2 year old possible type 1?

monkeymum

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks for your replies. We went to GP on Thursday (she seemed much more chirpy) and the nurse! (Despite me requesting our regular GP) dismissed all her symptoms and put them down to having been ill previously or possibly having a UTI. I am not great at confrontation so agreed to do a urine sample and send that off. I asked a number of times about diabetes and she basically said oh that's rare, its not that, she would be very poorly if it was.
So I left, mad and worried. I couldn't see a GP, was I entitled to a second opinion, did I dare ask?
Everyone around me reassuring me she was ok and probably down to constipation.
After all, she looked much better.
She has not got any worse since, she is still very constipated (8days) despite giving lactulose and has now been leaking watery something all day.
I called 111 today and have an appointment in a few hours.
Husband with me this time so I will insist they do something.
What should I request they do? Or test? And what if they don't?
Please don't judge me for not taking her sooner, I guess you feel like you should trust the health 'professional' but I need to also trust my instincts which is why she's going today and not waiting for urine results.
I've been so busy and stressed with having a small poorly baby too so apologies for the delay in reply

Reactions: 2 people

monkeymum

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sorry for the long post, I'm not great at explaining things, especially when I'm rushing

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm glad to hear she isn't worse and that's a good thing..I think you and your husband are doing the right thing, you need an answer to what is going on with your daughters health, it is dragging on too long

petoria

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope you get the answers to need soon. I had to push and ask for it to put my mind at ease, as I had other autoimmune issues.
If you have any autoimmune disorders in the family mention them but it sounds as though they'll be taking you more seriously today.
Best of luck for a healthy outcome.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thanks for your replies. We went to GP on Thursday (she seemed much more chirpy) and the nurse! (Despite me requesting our regular GP) dismissed all her symptoms and put them down to having been ill previously or possibly having a UTI. I am not great at confrontation so agreed to do a urine sample and send that off. I asked a number of times about diabetes and she basically said oh that's rare, its not that, she would be very poorly if it was.
So I left, mad and worried. I couldn't see a GP, was I entitled to a second opinion, did I dare ask?
Everyone around me reassuring me she was ok and probably down to constipation.
After all, she looked much better.
She has not got any worse since, she is still very constipated (8days) despite giving lactulose and has now been leaking watery something all day.
I called 111 today and have an appointment in a few hours.
Husband with me this time so I will insist they do something.
What should I request they do? Or test? And what if they don't?
Please don't judge me for not taking her sooner, I guess you feel like you should trust the health 'professional' but I need to also trust my instincts which is why she's going today and not waiting for urine results.
I've been so busy and stressed with having a small poorly baby too so apologies for the delay in reply

Type 1 in a child is not what is called 'rare', but so pleased you are getting the ball rolling. She seems to definitely have something,but what ? and hopefully someone in the medical profession will be able to diagnose it. It could be an infection, it could be a number of things in a young child, have you asked for a stool test to be done ( a sample of her poo functions, I know this must be very difficult because of her being constipated ) could it be associated with the bowels/ stomach area ??

It must be a fraught time for you, I'm sure no one is judging you, as you do have a lot on your plate. Take care and all the best for a result.

ps How's hubby coping with all of this ?

RRB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I just had a thought about Coeliac disease. some of the symptoms you mentioned can be associated with this condition, it's just a thought though. Also an underactive thyroid has some similar symptoms too. It's a case of eliminating certain illnesses or conditions like a possible water infection.
Best of luck

RRB

monkeymum

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks, we are just going now, I will update you. I will also keep in mind the things you mentioned

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I really hope all is ok with your little one. I was worried about my little one as suspected diabetes but it was Xmas so i wasn't sure if an emergency appointment would be the right thing to do, looking back it would of absolutely been the right thing to do but hindsight is a wonderful thing! Instead I bought a glucose kit from boots and tested myself and to my horror there it was high! A and E it was and luckily we caught it. Sooner you act the better if even if your wrong at least you know x