Newly diagnosed

Michaelt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and newly diagnosed last nov 14. My fasting glucose was 7.3 and OGTT was 11.4. Am I considered borderline diabetic or prediatic? Is there any chances to cure my diabetes? I am still in denial and feeling depress everyday.
I will get upset when my blood sugar goes up to 8.6. But mostly it's between 5 to 6 after 2 hours meal.
I crave for sweet stuff and carbs and feel upset that I can't have them now.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
From a website search ....

A fasting blood sugar level from 100 to 125 mg/dL (5.6 to 6.9 mmol/L) is considered prediabetes. If it's 126 mg/dL (7 mmol/L) or higher on two separate tests, you have diabetes.

The 8.6 reading suggests you are. The figures post meal are great especially if you're still eating the "sweet stuff"

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
You are officially a type 2 diabetic according to your numbers.

Michaelt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am I considered borderline type2?

I am still not very sure on what to eat and what carbs to avoid to prevent spikes in the blood sugar.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
No, you are just diabetic. Cut out sugar, rice, things made of grains, and starchy veg to keep your blood sugar from spiking after meals.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
IMO, no .... you are not borderline.

As we say to all new members, give us the details of your daily diet to kick off proceedings

I've tagged @daisy1 who'll provide you a rundown info sheet in the next 24 hrs

Reactions: 2 people

Michaelt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have cut out carbs and sugar for lunch and dinner except breakfast I eat bread. But my doctor says I need carbs and told me to eat rice, noodles etc.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
You don't need carbs. Or at least not much. I am at less than 50 g a day (just from fresh veg/berries) and many type 2s on here eat even less. I run 20 - 30 km a week (including a 10k on Sunday mornings) and lift weights several times a week. I actually have more stamina than when I ate more carbs. I never have very low blood glucose levels while I've been eating low carb, or very high blood glucose levels either.

Your cravings for sugar and carbs will go away after a while without them. They are addictive!! Cold turkey works for most people, although the first few days are rough.

This web site gives a good explanation of a healthy low carb way of eating for life: http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

This explains the science behind it: http://www.dietdoctor.com/science

I found this site the best one for me to get my head around type 2 diabetes: http://www.phlaunt.com/

And of course take a look around the threads on this forum and ask lots of questions here. Lots of people have gotten control of their blood glucose levels by eating low carb (see my signature below for a good example).

Unfortunately a low carb diet goes against the official medical guidelines. Probably because there's not much money in it for the health care industry if you reverse your diabetes through diet alone and stay off their drugs. That's really the only reason I can think of why they tell us to eat lots of carbs.

Reactions: 4 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
That's a bit vague Michael. The meal content if you could. Most people would tell you that your doctor's advice goes against current accepted practice.

You can throw the dice and try the rice and noodles and see what it does to your blood sugar levels, but I sure as heck wouldn't. They shoot up my levels astronomically. Some (very few) might get away with it. MANY MANY would not.

Reactions: 4 people

Michaelt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks nocrb4me and mike.

The doctor told me to try to eat the carbs eg. just half bowl of rice and test the blood sugar. He says different people will have different results when they eat carbs. He told me what I have eaten is too little. A friend of mine told me the same thing too, that we need some carbs. She is also a diabetic. She eats rice or noodles for lunch and dinner.

I have vegetables and fish or chicken for lunch. And same things for dinner and fruit. Is this ok?

What do both of you usually eat? Do you have snacks too?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Wonder what is in that breakfast and what fruits ??? Please don't say bananas :)

Breakfast - Bacon, scrambled eggs and spinach .... ALWAYS ..... never change it 'cept for the manner in which the eggs are cooked

Lunch - Lamb chops or full beef sausages or avocados or tuna with lots of salad ... my meal to vary

Dinner - Lean chicken or lean meat with cheese / zucchini / mushrooms / onions and butter

Snacks? Nope ...... not really. Maybe some nuts, perhaps some cheese, some berries or full fat yoghurt

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
A friend of mine told me the same thing too, that we need some carbs. She is also a diabetic. She eats rice or noodles for lunch and dinner.

... and what are her numbers? Also depends on what you define as a daily carb intake. You'll find out soon enough about a low carb hi fat diet (LCHF) and though I'm not pushing you in that direction, a hi carb diet eating rice, noodles, pasta, wheat, breads, below ground veg (potatoes etc) is not the path I would take.

Ask more questions as nocrbs4me and I are just two opinions amongst many.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I eat eggs, sausage, bacon, lots of fresh nonstarchy veg, beef, poultry, cheese, nuts, butter, full fat yoghurt, berries, liver pate, and coffee with 35% fat cream. That's pretty much it.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I don't need carbs. I don't think I have much different biology than most people. Just because people say we need to eat carbs doesn't make it true.

Michaelt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Mike, my breakfast is just one slice of whole meal bread. No i don't take bananas after I found out it has high sugar in it. I usually eat blue berries or apples.

Seems like your lunch is alot more variety than mine. Mine is just vegetables and some fish or chicken meat. That's all.

My snacks will be some nuts. Tried plain yoghurt but the taste is horrible.

Her numbers are within the 2 hour range.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: 7 people

Michaelt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nocrbs4me you eat quite a variety of foods too. I have not tried cheese, bacon, sausage, butter,milk or coffee yet. Because I am worried of the carbs.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Nocrbs4me you eat quite a variety of foods too. I have not tried cheese, bacon, sausage, butter,milk or coffee yet. Because I am worried of the carbs.
There are no carbs in those, except milk. I don't drink milk. Sausages here in Canada don't have carbs.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm loving my low carb diet and have been surprised by how easy I have found it to make the switch. After 6 weeks I'm still waiting for the cravings to kick in but hasn't happened so far. It has been interesting finding new recipes to cook and enjoyable to spend time in the kitchen doing proper cooking, rather than having a toasted sandwich and crisps for dinner! I'm finding inspiration from Paleo diet recipes, though have included full fat diary too. Have lost 8kg in this time. Eggs are great for breakfast in any form - with smoked salmon / bacon / as an omelette with walnuts & blue cheese. Or Alpro coconut 'yoghurt' with a handful of berries and some chopped nuts. Did make a Paleo ginger cake which must have been the most expensive cake to make EVER and tasted like loft insulation with the texture of breeze block but have discovered that a slice fried in butter with a few berries and double cream also makes a delicious breakfast! There are lots of alternatives to eating carbs, it just takes a bit more time and effort until you build up a repertoire of recipes. Don't be afraid to experiment!

Reactions: 5 people

Michaelt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone, I am still trying very hard to stop the crave for carbs and sweet stuff. It is
Quite upset when you can't eat them anymore.