Last edited by a moderator:

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
I have a cup every day, with butter and coconut oil, been doing so for nearly 6 months now.

Reactions: 4 people

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
what coffee and butter do you use as I have tesco decaffeinated coffee, kerrygold butter and coconut oil spray

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Cream is still the easy answer.

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Decaf ground filter coffee, kerrygold or organic butter and 100% pure coconut oil, well whisked. I top it with double cream.

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
And if you have a branch of Crusshh nearby, they make "BRain Coffee" which is BPC, made with Butter and MCT Oil, but it costs £4.25 a cup. Ouch... o_O

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love coffee, I love butter and I love coconut but I just can't imagine mixing them all together and drinking it! (I drink my coffee black)

Each to their own, I guess :)

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sometimes reading the DM can be very painful o_O

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Cream is still the easy answer.
That's a good point, and it leads to a question that I've often wondered about. From a nutritional standpoint, is there any significant difference between cream and unsalted butter?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Cream:

Typical Values 100ml contains
Energy 1921kJ (467kcal)
Protein 1.5g
Carbohydrate 1.6g
Sugars 1.6g
Fat 50.5g
Saturates 31.4g
Fibre 0g
Salt 0.1g

Unsalted Butter:

Typical Values 100g contains
Energy 3070kJ (747kcal)
Fat 82.2g
Saturates 52.1g
Carbohydrate 1.1g
Sugars 0.6g
Fibre 0g
Protein 0.6g
Salt 0.1g

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Tim. So in terms of fat profile they're probably much the same except for the lower moisture content in butter making it about 60% more concentrated.

Also little bit more of both protein and carb in cream, but they're both so small it's probably not of much consequence.

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Coconut oil..... I use 100% pure coconut oil in coffee. It has no taste or smell of coconut. Around £2.50 for a large 500ml jar at Larger Tesco and Sainsburys, also on eBay.
Virgin coconut oil does smell and taste of coconuts. It is also much more expensive.
An article here comparing coconut oil with MCT oil http://healthimpactnews.com/2014/mct-oil-vs-coconut-oil-the-truth-exposed/

Simon84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Ian DP if your coconut oil doesn't taste or smell of coconuts then it's been refined and is less good for you than the more expensive organic virgin coconut oil - which is only cold pressed from organically grown coconuts.

I love coconut oil and use it extensively in my cooking - it's very healthy especially the lauric acid which has many benefits.

I've seen the article you reference before and it's accurate.

Bulletproof Coffee was originally designed by Dave Asprey using MCT oil as that allows you to fully utilise the mechanism of the liver processing the MCTs - this feature would be reduced (less effective) using coconut oil.

I've tried both and found that with coconut oil instead of MCT oil I can't last past 11am but, with MCT oil instead of coconut oil I can easily reach 3pm before feeling I need to eat anything.

I want to try with the upgraded brain fuel - C08 Medium Chains but, can't justify that expense. ;)

is there a coconut oil brand youd recomend as ive brought some called ktc and it doesnt taste or smell of coconut at all

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
is there a coconut oil brand youd recomend as ive brought some called ktc and it doesnt taste or smell of coconut at all
I prefer Lucy Bee's which is extra virgin raw organic coconut oil, but it's expensive compared to KTC. I get it from Sainsbury's

Simon84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thnx nomistheman and robert ill have look out for those :)

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I emailed KTC ans asked if it's safe for internal use.
The reply said yes but no other information.
If you Google around you'll find many people have done the same .... it's cheap and suspicious and mine ended up in the bathroom as nit treatment for the grandchildrens visits and for my dry skin.
Tescos virgin is twice the price but a hell of a different product the moment you open it.