How late do you eat

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Never before 7pm, most often 7-30pm. And that is it, only water or wine after that. I don't snack (never have done) and don't nibble or have supper. Next food is breakfast about 9am.

Hi Bluetit,
What do you think of your last batch of Codefree strips?
I need to order some more strips, not sure if to stick with Codfree or try a different meter altogether.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Bluetit,
What do you think of your last batch of Codefree strips?
I need to order some more strips, not sure if to stick with Codfree or try a different meter altogether.

Absolutely fine. No problems. I have batch ending 61. They are reading as I expect.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Last meal finished by 17.00 hrs, then nothing till about 0.500 am next day. I have found that drinking black unsweetened decaff coffee snuffs out any hunger for food. Seems a bit strange, but it works for me.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can I ask why some of you eat so early? It leaves an awful long time between dinner and breakfast, 14 hours in some cases, don't your BG levels go really low. Or in my case it would be really high with liver dumps!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I just eat early as its what I was brought up with.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I ask why some of you eat so early? It leaves an awful long time between dinner and breakfast, 14 hours in some cases, don't your BG levels go really low. Or in my case it would be really high with liver dumps!

I eat later - 7pm start most days, but don't have breakfast till 9. That's 14 hours. My liver keeps my BG where it wants it, usually about 5.6. I have never really experienced much of a liver dump, just half a mmol/l sometimes.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat later - 7pm start most days, but don't have breakfast till 9. That's 14 hours. My liver keeps my BG where it wants it, usually about 5.6. I have never really experienced much of a liver dump, just half a mmol/l sometimes.

You're so lucky! Do we know why some people are affected and some not?

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I only eat one meal per day with my wife, and thats lunch. The others I do at my preferred times ie very early in the morning, around 5 am and a small meal at around 16.30-17.00. This gives me a good 12 hour fasting period each day.

Liver dumps are a result of faulty hormone signalling and fortunately I dont have them. IE diabetes is very complicated and multifaceted sickness.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Liver dumps are a result of faulty hormone signalling and fortunately I dont have them. IE diabetes is very complicated and multifaceted sickness.

That sounds like liver dumps can't be stopped then? Bad start to every day and then you spend the rest of the day trying to get BG down :(

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
That sounds like liver dumps can't be stopped then? Bad start to every day and then you spend the rest of the day trying to get BG down :(

I understood that Metformin helps regulate liver dumps and that the timing and composition of your last meal of the day could also be factors that need looking at.
I dont use any medications for BG control, but hopefully others that do will make some comments and share their experiences.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I understood it is weight loss and improved insulin resistance that reduces liver dumps. Plus what @Pasha said

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I understood that Metformin helps regulate liver dumps and that the timing and composition of your last meal of the day could also be factors that need looking at.
I dont use any medications for BG control, but hopefully others that do will make some comments and share their experiences.

I'm on 2000g metformin a day. I've tried taking 2 twice daily and tried splitting them, doesn't seem to make any difference.
I've tried low carbs for evening meal, and very low carbs. And eatenn at different times. No difference.
I've tried having a no-carb bedtime snack, low carb bedtime snack, and no snack, makes no difference.
I've tried eating something at the crack of dawn before BG raises, and tried taking metformin at the same time, or not. Nothing seems to make a difference. It's so very frustrating!

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I understood it is weight loss and improved insulin resistance that reduces liver dumps. Plus what @Pasha said

Does improved insulin resistance come with the weight loss? Because that's plateaud again. I've lost nearly a stone since October, but less than half of that has been since I started low carbing. I've still got another 2 stone to lose.

K

Kat100

Hello,
Breakfast between 7.30 and 8 am ...alpen no added sugar , but often make up my own mix the night before ....

Lunch ... About 1pm ....or a bit before ...

Evening meal ....6.30 ....if it has a desert ...or I have berries or a snack as part two , then about 9pm ...or a small Apple and cheese ....

I drink water ....never wine ....
Champagne on special occasions ......

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you ever tried something high fat for your last meal ?

The Metformin is supposed to improve insulin sensitivity,

http://www.diabeticlivingonline.com/medication/oral/metformin-improving-insulin-sensitivity

Maybe your dosage or medications need altering, but this is way out of my depth, can only suggest a visit to your doctor.

By the way how many carbohydrates do you eat per day ?

I'm on less than 50g carbs a day, and have increased fat. I think think that might be stopping some weight loss, but I'm frightened to increase it any more! I eat eggs, bacon, cheese, butter, ev olive oil, double cream, mackerel, salmon. I eat very little meat, but if I do it has to be really lean, can't stand fatty meat or chicken skin and even the bacon has all the fat cut off. But it's a fatty meat anyway. No spuds, bread, rice, pasta, flour etc.

I've got my next A1C in 2-3 weeks and I'm going to ask to be referred to hospital diabetes dept. I've only ever seen nurses in my GP surgery, and occasionally a doctor when BGs have started to rise and my current nurse has already said she doesn't understand liver dumps!

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm on less than 50g carbs a day, and have increased fat. I think think that might be stopping some weight loss, but I'm frightened to increase it any more! I eat eggs, bacon, cheese, butter, ev olive oil, double cream, mackerel, salmon. I eat very little meat, but if I do it has to be really lean, can't stand fatty meat or chicken skin and even the bacon has all the fat cut off. But it's a fatty meat anyway. No spuds, bread, rice, pasta, flour etc.

I've got my next A1C in 2-3 weeks and I'm going to ask to be referred to hospital diabetes dept. I've only ever seen nurses in my GP surgery, and occasionally a doctor when BGs have started to rise and my current nurse has already said she doesn't understand liver dumps!

FYI I go down to 20 grams of carbohydrates/day. I lost 88 lbs doing this. Just for your own information you could try doing this for a short time and see what the results are. Whatever they are they should be good information for your next medical visit.

Reactions: 3 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@rowan My question would be, are you eating too much fat? Dairy food is very calorific, and if your calorie intake exceeds what you burn off in energy, you won't lose weight. You have to get the calorie balance right between carbs/fats/protein and this isn't always easy.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@rowan My question would be, are you eating too much fat? Dairy food is very calorific, and if your calorie intake exceeds what you burn off in energy, you won't lose weight. You have to get the calorie balance right between carbs/fats/protein and this isn't always easy.

In my shopping delivered today I've changed the double cream for single cream and over the last few days have replaced a few lumps of cheese for tinned red salmon, will give that a week and reduce more if I need to.
I'm not as concerned about my weight as I am about BG, my weight is the lowest now than it's been for years, but I still need to lose some.

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Rather then to much fat, I would think lowering the carbs would help much more to help you stall. Try a month with 20-25 grams of carbs per day, to not be hungry you might need to up the fats.