Needing more surgery

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, I had good and bad news at the hospital today. I need more major surgery, but at least this time it's not an emergency life-threatening situation like last time, so it will be in a few months. Firstly they need to consult with a different dept to temporarily stop the Humira drug that that they thought had caused this latest problem, but although it didn't cause it, and I don't need to come off it forever (good, because that would have caused some serious problems as there's no replacement i could take!) I still need to stop it for a while cos it's an immuno suppressant and I need to get some immune system function back to help me over the surgery. But they've got to time it just right so that my immune sytem doesn't have time to get up to its normal trick of trying to kill me!
That's all quite good news because, although no-one wants major surgery, things got really bad towards the end of last summer and I don't want to have to go through that again! And it's sent my BG levels sjy high since it started and it's been a real struggle getting it down again.

But the bad news, - I had my colon out 3.5 years ago because of what I thought was Ulcerative Colitis, but they weren't 100% sure of the diagnoses at the time, couldn't tell whether it was UC or Crohns Disease so I became one of the 10% of awkward cases (trust me eh?) that is classed as Inderterminate Colitis. But they're now saying my histology is showing more signs of it being Crohns Disease. Which means far more scope for more problems in the future. And more inflammation affecting BG levels :(

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You seem to be coping well with the bad news/ good news (ish).

Hope everything works out for you this time. Crohns is not very nice, but it can be controlled (can't it?) Just like diabetes.

Best wishes mate.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You seem to be coping well with the bad news/ good news (ish).

Hope everything works out for you this time. Crohns is not very nice, but it can be controlled (can't it?) Just like diabetes.

Best wishes mate.

Control depends on the severity, but you can't control it yourself like you can with diabetes, there's really no comparison between the two. It often means multiple surgeries, this will be my 2nd in the 4 years I've had it. It is often totally disabling with severe pain and illness and can be fatal, I was close to death before my first surgery. Raises BG levels too. Given a choice I'd definitely choose diabetes! Really sucks when you have both :(

Reactions: 4 people

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Control depends on the severity, but you can't control it yourself like you can with diabetes, there's really no comparison between the two. It often means multiple surgeries, this will be my 2nd in the 4 years I've had it. It is often totally disabling with severe pain and illness and can be fatal, I was close to death before my first surgery. Raises BG levels too. Given a choice I'd definitely choose diabetes! Really sucks when you have both :(
Sorry to hear this @rowan - just read it. Do hope you're not suffering too much. My 6 yr old is being investigated for Crohns :-( When's your surgery?

K

Kat100

Hi @rowan , sorry to hear this , you are having a bit of a bad time to say the least ...
Take each day as it comes ....the good thing is it sounds like they know what the problem is now ...you don't need these extra problems...
You look after yourself and your dear doggie xxx

Let us know how you are though ...
Just get as well as you can ;)

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your composure is a lesson to us all. Maybe you're paddling madly below the water line but it doesn't show. Keep us up to date with your progress.

Reactions: 2 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks all, worrying doesn't help, stress makes it worse, and I've become resigned to bad health and problems over the last 10 years, I've spent so long in hospital it's like my second home now! My motto has become:
"Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference."
;)

Reactions: 4 people