New meds

Samm38

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People spitting. People thinking there better than me.
Hello there, I'm now on 2mg Amaryl and 500mg metformin tablets. I've for really bad stomach cramps and feel really tired. Also I got diarrhoea 2hrs after taking them. Are these side effects of the tablets. Or is low blood sugars.
I'm really scared.

Thanks
Sam
:)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I know nothing about Amaryl, but plain Metformin can cause bowel upset. Iy may settle but if not do ask the GP for the Slow Release (SR) version.

Reactions: 3 people

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello there, I'm now on 2mg Amaryl and 500mg metformin tablets. I've for really bad stomach cramps and feel really tired. Also I got diarrhoea 2hrs after taking them. Are these side effects of the tablets. Or is low blood sugars.
I'm really scared.

Thanks
Sam

Hi Sam. I second what Diabell said. As I have IBS, I asked for the SR from day one. Still, I had very bad diarrhea and stomach cramps for months before my body finally got used to it. For most people, the stomach upset only lasts a few days or a week. I found it very helpful to take my Metformin in the middle of my meals (breakfast and supper for me), and to have an entire glass of water when I took the pill. It seemed to help somewhat if I stuck to that regime. Good luck. It's not fun when starting on Met. :(

Samm38

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People spitting. People thinking there better than me.
I've tried the slow release it didn't work my levels were still up at between 15 & 18. :)

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm really scared.

Thanks
Sam

Hi Sam. I second what Diabell said. As I have IBS, I asked for the SR from day one. Still, I had very bad diarrhea and stomach cramps for months before my body finally got used to it. For most people, the stomach upset only lasts a few days or a week. I found it very helpful to take my Metformin in the middle of my meals (breakfast and supper for me), and to have an entire glass of water when I took the pill. It seemed to help somewhat if I stuck to that regime. Good luck. It's not fun when starting on Met. :(

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've tried the slow release it didn't work my levels were still up at between 15 & 18. :)
Sam,

Nothing will get your levels down like magic, except insulin. The meds, esp Metformin, will help, but your blood sugars will only come down from you changing what you eat. Drop bread/biscuits/potatoes/starch/rice/pasta and sweet stuff. We've been through this before on your other threads.

It is frightening - but it's not as hard to switch over as you're thinking it is. Try it? Soon?

Reactions: 3 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, Metformin will only reduce your blood sugar by perhaps 1 to 2mmol on average but it helps; diet remains the key

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sam,

When people take insulin and don't change their diet, they put on huge amounts of weight. So even tho insulin will get BG down, it's not cost free. There just ain't no two ways about it. Diabetes is a disorder in which we are carb-intolerant.

I'm sorry the official NHS advice is so bad. But the advice you're getting on here is better.

(PS Insulin doesn't put weight on you if you don't overeat.)

Reactions: 5 people