Just started on insulin and informed DVLA.....how long does decision take..

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My partner is Type 2 diabetic and started on insulin about two weeks ago....he has just completed and posted form to DVLA today notifying them of insulin....

....just wondered how long it takes for them to process information and make any medical enquiries........and how long it is until you hear their verdict....are we talking weeks or longer........am assuming he can continue to drive unless he hears otherwise....

Also would they know if he has informed his insurance company or not......so far he has not done this despite the diabetic nurse telling him he should and my reminders to do it...

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My partner is Type 2 diabetic and started on insulin about two weeks ago....he has just completed and posted form to DVLA today notifying them of insulin....

....just wondered how long it takes for them to process information and make any medical enquiries........and how long it is until you hear their verdict....are we talking weeks or longer........am assuming he can continue to drive unless he hears otherwise....

Also would they know if he has informed his insurance company or not......so far he has not done this despite the diabetic nurse telling him he should and my reminders to do it...

Molly, I don't know the answers to your questions, but I do know he's probably, currently renders him effectively uninsured. I think you will find his policy will have a clause about disclosing material information, and this non-disclosure could be problematical.

I'd suggest he make the phone call today.

Edit: just edited to say, the responsibility for telling his insurer, is with him, the policyholder, not the DVLA.

Last edited by a moderator:

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

well im a type 1 on insulin, i filled in certain bits of that forms,telling them my doctor and details. while this was on going my driving licence was at home but the sent me letter saying my licence was banned. it took them just under 3 months then i got a letter saying that there wanted my driving licence to ammend, then i got another letter with my driving licence for 3 years only followed by basically the same proceedure in 3 years time. the sad part was all by classes had changed, no driving of 7.5 ton /3.5 ton vehicals , no psv buses/mini buses or Taxis......now i can only drive a car and car and trailer and small vans. due to being a diabetic type 1 on 4 injections of insulin per day. since that day 3 years ago ive never driven at all use public transport now

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
well im a type 1 on insulin, i filled in certain bits of that forms,telling them my doctor and details. while this was on going my driving licence was at home but the sent me letter saying my licence was banned. it took them just under 3 months then i got a letter saying that there wanted my driving licence to ammend, then i got another letter with my driving licence for 3 years only followed by basically the same proceedure in 3 years time. the sad part was all by classes had changed, no driving of 7.5 ton /3.5 ton vehicals , no psv buses/mini buses or Taxis......now i can only drive a car and car and trailer and small vans. due to being a diabetic type 1 on 4 injections of insulin per day. since that day 3 years ago ive never driven at all use public transport now
regarding your car insurance.......well yes there need to know, thatll increase the premium...... but diabetes .co.uk im certain have insurance details,.............another thing holiday insurance have to be notified

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i have a friend thats type 1 on insulin, she drives a car and has never had her licence taken away

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Until he hears something, if he continues to drive, he must test before he does, and every 2 hours. If he doesn't tell the insurance and he is involved in an accident, no matter how minor, it is unlikely they will pay up.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
regarding your car insurance.......well yes there need to know, thatll increase the premium......
No they can't due to disability discrimination regs (but they will find another way...)

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My son posted the forms to DVLA to renew his licence on 8th February and received the new licence today, the 26th February.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
They say that you should have a response within 90 days. My last licence renewal took days. However after my driving incident it took full 90 days. I think quickness last time was because they then had a letter from consultant on file from my driving incident stating I am hypo aware.

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My car insurance never increased. They are not allowed to increase premiums because of diabetes as long as DVLA issue you a license. Travel ins will increase though. If your company tries to increase car ins premiums, change company.

iHs

@Molly56 I would imagine that it will take a few weeks for a decision to be made on whether to issue a 1 or 3yr licence because of insulin. The DVLA will want a report from a GP or hospital consultant in order for them to decide. In the meantime, he can still drive a car unless he receives notification not to drive pending enquiries into his fitness. Hopefully, it wont take too long for a GP or consultant to respond.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Give the DVLA four weeks, if you don't hear anything ring them up and ask for an update. Your partner needs to inform his insurance company otherwise his insurance may be invalid.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
He needs to tell his ins company because if he doesn't he has no ins. They can refuse to pay out if he has an accident.
He will also lose certain entitlements to his licence so make sure he is aware of this as well.

