Type 1 diabetes. Stopped insulin injection

toor80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with type 1 4 months ago. Hba1c 75 (6.9%), ketones greater than 1.1. I dropped my carb consumption, started exercising a lot and was put on long and short acting insulin. My hba1c 4 days ago was 33 (5.2%). Out of curiosity I decided to stop taking insulin to see how my results would react. I've taken no insulin for 4 days. My blood sugars are fine, rising to 8ish after eating and dropping back down to between 4-5 four hours later. My ketones are normal. Has anyone any experience of stopping insulin injections? Is this a short term thing? Any info is much appreciated

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
No I haven't done what you have done, but I did try a while back a non carb breakfast and my levels shot up, but I have had type 1 for 25 years. Maybe it's the 'honeymoon' period you are in ?

Best wishes RRB

Reactions: 3 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I was diagnosed with type 1 4 months ago. Hba1c 75 (6.9%), ketones greater than 1.1. I dropped my carb consumption, started exercising a lot and was put on long and short acting insulin. My hba1c 4 days ago was 33 (5.2%). Out of curiosity I decided to stop taking insulin to see how my results would react. I've taken no insulin for 4 days. My blood sugars are fine, rising to 8ish after eating and dropping back down to between 4-5 four hours later. My ketones are normal. Has anyone any experience of stopping insulin injections? Is this a short term thing? Any info is much appreciated

I suspect a honeymoon period.

With hba1c so low were you having many hypo's?

toor80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No. 3 reading of less than 3.5 in the 4 months. I had really tight control, maybe 4-5 reading of greater than 8. I'm assuming it is a honeymoon but why wasn't I getting more hypos when injecting 1u for 10 grams of carbs. Should I re-introduce insulin? Long or short acting ?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
No. 3 reading of less than 3.5 in the 4 months. I had really tight control, maybe 4-5 reading of greater than 8. I'm assuming it is a honeymoon but why wasn't I getting more hypos when injecting 1u for 10 grams of carbs. Should I re-introduce insulin? Long or short acting ?

We can't advise on that....because we do not live your life of acivities etc.
the only thing I would suggest is to try phoning your consultant or health team on Monday for their advice.