Not happy with code free

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
You can get a little bottle of control solution (often free - mine from Bayer is) from the different meter suppliers, and these will test the accuracy range of your test strips for you. It's maybe worth getting some if you have any doubts about your meter or a batch of test strips.

It's worth remembering though that these control solutions are not standards with known values, they only tell you if your meter is within its operating range, so pretty useless IMO.

Reactions: 3 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks robbity. I experimented again this evening and found more variation in results with a smaller amount of blood. If there's more the readings seem to be more consistent. So I shall try to prick a little deeper and get a good sample to test and see how it goes

But don't get hung up over re-testing every few minutes all the time. Just take your normal pre and post meal readings for say a week and see how they come out. If you see a big jump up or down from the rest of these readings, then may be the time to worry a bit.:wideyed: When I changed meters from my original Aviva Nano to a Bayer Contour there was a difference in the levels of my readings (Contour was higher) , but they tended for the most part to be fairly consistent within the general patterns I was seeing.

If it's really stressing you out, look into getting boxes of 50 strips for your old meter from ebay (there are often bargains to be had) - it will be obviously be a bigger outlay per box, but will actually be a lot cheaper per strip. But if you need to get your strips from chemists, ask about a diabetes VAT free form to sign for them, which will save you 20%.

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It's something to do with other gunge coming out and mixing in with the blood drop, so any readings also take account of this other gunge.

Some people prick then wipe away the first tiny spec then wait for a proper blob to appear. I can't do that as I really struggle to get a blob at all.

Reactions: 2 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
it's like getting blood from a stone for me.....have to use what I can get...

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Warming your hands is supposed to help, and certainly I have more problems if mine are cold - sometimes I could swear that there's no blood at all in my freezing fingers! :(

Robbity

Md.rose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The ISO standard for the accuracy of Blood Glucose Meters is:-
Within ± 0.83 mmol/L of laboratory results at concentrations of under 4.2 mmol/L
Within ± 20% of laboratory results at concentrations of 4.2 mmol/L or more.
So your meters may be within spec.
My new doctor follows the NICE guidelines! So I only get one test strip per week! So I purchased the Codefree as the test strips are a much lower cost compared to other meters.
I have found the Code Free very consistent in results compared to the one touch ultra that I have been using (still do one day a week)
The only issue with the code free is the finger pricier whose spring catch stopped working consistently after 2 months.
The meter itself is very good and works on a smaller blood sample compared to my other meter. So very pleased with the code free