Do you eat breakfast?

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So, how many of you guys eat breakfast? And why do you/don't you eat it? I must admit I don't eat breakfast not that I don't want to but I just can't stomach it no matter what it is. If you gave me something for breakfast I could chew it but it's like my swallowing reflex just goes away, so I stopped eating it altogether because I was constantly wasting the food I was making. And yet when I was younger I loved breakfast!

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find it hard. It's one thing to think 'I'm diabetic, I can have a cooked breakfast, except for toast', it's quite another to get up an appetite for it. I try to alternate yoghurt and berries with eggs in some form. If I can be bothered to make it, a sweet omelette with blueberries is always nice. More often or not I have a couple of cups of coffee and wait for my stomach to wake up a couple of hours later.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Aren't you hungry in the morning?

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I sometimes wake up ravenous and sometimes really don't want to eat. I always want at least two cups of tea mind you! On the days O'm not hungry, I have a bit of yogurt and a few berries, but I thought it was good to eat regularly to stabilise blood sugar. Have I got that wrong? I'm still new to all this, recently diagnosed prediabetic, and I've been trying hard to eat regular meals instead of my previously chaotic approach!

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Have I got that wrong?

At least in my opinion, no, you haven't ...... regular meals are important, at least to me.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I am hungry all the time ( I've been like this for about 35 years now, so pre type 1). I had always have 3 meals a day and breakfast is something very light, just had a small Mango and carrot kids yogurt this morning, not so keen on cooked food first thing. Breakfast has always been a must for me to get the mind and body going for the day ahead.

RRB

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
No I hate breakfast. Have no stomach signals for hunger at all. I really struggle at eating it.

Think my lack of wanting food is from moving away from home to work at 15 years old and food had always been a joint family eating, and I then lost that at a fairly early age and had to then feed myself. It was difficult to make ends meet when you earnt £28 a week and £15 a week was rent (before busfares etc). So food became a less priority and I'd only had small quantities at home anyway.

So my eating has remained as wanting to eat together with someone else with them sort of being the provider as my family eating was. So I like company to eat without Company eating is only thru necessity.

Definitely not because I want to starve myself for size or weight fear. Just the need to eat with somebody.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dunno how you do it :) But we're all different :)
It actually has always made me feel "different" even though I enjoy cooking and baking I still don't eat unless someone else there. However, my Mum and dad used to give me the mixing bowls to lick or scrape so this has remained. I still lick bowls!

It does definitely make me feel different.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Aren't you hungry in the morning?

I don't really get hungry in the morning any more. I get hungry late evening so I tend to have a small supper of toast because it seems so much more appetising at night :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm never hungry for breakfast, but I have had to learn to eat, because I get a pronounced dawn phenomenon. Eating breakfast will bring it down in a comfortable controlled fashion.

Not eating breakfast will cause my bg to crash around 11am - horrible hypo, and massive food cravings.

Years of trial and error has taught me the best option is a protein/fat brekkie (ham n cheese, bacon, egg, leftovers...) while any carb at all starts me on a miserable high/low see-saw that will mess up the whole day.

I can eat some carbs at lunch or evening, but never brekkie.

Last edited by a moderator:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Eat breakfast because I don't eat anything from 7pm the previous evening so always ready for it, plus it keeps my bg levels steady throughout the morning. Breakfast IMHO is the best meal of the day, never really miss it unless fasting for a cholesterol check.

Reactions: 4 people
C

chris lowe

Poached, scrambled or fried egg with a slice of Bergen toast. I can't drink anything until I've eaten or it makes me feel nauseous.

Reactions: 2 people
K

Kat100

Love my breakfast ...alpen the no added sugar type with almond milk
Do try to make my own combination up every night ..leave in fridge ...then warm up in microwave ...
I drink,warm water with my breakfast ...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Eat breakfast because I don't eat anything from 7pm the previous evening so always ready for it, plus it keeps my bg levels steady throughout the morning. Breakfast IMHO is the best meal of the day, never really miss it unless fasting for a cholesterol check.

Hourly basal on a pump helps the huge DP so never have to worry now about not having breakfast. Glad that you enjoy a breakfast though!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hourly basal on a pump helps the huge DP so never have to worry now about not having breakfast. Glad that you enjoy a breakfast though!

It does indeed, woke up at 8am today and bg was a nice 5.4mmol, if I overslept on MDI I would heading for double figures by that time.

That said DD, if I don't eat upon waking I still get a liver dump, so always have breakfast wherever possible.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
If I lie in... I get low's!!! My set up is to get up at 5am 5 days a week, so that's when I normally get liver dumps and my insulin basal rates double.
I'm still working on a lie in basal rate as I want to fine tune this but lying in and then getting up at 8an doesn't give me liver dumps. I think it's something to do with getting a full 8-10 hours sleep rather than 5-6 hours...
At least with the Insight I can give a label name to the different basal rates so I know to switch over at 10pm on a Friday night and switch back 10pm Sunday night.

Rose28

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love breakfast and I'm always hungry for it because I haven't usually eaten anything since about 6pm the previous evening.
I use to enjoy buttered toast or a healthy cereal but nowadays I do love my homemade green smoothies... This sets me up for the rest of the day and gives me loadsa energy, especially if I add chia seeds & lots of greens :)

Reactions: 4 people

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
I like my coffee when I get up,then have brealfast,I make my own cereal from nuts done in the food processer and add dry porrage oats and flaxseed.add a few berries and whole milk.I do enough nuts for the week,Its a bit expensive but I know whats in it.
I cant eat bacon and eggs first thing,saying that I do when Im on holiday and its made for me.

Reactions: 6 people