Fear & anxiety of telling my employer

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all - your comments & thoughts would be really very appreciated

I'm a recently diagnosed T2 on 3x metformin per day and a whole new diet. Everything is basically in control and I'm doing OK I think and staying positive but I'm absolutely terrified of telling my employer.

I work in the rail industry (non driving) - I never work alone but I am classed as 'Safety Critical'. From what I understand T2 alone isn't an issue but if I ever become Insulin-dependant then, quite frankly, I'm screwed. Out of a job.

This is causing me grave concerns and a mental conflict ; One the one hand I've worked hard to get the position I now hold. I love it - it isn't just a job its a career and life which I love so on the one hand I feel that my diabetes is a personal issue which no-one needs to know about. On the other hand, I know that my employer owes me a duty of care and as such should know of any condition I have which 'may' affect my health &/or ability to do my job

I'm just really conflicted whether telling them is the correct thing to do - and of course if my meds ever change then thats it ........... having to look for a new job and all the stress & worry that that entails

Comments and ideas/thoughts would be really appreciated

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello, It is always best to be honest. Try not to think of going down the 'Insulin ' dependant route as hopefully that may never happen.You are just recently diagnosed. Also, you may be able to ditch your tablets in time and just be on diet alone, so it's not all doom and gloom.
For your safety and your work colleagues too plus working in the Rail industry classed at 'safety Critical' the last too words says it all. You do have rights as a diabetic, so just be open and honest and positive about what you can do and not what you think you can't do. Chin up and try to focus on your work and your work record. Good luck moonchip.

Best wishes RRB

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
agree with RRB on the honesty.

there is every chance with good habits food wise ( possibly lowering carb intake ) , and exercise you could indeed get to the point of controlling this by diet alone.

have tagged @catherinecherub as a great example of diet only T2 and great advice for her guidance.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi @moonchip , if you go on a low carb diet (and this will be a lifestyle change) there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to keep your BGs under sufficient control that you don't have to move to more medication. You may even be able to agree with your DN to reduce your metformin. Have a read of Trudi Deakin's book linked below, and the www.dietdoctor.com/lchf.

Don't be influenced by the DN if he/she assumes that as a T2 you will inevitably migrate in time to more meds and end up on insulin. This only happens when you follow the stupid NHS advice to eat carbs with every meal and it's scandalous.

Do you have access to confidential advice at work through an HR or union representative? If you get your BGs under control with diet and metformin it should be no issue at all. If it were me I would be open about it with them, but maybe wait until you have got some data under your belt from using a meter and keeping a food diary so that you can demonstrate you are getting it under control. I would bet that an industry the size of the rail industry has many T2s on its books.

K

Kat100

I think this is a two way process ...

A duty of care from your employer ....and you to yourself , and others ...you already know the answer ...because of your career...

You can't be discriminated against ...

You should receive help and assistance ....talk to whoever ever you need to ....

Let us know how you get on ....best wishes ..Kat ..

Once you have had the talk , I bet you will feel a great relief ...

angelicbaby

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also work in the rail industry and was diagnosed with diabetes last year. I told my employer immediately and asked them to refer me to BUPA (their health partners). I did this as I wanted my condition placed on my records so that in the event of having a "hypo" or diabetes related illness, they would have to make certain allowances for me. You do yourself no favours by hiding your condition, as if anything happened when you were on shift, delays may occur to your treatment while they try to guess what has happened. Ironically, at least three more of my colleagues have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes since me (2 of them have been alerted to their condition by my testing kit, when they have asked me to test them). Trust me. Please empower yourself and let your employer know your condition. They are a large organisation and are governed by Unions and the Disability Act. They have to act properly and cannot discriminate against you.

Reactions: 6 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hello @moonchip

The information Kat100 is referring to is that which I posted for you a very short while ago. If you want to refer to it again, the link is in my signature. I hope it is helpful.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Hello moonchip and welcome to the forum.

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
I think this is a two way process ...

A duty of care from your employer ....and you to yourself , and others ...you already know the answer ...because of your career...

You can't be discriminated against ...

You should receive help and assistance ....talk to whoever ever you need to ....

Let us know how you get on ....best wishes ..Kat ..

Once you have had the talk , I bet you will feel a great relief ...

Time spent with cats is never wasted......... Sigmund Freud

Reactions: 4 people

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Update : I did tell my employer who didn't bat an eyelid

Turns out there are dozens of other T2 diabetics in my workplace, in all grades, and a few T1's

Its a weight off my mind nowing I am now 'legit' ............ in retrospect, I can't understand what I was worried about :D:D

Reactions: 11 people

netdogg2637

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily injections.
I'm type 1 and there already being t2 shouldn't stop if you become t1 then yeah because of insurance they won't help you sorry.