Computer gaming with Retinopathy

40djbrooks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Any of you here avoid playing video games with retinopathy?

I am an avid computer geek who embraces everything with tech, but I do worry that I am doing more damage to my eyes.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Unsure if gaming should be avoided with diabetic retinopathy, but looking at your most recent posts I see you had some laser treatment in January, so if your due for a follow-up appointment ask for the Ophthalmologist advice on this matter.

When my own retinopathy was active I was told to avoid things like theme park rides and any sport that resulted in a sudden movement of the head.

Reactions: 2 people

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If it does it would be good to hear an explanation.............

I don't see how extra light coming in to your eyes would make any bleeding occur or get worse.........

could be wrong though......

Caesar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If it does it would be good to hear an explanation.............

I don't see how extra light coming in to your eyes would make any bleeding occur or get worse.........

could be wrong though......

Light whose wavelength is in the visible spectrum (featuring safe intensity levels) doesn’t cause any harm coming into our eyes, with or without retinopathy. Photoreceptors in the retina actually work in the opposite way we could expect, meaning that the membrane of those cells depolarise in absence of light stimuli (i.e., scotopic conditions = darkness) whilst hyperpolarise in the opposite case (i.e., photopic conditions = light). It’s basically a “switching off” mechanism that activates the photoreceptor in order to transmit photons, absorbed and converted into an electric excitatory signal, to the next neural cell along the pathway to the optic nerve for the image generation of the surrounding world in our brain. Despite such an unusual mechanism reduces the incidence of spontaneous depolarisation in the retinal cells, therefore it reduces the "noise" that would plague our visual images, the metabolic rate of the retina is much higher in scotopic conditions.

Sorry if I was too technical but I’m a bioengineer working in Eye and Vision Science at Liverpool University Hospital and I’ve been type 1 for about 17 years now. Still trying to find a way out, if not from diabetes, at least from the long-term complications that this is going to cause us. An interesting device, based on the theory I’ve briefly explained above, is the Noctura 400 manufactured by PolyPhotonix. The device is a sleep mask that is worn at night and is giving positive results as a non-invasive treatment for diabetic retinopathy. I’m using the mask for prevention purposes as I can’t really think at a life with no sight. More info are available here: http://noctura.com/; or at the open information events that the company periodically runs: http://polyphotonix.com/news/

Btw I'm also a video-games lover but Mr D has changed my philosophy of life: less virtual-games more real-games (i.e., outdoor sport)!

Last edited by a moderator:

pavmas

Play ps4, I have found that playing this reduces nerve pain, I think it may be because you are concentrating on the game and not on the pain,, and we know men cant think of two things at once

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry if I was too technical but I’m a bioengineer working in Eye and Vision Science at Liverpool University Hospital and I’ve been type 1 for about 17 years now.

An interesting device, based on the theory I’ve briefly explained above, is the Noctura 400 manufactured by PolyPhotonix. The device is a sleep mask that is worn at night and is giving positive results as a non-invasive treatment for diabetic retinopathy. I’m using the mask for prevention purposes as I can’t really think at a life with no sight. More info are available here: http://noctura.com/; or at the open information events that the company periodically runs: http://polyphotonix.com/news/(i.e., outdoor sport)!

Thanks for the reply,. was good............and also thanks for the links, I didn't know there was anything like this for retinopathy.....I will be keeping an eye in this.........

40djbrooks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad that my post is helping people here, it was a subject which I was curious about because if using computer screens made my problem worse I would have had to stop

TPhoenix

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
You're completely safe viewing tech screens and such with your condition. I have Diabetic Retinopathy as well and I still view TV and computer screens on a daily basis. The light won't do anything to your eyes that pertains to retinopathy. It's mismanagement of sugar levels that harm your eyes and cause the blood vessels behind the eye to bleed.