Very frightened please help!

bunnnny

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
So last month I experienced stomach pains and had a CBC blood test done. I was not asked to fast and had eaten a heaping plate of pancakes and maple syrup to the point of being very stuffed and immediately left for a blood test. Results came back and glucose was 184 (in December it was 84 non fasting). My doctor pulled my A1C which was 5.4. I'm very frightened because although they said my 5.4 was normal everything I google says even non-fasting glucose should not be so high for a non-diabetic. My doctor didn't seem concerned at all and didn't even schedule a follow up or anything.

I am 26 years old, female, 110 lbs, fairly active, I eat lots of healthy foods but I also love my junk food and coffee on occasion. Grandmother (my dads mom) had type 2 but she was very overweight ...no other family history of diabetes we are all relatively thin.

Basically I am scared and feel that my doctor should be more concerned that my blood sugar was 184. Is this normal for a non-diabetic right after a sugary meal? Is 5.4 A1C high? Can't seem to stop researching all of this because I'm not finding any answers that help. I know diabetes is controllable but on the other hand I have bad health anxiety and worry about this incessantly for a month. Thank you

bunnnny

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Would you let us know the units of measurement that relate to the figures you've quoted?

If your HbA1c is 5.4% then I wouldn't be worried - I'd love to be at that level!

Have a look around the website this forum is attached to - especially the HbA1c area - that should reassure you.

I apologize, forgot we use different systems of measurement. Blood glucose was 184 mg,I am not sure how to convert that! I weigh 110 lbs which converts to 7 stones 12.00 lbs if that makes sense!! And height 1.62 meters? Never realized how difficult this was!

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
According to a book I'm reading (by Jenny Ruhl) to convert mg dl to mmol you divide the mg dl by 18 which would convert the reading to 10.2 mmol or thereabouts. Beyond that I'm afraid I can't help you bunnnny as I'm very new to this myself I'm sorry. I'm sure a more experienced member will be along soon.

bunnnny

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
According to a book I'm reading (by Jenny Ruhl) to convert mg dl to mmol you divide the mg dl by 18 which would convert the reading to 10.2 mmol or thereabouts. Beyond that I'm afraid I can't help you bunnnny as I'm very new to this myself I'm sorry. I'm sure a more experienced member will be along soon.
That sounds right as I came across a conversion site and saw 10.2 as well but wasn't positivr it was the correct conversion! Thanks :)

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I can't help other than to say this is where you will get answers.
Welcome and stick around.
I'm off back to bed goodnight.

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No worries bunnnny :)

As nomistheman has stated your HBA1C is a good level so I wouldn't hit panic stations just yet. A one off, non-fasting reading doesn't tell you a huge amount but if you are very concerned you should get back in touch with your doctor and request some follow up tests.

Let us know how you go.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Something pretty weird about this ...... suggest you get that checked again just to be sure.

I say that as i can't understand how you could jump from 84 to 184 in just 3 months Not saying it hasn't happened before but I've not heard of it. That is 4.6 mmol to 10.2.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So last month I experienced stomach pains and had a CBC blood test done. I was not asked to fast and had eaten a heaping plate of pancakes and maple syrup to the point of being very stuffed and immediately left for a blood test. Results came back and glucose was 184 (in December it was 84 non fasting). My doctor pulled my A1C which was 5.4. I'm very frightened because although they said my 5.4 was normal everything I google says even non-fasting glucose should not be so high for a non-diabetic. My doctor didn't seem concerned at all and didn't even schedule a follow up or anything.

I am 26 years old, female, 110 lbs, fairly active, I eat lots of healthy foods but I also love my junk food and coffee on occasion. Grandmother (my dads mom) had type 2 but she was very overweight ...no other family history of diabetes we are all relatively thin.

Basically I am scared and feel that my doctor should be more concerned that my blood sugar was 184. Is this normal for a non-diabetic right after a sugary meal? Is 5.4 A1C high? Can't seem to stop researching all of this because I'm not finding any answers that help. I know diabetes is controllable but on the other hand I have bad health anxiety and worry about this incessantly for a month. Thank you
no sense me saying don't worry..but don't worry :)
your blood glucose level can do that as a one off for lots of reasons..for peace of mind buy a 'cheap strip' blood glucose meter from walmart [relyon ?]