Dry Skin / Rash - Diabetes related?

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Apologies if I've posted in the wrong place but I have something that's been bothering me for a while now . . .

I have a kind of rash on the lower parts of my legs (below the knee). It doesn't really itch but the skin is a bit dry and it looks like lots of red pin pricks. The skin on the upper part of my feet is itchy.

I was diagnosed as a pre diabetic in December last year but I've had this "rash" for a few months now. I know that I should probably book a Drs appointment to get it checked out because it hasn't gone away of it's own accord. I'm just wondering if anyone can put my mind at rest and recommend an over the counter treatment?

I've tried body butter (from The Body Shop) but it doesn't seem to be helping :(

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I get very itchy, mostly top of feet and down legs. Cold wet j cloth helps, I have tried various cream, they dont help. If I am very bad i have an antihistamine tablet.
I asked nurse about it the other week, she said it wasn't anything to do with the diabetes.

Janiept

Expert
Apologies if I've posted in the wrong place but I have something that's been bothering me for a while now . . .

I have a kind of rash on the lower parts of my legs (below the knee). It doesn't really itch but the skin is a bit dry and it looks like lots of red pin pricks. The skin on the upper part of my feet is itchy.

I was diagnosed as a pre diabetic in December last year but I've had this "rash" for a few months now. I know that I should probably book a Drs appointment to get it checked out because it hasn't gone away of it's own accord. I'm just wondering if anyone can put my mind at rest and recommend an over the counter treatment?

I've tried body butter (from The Body Shop) but it doesn't seem to be helping :(
It sounds as if you are describing my skin @tigerlily72 , It's exactly as you describe and the same areas too. I first noticed it a few months ago when I had to start taking a bunch of new medications. I am using E45 cream at the moment which seems to help a bit, but am seeing the nurse on Tuesday about a place on my foot which seems to be developing into something a lot bigger :rolleyes:.
Do you take a cocktail of meds I wonder?

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'll let you in to my secret & this works on loads of skin problems.
To 10mil olive oil, add 7drops of lavender oil & 2 drops of teatree oil.
Apply to affected area.
Pre test on a sensitive area just in case of a reaction, but very doubtful any reaction to it will occur.
I use it all the time on lots of things & it really works well & is alot cheaper than any over the counter stuff that has little if any affect.

Reactions: 2 people

Janiept

Expert
Apply to affected area.
Pre test on a sensitive area just in case of a reaction, but very doubtful any reaction to it will occur.
I use it all the time on lots of things & it really works well & is alot cheaper than any over the counter stuff that has little if any affect.
That's interesting @Paul59. Do you find it clears it up or does it just soothe it? Also is it absorbed into your skin or does it lay on the surface..........i'm thinking of oil on clothes and bedding etc.

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In most cases it will clear it.
Here's something from my experience. Yrs ago I badly scraped my shin about 9inches long which left a nasty scare, I used that mix on it & after using the mix for about 3 months the scare lost all the redness that scares have so no it's no longer noticeable unless you look really hard, the with a scare on my finger which was raised is now flat & hardy noticable.
It does soak in but not straight away but within a short time, cause the more you rub it the less remains on the surface.
I use it on burns & cuts also & they heal alot faster than without using it & it also takes away pain aswell.
I call it Magick, because it turns negatives into positives.
Someone I know used it on her eczema on her legs & she got to a point that she could wear skirts where as before using it she always wore jeans or trousers. Now that's Magick.
Another friend used it on stretch marks & got to a point she could wear a bikini not a swimsuit.
I swear by it.
Oh yes, you can add some baby oil to thin the olive oil so it soaks in quicker, but really you need it to stay on the surface awhile so it does it's healing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Janiept

Expert
Thanks @Paul59 I am definitely going to try this. I have some lavender oil so just need to find some teatree oil.
Guess where i'm going tomorrow.:)

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The scar on my finger use to be raised as I said earlier & goes from the top of finger to just below the nail. As you can see you have to look really hard to see it.

Attachments

• 1423863904532.jpg
    1423863904532.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 468

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It sounds as if you are describing my skin @tigerlily72 , It's exactly as you describe and the same areas too. I first noticed it a few months ago when I had to start taking a bunch of new medications. I am using E45 cream at the moment which seems to help a bit, but am seeing the nurse on Tuesday about a place on my foot which seems to be developing into something a lot bigger :rolleyes:.
Do you take a cocktail of meds I wonder?

Hi and thanks for taking the time to reply :) I think I may get some E45 cream and try that. The only meds I'm on is Citalopram - just been increased from 20mg to 40mg daily. I was taking Mirtazapine for about 3 months from August to October time.

I'm hoping it will fade / clear up by the time the warm weather arrives ;) otherwise I'll be covering up with trousers and maxi dresses :grumpy:

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Apply to affected area.

I think I'll try this as well. I've used essential oils in the bath before and I know Tea Tree and Lavender are very good. Right, off to browse Ebay for best prices :)

Thank you :happy:

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did anyone try the mix? & how did it go if you did?

Aguila

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Wind & rain
I had dry skin from my knees down to the tips of my toes. My DN suggested Oilatum cream which cured the problem, but the dry skin returns if I don't keep putting the cream on at least once a week.

debs g

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
May I just say that 'baby oil' is a mineral oil by-product of the petro-chemical process and I personally would never advise putting it on anyones skin. If you desired to make the olive oil lighter then safflower oil would be very suitable.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
I am a red head and have had dry skin since I got older.
Dry brushing works for me before a shower to get the dry skin off .
After my shower I put on Nivia cream
I got the long handle brush from Body Shop.
If you dont get the dry skin off the cream dosent work very well.
My skin is much better now ,and I do it each day.

Reactions: 2 people

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
Since I found and use eucerin, with 10% urea. My dry skin is tons better.
Before, I had tried lots if different creams and lotions. It's not cheap, but now, I would happily pay twice the amount.