Problems with infection & ??? medication side effects.

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Hello Folks
I have a couple of questions I'd like help with please.

Q1. Do infections, such as flu & colds etc, tend to last longer if you're diabetic? Can't seem to shift a sinus & respiratory infection despite already having had a 7 day course of antibiotics. I'm newly diagnosed & my BG was in the high 20's then. Though looking back, I'm guessing they were running high for a long time prior to diagnosis. My immune system took a hit & I'm struggling to throw off viruses & bacterial infections that once would have caused me no problem. I've had my present infection for more than 3 weeks, and I'm now experiencing earache. Sinus pain is still present & I have numbness in my cheeks. No fever, but feeling a tad ropey again.

Q2. I am getting physical manifestation of anxiety...but don't feel anxious. It's primarily a faster than normal heartbeat & that churning sensation in your stomach like when you're nervous or afraid. Could this be medication related? I'm taking Metformin 500mg BD & Gliclazide 160mg also BD.

All advice will be gratefully received.

Ali. X

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Just my opinion ....

Q1. Yes

Q2. Yes .... but I suspect that's more the meds kicking in

I'm no doctor but I can relate to that

Mike :)

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Just my opinion ....

Q1. Yes

Q2. Yes .... but I suspect that's more the meds kicking in

I'm no doctor but I can relate to that

Mike :)

Thanks Mike. I'm glad these are fairly normal happenings for others who have Diabetes. I've obviously got a few questions to ask my DN when I have my first appointment next week.

Ali. :D

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Hi Ali

My doctor is ALWAYS concerned if I get a dose of the flu, for as he says, it can compromise your immune system and knock you around. Luckily for me, I have only had one since diagnosis but it wasn't that big a deal given the virus that was going around at the time.

I don't know of anyone who suggests your BS are NOT affected by a flu / cold. That said, a REALLY good diet must surely help to some degree to fight it off ........ Again, just my opinion.

You should have a long list ready :)

Mike

Reactions: 2 people