Newly diagnosed

Evelyn1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,

I am newly diagnosed as type 2 last sept. My fasting glucose was 7.2. OGTT was 11.4 after 2 hours. But the hba1c I did in sept was 6.2%. Am I considered prediabetic? Any chances that the diabetes can be cured? After I was diagnosed, I was having depression and was in denial for a few months. I don't know whether anyone of you feel this way. I feel so upset that I can't eat sweet things and carbs which I used to love anymore. Even until now I am still upset sometimes. I started using the glucose meter in jan 15. I have been eating only vegetables, fish and chicken and fruits but sometimes my blood sugar will spike from 4.7 to 7.2 if I eat some cookies with the dinner.
I have stop eating carbs and sweet things but my dietician and doctor says that I must eat carbs because I am eating too little. Sometimes I also feel giddy and headaches too.
Sometimes I feel like giving up and stop all the testing and food restrictions etc..
I am confused about what to eat too.

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Evelyn1, don't despair, someone will be along shortly to give you some good advice, you have come to the right place for help.

I was only diagnosed T2 a month ago and know how you feel, but I found this forum straight away and am almost up to speed with everything, It sounds like you need to add more fat into your diet but my being so new have still yet to refine my own diet which takes some time.

I miss cookies too, but hey once you start to really control your diet you'll be over your carb cravings and the desire just wont be as potent.

I will say the LCHF diet is helping me and once you grasp it, it might forward you the same kind of control it does for most of us.

Chin up.

Evelyn1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Daks,

It's been 5 months and the crave is still there. Depression too. Many times I feel like giving up.

Reactions: 2 people

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
These days to pass the diabetic entrance test you need either two fasting blood glucose tests of 7.0 mmol/l readings or above in close succession, sometimes together with an OGTT in excess of 10.0 mmol/L or even diagnosed on just the HbAIc reading alone where it is in excess of 6.5% though more commonly 7.0% is used.
Many people on this site use the LCHF diet which has a number of benefits in controlling bloo/glucose on a daily level, and yes, you are right, the human body does indeed need some carbohydrate intake as insufficient can indeed give rise to the symptoms of light headedness and giddiness.
The occasional treat of something that you like which breaks the normal rules is something that we all will do from time to time, but it's just that, an occasional treat.
Your mention of the reading rising from 4.7 mmol/L to 7.2 mmol/L are not excessive. something to be aware of, but not unduely worry over.

Reactions: 3 people

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think maybe what's happened to you is, you have followed advice from the NHS pertaining to starchy carbohydrates which has pretty much just exacerbated your carbohydrate cravings, this in turn has made you feel low. You will see after spending some time here there are ways of controlling hunger which in turn will help you break from the potent pull of carbs, it really is a conundrum that some people get stuck in.

Others more qualified will help you shortly <3

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi Evelyn, welcome :)

It can take time for the body to get used to low carbing, but it will come. Are you eating enough fats to replace the calories you once got from carbs?

Numbers like 4.7 before eating is fine, even 7.2 afterwards is within NICE guidelines.

Have a read around, you might find the first link in my sig below useful. Stay with it and ask any questions.

Evelyn1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Sanguine, thanks

I am not sure if I have eaten enough fats. Because most of the times, I am in denial and upset over this illness which cause me having no interest in doing anything.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Evelyn1

Hello Evelyn and welcome to the forum :)

The diet restrictions are hard but they are better for you to avoid future complications, and you will get used to them in time. Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask all the questions you need to and someone will come along and help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 130,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Sanguine, thanks

I am not sure if I have eaten enough fats. Because most of the times, I am in denial and upset over this illness which cause me having no interest in doing anything.

Here you will find the knowledge base that allows you to take control, once you have control, diabetes will become secondary in your life and not the main focus, everyone here will have felt as you do at some point, so you're among people that understand.

Stay with the forum, lets see if we can help to get you in control and feeling better.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi Sanguine, thanks

You'll be amazed how much better and empowered you feel once you are getting your BG under control. There's a whole range of other foods out there which taste so much better and are more satisfying than carbs ever were. I used to live on bread, now I very rarely miss it.

