Insulin Resistance (Metformin) and Keto

alveree

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey,

Can someone give me advices and opinion about the Keto Diet + treatment of insulin resistance (my mother is with D. type 1) (mine results 1. 19 - 23 / 2. 19 - 140 / 3. 19 - 90, have it from 4-5 years, blood sugar - around 7 in the mornings, and 8-13 after something eated) with Metformin(3x850). 185 cm, 23 years old (today haha), 95 kg (I was 75 kgs but those 20 kilos I got because of **** IR) - I want to be 75 but it feels so impossible thing to do, that's way I hope the Keto diet will help.
Also I had tooths that was in very healthy conditions .... now it's getting worse, really worse, blood pressure is very low or very high but not normal, pulse is always high in calm condition (95-105), also sometimes I can't feel my whole hands.

Just really want to take an advantage over the IR and hope that the Keto (High Fat Diet) will help, actually that is my last chance of a diet (Low Fat doesn't help, even I had several hypogl. when the worst was with sugar 2.1; Rotation of Carbs also doens't help) :\\

So what do you think? Is it safe to start the KD, any risks, side effects? It will help to control the weight and loose some kilos?

Last edited by a moderator:

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hey,Can someone give me advices and opinion about the Keto Diet + treatment of insulin resistance (my mother is with D. type 1) (mine results 1. 19 - 23 / 2. 19 - 140 / 3. 19 - 90, have it from 4-5 years, blood sugar - around 7 in the mornings, and 8-13 after something eated) with Metformin(3x850). 185 cm, 23 years old (today haha), 95 kg (I was 75 kgs but those 20 kilos I got because of **** IR) - I want to be 75 but it feels so impossible thing to do, that's way I hope the Keto diet will help.
Also I had tooths that was in very healthy conditions .... now it's getting worse, really worse, blood pressure is very low or very high but not normal, pulse is always high in calm condition (95-105), also sometimes I can't feel my whole hands.
Just really want to take an advantage over the IR and hope that the Keto (High Fat Diet) will help, actually that is my last chance of a diet (Low Fat doesn't help, even I had several hypogl. when the worst was with sugar 2.1; Rotation of Carbs also doens't help) :\\
So what do you think? Is it safe to start the KD, any risks, side effects? It will help to control the weight and loose some kilos?

Hi Alveree, Your post brought out very strong maternal feelings in me! Due to the fact I have a son around your age, who I suspect has insulin resistance too (and me being a type 2 diabetic). If he said, ‘Can someone give me advices and opinions’ and ‘So what do you think?’ to me - or anyone! I would be over the moon… I am also a teacher, and used to handing out info sheets and the like, so bear with me :).

I have been studying up on the ketogenic diet myself these days, as it seems a natural progression from low-carb diets, and other regimens designed to kickstart a wonky blood glucose/leptin/insulin system. In my wanderings around the internet I kept coming upon it, and on moderate-protein-high fat versions, and of course the LCHF diets (and the great dietdoctor that Jack412 suggests).

As for keto diets - Many of the youtube segments and commentators on keto diets are young men like yourself, and gorgeously athletic young women, who seem to respond very strongly to the body-focus, and building up muscle that young people can take to so well (and we… older folk can too! of course, given the inclination. But easier when young perhaps).

Browse in youtube, choose your commentators? And learn, and have fun!

Just a couple to start you off (sorry if a bit too much) if you haven't found them already?:

In depth look at ketogenic diets and ketosis
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/keto.htm

7 Easy Steps To Start Eating A Ketogenic Diet

Dr. Dominic D'agostino discusses Ketogenic Diet as metabolic therapy

This chap below can be a bit dry, but knows his stuff:
Jeff Volek: The Many Facets of Keto-Adaptation: Health, Performance, and Beyond

I was looking online at these books on keto diets myself this morning - and I earmarked them for myself - both the guide, and a recipe book - very important when changing over to a new style of eating and food prep! Especially if trying to be moderate protein and high fat for instance - how to do that? Well, the recipe book promises to show us how…

You don’t have to buy anything of course - just utilise your local library! (I like amazon for the book reviews by readers.)

Keto Clarity: Your Definitive Guide to the Benefits of a Low-Carb, High-Fat Diet
by
Jimmy Moore, Eric Westman MD
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1628600071/ref=rdr_ext_tmb

200 Low-Carb, High-Fat Recipes: Easy Recipes to Jumpstart Your Low-Carb Weight Loss by Dana Carpender
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1592336388/ref=rdr_ext_tmb

I was also watching the wonderful Dr Richard K Bernstein on youtube yesterday, and as a type 1 diabetic success story, and inspiration he is hard to beat. (He might be a bit dry for you? but he talks the talk in a good way.)
Session 4. Ketones, Ketoacidosis, and Hyperglycemia. - Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes University

I strongly advise you to get a hold of his book, The Diabetes Solution, or listen to his segments online - or both! I think you will get an enormous amount out of it, as you are at a stage where you can make an enormous difference to the way your health goes? I believe…

As you are on metformin, and especially as you are so young - I would say also take Suzy Cohen’s advice - she is a pharmacist who has written some great books on ‘drug muggers’ - ie medication’s effect on your body, causing deficiencies and so on. She suggests taking supplements to make up for the ‘mugging effect’ of the medications, and suggests if taking metformin, you also supplement with: Coenzyme Q10 - 50-100 milligrams twice a day, folic acid - 400-800 micrograms daily, Methylocobalamin (B-12) 250-1000 micrograms daily, and probiotics 1-2 capsules daily.
(Her book, is Suzy Cohen’s 'Diabetes without drugs: The 5-step program to control blood sugar naturally and prevent diabetes complications'. I got it out from my local library, and made notes. It's pretty amazing, if - prescriptive!. An nice old dude and Suzy talk about her basic theories rather succinctly and clearly on http://www.cbn.com/tv/1405564626001 - if you can handle the sweet crusty old man interviewing her!)
Warning: When I was considering going on a course of metformin, I did go to the healthfood store and priced those supplements and went into a mild state of shock! I went home and looked up food sources for the nutrients, and there are of course - but be aware you will have to develop a bit of an obsession with nutrition! And food shopping! (And might want to supplement if only for the convenience.)

I hope the you get the information you need and want! And maybe get it all from browsing in youtube online…

Warm regards, Aloe

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I follow a low carb approach (on and off ) since I have always been Insulin Resistant. I take Metformin.

Low Carb (Atkins induction or Bersteins') keeps the hunger away and makes me lose weight fast.

I am diabetic now but brought my BG back into normal non diabetic range in less than a month by Low Carbing.

I eat fat, but I don't overload myself with it, just eat enough to be satisfied. No excess protein, lots of olive oil, nuts and avocado, and some cheese and cream, plus lots of vegs.

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh.. The first I did a very low carb diet, I wasn't taking any metformin. It worked just fine and I lost around 20kg