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you all for your replies and advice.....as far as I am aware he has still not called his insurance company and informed them of his diabetes and being on insulin ....I have reminded him on a number of occasions but ultimately he will have to make the call as the policy is in his name and the insurance company always insist on speaking to the policyholder....

.....his insurance is I think due for renewal at the end of next month (March) so perhaps he will inform them at that point......but not sure.....I know he should do this now and have told him a number of times over the past three weeks so don't see what else I can do.........I even mentioned that his insurance would not be valid but this still hasn't made him make that call....

For the record whenever we are out together I drive (is safer and I prefer it that way) and I took the step of removing him from my car insurance some time ago as he has no reason to drive my car....

....on that last note.........if I am driving his car and am a named driver on his policy....if I was to have an accident am I correct to assume that I would be covered as I am not the diabetic and have no notifiable medical condition......or would the insurance be invalid because he is the policyholder and has not informed them of his diabetes effectively negating it for both of us.....have literally just thought of that scenario whilst typing this....is a worrying thought .....perhaps someone knows the answer to this conundrum....

Will remind him again sometime over the weekend that he should inform them but ultimately he will have to make that call...

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
regarding your car insurance.......well yes there need to know, thatll increase the premium...... but diabetes .co.uk im certain have insurance details,.............another thing holiday insurance have to be notified
Not always the case. I,m insured through Hastings Direct. They have not increased my premium.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Thank you all for your replies and advice.....as far as I am aware he has still not called his insurance company and informed them of his diabetes and being on insulin ....I have reminded him on a number of occasions but ultimately he will have to make the call as the policy is in his name and the insurance company always insist on speaking to the policyholder....

.....his insurance is I think due for renewal at the end of next month (March) so perhaps he will inform them at that point......but not sure.....I know he should do this now and have told him a number of times over the past three weeks so don't see what else I can do.........I even mentioned that his insurance would not be valid but this still hasn't made him make that call....

For the record whenever we are out together I drive (is safer and I prefer it that way) and I took the step of removing him from my car insurance some time ago as he has no reason to drive my car....

....on that last note.........if I am driving his car and am a named driver on his policy....if I was to have an accident am I correct to assume that I would be covered as I am not the diabetic and have no notifiable medical condition......or would the insurance be invalid because he is the policyholder and has not informed them of his diabetes effectively negating it for both of us.....have literally just thought of that scenario whilst typing this....is a worrying thought .....perhaps someone knows the answer to this conundrum....

Will remind him again sometime over the weekend that he should inform them but ultimately he will have to make that call...
Can't be sure but would have thought that the named driver is ok. There is usually a question on the proposal along the lines of "Do you or anyone entitled to drive suffer from any illness that may affect their ability to drive?" This implies to me that the named driver is treated seperately but you should check to be on the safe side.

BTW. Started my application (first letter) in mid October, posted completed forms to DVLA in early December, and received 3yr licence at end of Jan. Gives you some idea of the time frame I experienced. May depend on how long your doc takes to reply to any enquiry.

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i have a friend thats type 1 on insulin, she drives a car and has never had her licence taken away
shes probebly never informed them, the doctor and diabetic nurses insist there contacted. yes you can drive with type 1

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Give the DVLA four weeks, if you don't hear anything ring them up and ask for an update. Your partner needs to inform his insurance company otherwise his insurance may be invalid.
regarding DVLA medical group check at random with our GPs i was told , looking at patients HYPOS if any two many recorded hypos can cause your licence to be revoked

mikeg1964

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you return licence when returning the notification form or do they issue a new licence and ask for the old one. ? Three months without a physical licence seems a bit harsh.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
shes probebly never informed them, the doctor and diabetic nurses insist there contacted. yes you can drive with type 1
That's not correct. I've been on insulin for 50 years and my GP has never been asked by the dvla about my fitness to drive. I fill in the forms for renewal and the licence is back within 2 or 3 weeks at the most.

Reactions: 3 people