Self confidence on a pump

LeighThorpe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mushrooms, Tomatoes and feeling helpless
I'm 34 and have been Type 1 for over 20 years, diabetes has been in my family since I can remember, My dad is Type 1 and I've always been told - My diabetes does not run my life, my life runs my diabetes. It's something I feel strongly about and try to make sure my condition doesn't stop me from doing anything I want to.

I'm due to get my pump in April and am looking forward to this next step. My control has been all over the place for the last 4/5 years and hopefully this will help give me back the control and my new husband and I can start to think about babies.

I have a few reservations about the pump, nothing that will stop me from trying it, just some that are starting to effect my confidence. I am very self conscious, and my body image is low. I know my husband loves me however, my greatest fear with the pump is his reaction. Being honest I told him my fear was that he wouldn't want to touch me when I was. He's admitted he's worried about this reaction too.

This has devastated me and though it won't stop me from getting the pump I am interested in finding out how others have handled this sort of situation.

Thanks for any advice!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Understand your reservations, have a chat with your pump DSN and as they are very good at dealing with such issues, as a suggestion why don't you ask your husband to go along with you to one of the pre-pump training appointments.

LeighThorpe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I've done all that, and he is coming with me to the pump sessions.
I'm interested in how people have coped with other people's reactions both positive and negative.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Honest... Pump makes no difference to either me or hubby!! It takes a few weeks though to get used to the changes.

I wear mine on my arm so it never roams in bed or has any impact at all on anything. I detach for baths or showers. I don't wear now't to bed and found it **** annoying roaming around. So wearing on my arm is fantastic for me. I think I am rare though. I have a long tube and the cannula goes in my bum cheek. Honest... It has no impact for anybody that knows me ir doesn't know me.

I do have a remote control (insught pump) so it can stay permanently attached to me. I've done this for 4.5 years.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can understand where you are coming from, my Wife started to have reservations about it in the run up to me going on it. She has since admitted it is not as much of an issue as she thought,

In general wearing from day to day I have not had anyone ask me about it and find it to be non-intrusive, you can hide it away or have it on show. I believe it is easier for the ladies to hide it ;)

ClaireCissie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The night before my go-live date was the first and only time I got freaked out knowing I would soon be attached to the pump all day everyday. I did worry how my boyfriend would react once attached and thought he would be very aware of it but we've both became so used to it so quickly! From a generation where it's normal to have mobile phones under our pillows and iPads by our bedside another gadget roaming around the bed wasn't daunting at all.

My boyfriend has said for him there wasn't a huge build up to seeing the pump and he didn't fully understand it until he saw it on (I laughed because I was researching the pump every single night before bed on Instagram etc.)

A girl I started on the pump with had a go of sleeping with the pump (unattached) in bed and wearing it in her bra before going live. Maybe this could be a good exercise for you if you get the opportunity.

As for other people like friends and family I quite like showing it off and everyone's reaction is less horrified than seeing me inject followed by the ever-asked questions "does that hurt?!" "How many times do you need to do that?" I don't know if it's because it looks less scary to them or if it looks scarier and they don't want to ask but I prefer their reaction to the pump. Also no one needs to see it if you don't want them too! You very quickly become used to it!

Good luck!

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Made no difference to us. I was the one that felt that it needed to be a bit 'protected' in bed, but tbh we don't even think about it now. As far as it being visible day to day, mine's tucked away in a baby sock in my bra or knickers and neither he or anyone else sees it unless I choose to show them. I think it May have been slightly odd/awkward for the first few weeks but both of us soon got used to it, I have to say hubby is great though and these things don't bother him which does help.

Reactions: 2 people

LeighThorpe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I know that I am worrying over nothing, however, hearing that others have done the same is heart-warming.

I am glad to hear that none of you have had any negative reactions, and it helps calm my nerves.

Having your DSN tell you something is one thing, but having someone who's been there and done that say the same thing is totally different. Knowing that I'm not alone, and truly understanding that is a relief.

My Dad and I treat our diabetes differently and I often feel that I can't talk to him about what I'm feeling (he's not the more talkative of gents anyway) so I can get stuck in a downward spiral. So thank you all for taking the time to offer your comments. It means a lot.

Leigh
x

Reactions: 4 people