I regard diabetes as a condition, not an illness (I'm healthier than I have been in decades). I have fond memories of when I ate carbs and sometimes sugars but that's all it is - I've moved on to a new phase in my life. I'm sure you can too and we'll support you.

Reactions: 6 people

Evelyn1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too. I like rice, noodles, cakes all sorts of carbs. I like anything. I take it more like an illness. I hope I can get over it soon.

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Evelyn

Like you I'm newly diagnosed but whereas you're prediabeteic I'm told that I'm 'classic' type 2. I'm a 46 year old guy of good health although admittedly I now realise my BMI is a rather high.

Like you I found it initially hard to accept and I suppose for the first week or so I was rather in denial about it until I started to read up about it and understand it more. Certainly being on this forum has help me immeasurably as there are so many knowledgable & helpful people on here & I take great comfort in knowing that I am no longer 'alone'.

Also like you - and I guess like everyone else at some point - one wonders if it can be cured. Well, cured is a strong word as it implies a complete return to normality but if you're as 'angry' about it as I am then I'd suggest you have a look at the work done by Professor Roy Taylor at Newcastle University funded by Diabetes UK on reversing and putting into remission Type 2 diabetes for those newly diagnosed within 4 years.

The initial results are exceptional and I have written to my own Doctor together with the information sheets provided by the research team - including an 'Information for Doctors' document, asking my Doctor for his support for me to try the Newcastle Diet

It is only for 8 weeks -- essentially from Christmas till now -- but it is onerous and strict. Being desperate and wanting to try is one thing but make sure you're up for it mentally as it looks like REALLY hard going. The old 80's saying of "no pain go gain" really does seem to apply to this diet.

On a more moderate note, I'm sure that many on here will also recommend you go onto a Low Carb High Fat diet which seems contrary to HNS guidelines. Again, once you look into it you may see as I did the sound medical reasons why this diet may be better for you. It certainly offers a lot more scope & variety than the Newcastle diet.

When all said and done you need to check things through with your Doctor but also make your own decisions as an adult.

I have accepted that I am Type 2 and will do all that I can to rectify & resolve my condition to enable me to carry on as normal a life as possible. Yes, I know its going to be difficult, will involve lifestyle changes and a change of outlook but if thats the way it is so be it.

ASk questions of others on here - as I've found, you'll always get lots of replies from people in the same boat (and a lot further downstream) who have all been where you are now, either medically or emotionally, and where everyone wants to help one another. I can't thank people enough on here.

Lastly, before this post turns into 'War & Peace' I offer you a quote from Sir Steve Redgrave, Olympic Cyclist and also a diabetic : " I don't live with diabetes, diabetes lives with me" --- an excellent quote supporting that diabetes doesn't define who you are, its just a certain part of you

I wish you well Evelyn ....... and do dive into this forum - like me, I hope you get all the support you need from the nice folk on here

Reactions: 7 people

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too. I like rice, noodles, cakes all sorts of carbs. I like anything. I take it more like an illness. I hope I can get over it soon.

You aint the only one, what id give for a pint of milk and a WHOLE 4 pack of blueberry muffins followed by a big old bar of choc lol.

I don't know how it is for others but when I first started low carbing I struggled for 2 weeks cravings were so hard, had headaches, dizzyness and was so low i spent the 2nd weekend in bed upset and de-motivated, then in the 3rd week I started to bounce back, week 4 of LCHF and i feel like Rocky Balboa. And honestly I still crave carbs but not nearly as much as I did. It might take a little longer for you, but I promise the cravings will ease.

Evelyn1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi moonchip,

I am type 2 as well and healthy. But bmi alittle high. Thanks for the support. I like the quote!

Evelyn1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too, I was in bed for sometime as I feel weak, demotivated and depressed. Only in jan 15, I decided to get a glucose meter to do the testing. But I still feel depress sometimes.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Hello and welcome Evelyn,There is not much more I can add,but stick with us there is lots of help on the forum.