. Having said that, I am OK with one slice of my Hovis as well.
I hover between mid 5's to mid 7's & considering I was 7.4 at the start hrs post dinner it really had no effect at all on my lvl.

C

catherinecherub

What good nut oils are there part from coconut?

Macadamia and walnut add a lovely taste to salads and you don't need to use much.
http://www.medicaldaily.com/seven-great-benefits-walnut-oil-231697
  • Macadamia oil has close similarities as that of olive oil. Added to dishes, it imparts sweet delicious flavor to a wide variety of foods. It is widely applied as cooking and dressing oil in the preparations of vegetables, seafood and meat dishes in many cuisines.
    http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/macadamia-nut.html

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Macadamia and walnut add a lovely taste to salads and you don't need to use much.
http://www.medicaldaily.com/seven-great-benefits-walnut-oil-231697
  • Macadamia oil has close similarities as that of olive oil. Added to dishes, it imparts sweet delicious flavor to a wide variety of foods. It is widely applied as cooking and dressing oil in the preparations of vegetables, seafood and meat dishes in many cuisines.
    http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/macadamia-nut.html
I have to agree about macadamia nut oil. It tastes really good and it's got a good omega 3 to 6 ratio (roughly 1:1). Unfortunately I haven't seen any in stores since I moved form California. I plan to check out the local health food store soon.

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The OH came home with this today
http://www.sweetfreedom.co.uk/index.php/sweet-freedom-original
Have you used it or use it for sweetening things to replace sugar.
Its made from 100% fruit,containes 3,4 carbs of which sugar is 3/tsp, normal sugar has 8 I believe, it's low gi/gl so a lot less chance of the spike, & it says use 25% less gram for gram than sugar, but I think you could get away with 50% so half the gram for gram of sugar.
Uses porrigde tea coffee baking etc.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ice cream from Lidl's.
Ingredients
Partially reconstituted skimmed milk concentrate, sugar, palm oil, dextrose, whey powder, (milk), emulsifiers, mono & diglycerides of fatty acids, stabilisers, guar gum, sodium alginate, natural flavoring, colour, cartenes.

If you are after ice cream have you tried http://boojabooja.com/ice-cream/ ? Very few ingredients though still fairly high carb and quite pricey but certainly none of the rubbish put into lots of the other mass produced ice creams. I haven't yet tried it so can't comment on flavour!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The OH came home with this today
http://www.sweetfreedom.co.uk/index.php/sweet-freedom-original
Have you used it or use it for sweetening things to replace sugar.
Its made from 100% fruit,containes 3,4 carbs of which sugar is 3/tsp, normal sugar has 8 I believe, it's low gi/gl so a lot less chance of the spike, & it says use 25% less gram for gram than sugar, but I think you could get away with 50% so half the gram for gram of sugar.
Uses porrigde tea coffee baking etc.

Try it and see, but with 16% fructose it's not for me - type 2's can't cope too well with fructose. Have a Google round about it. It can make insulin resistance worse I believe.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Ice cream from Lidl's.
Ingredients
Partially reconstituted skimmed milk concentrate, sugar, palm oil, dextrose, whey powder, (milk), emulsifiers, mono & diglycerides of fatty acids, stabilisers, guar gum, sodium alginate, natural flavoring, colour, cartenes.
Ice cream is a dairy product.
That thing is a vegetable chemical product.
Only ice cream I'll eat is home made or one that says on the label .... real dairy ice cream.

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try it and see, but with 16% fructose it's not for me - type 2's can't cope too well with fructose. Have a Google round about it. It can make insulin resistance worse I believe.
Maybe if you have too much it could, same as everything else can be bad in large quantities.
Anyway tried the Sweet freedom this morn with me 30g porridge.
Yesterday as I normally have it.
B4 6, post 1hr 8.9 & 2hr 5.6
Today with 2 tsp added.
B4 6.1 post 1hr 8.4 & 2hr 6.9.
So less of a rise but slower to drop back, forgot to test at 90mins but as it was 6.1 at 2hrs prob was on way back down then anyway. So to me not bad & did add the needed sweetness to.

Last edited by a moderator: