Thought on these numbers please?

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just completed my first week of properly monitoring my BG.
When I was diagnosed in January my fasting BG was 6.5 and my Hba1c was 46.
This week my highest reading was 6.8, one hour after eating, (it was 4.6 at the two hour point.)
Pre eating levels have ranged from 4.2 to 5.7, but mostly in the 5s.
Post eating at one hour have ranged from 4.8 to 6.8, mostly though between high 5s and low to mid 6s.
Post eating at two hours have ranged from 5.2 to 5.8.

Couple of questions!
A. Does this look OK?!
B. Is it, based on this, realistic for me to have a target of keeping all readings under 6.0, which is what I'd like to achieve?

Thanks for your time x

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Those readings are perfectly normal, worthy of any non-diabetic.

Don't be too hard on yourself. An odd spike at 1 hour is fine providing you are back down at about 2 hours. It is really hardcore to keep all numbers under 6. Even non-diabetics don't do this. Good luck if that's what you want to achieve, but don't do it at the expense of depriving yourself of food - remember, this is for life, not a few weeks.

It seems non-diabetics will rise to about 7.8 at an hour, and be back down to 6.6 at 2 hours after a carby meal, with pre-meal levels in the 4's and 5's.

Reactions: 6 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Hedonista cannot agree more with @Bluetit1802 , I started at HbA1c of 46 but was classed diabetic because I had fastings up to 9.3.

I have the numbers down now with a HbA1c of 41 but my numbers are no where near what you have, I would be interested in what you are eating to achieve these? They seem really good.

Keeping under 6 won't be easy over the long term I would not think.

Neil

Reactions: 4 people

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well maybe 6 is too ambitious. I thought I read somewhere that non diabetics generally had levels between 4 and 6 so I thought I may as well start with that as a guide even if I didn't manage it.

I'm following LCHF, and I've upped my exercise - I have four dogs so walk every day but have been trying to walk faster and on more demanding terrain. I was a bread-a-holic so with that, plus my love of pasta, rice and above all potatoes, plus cheesecake and icecream and a three-pieces-of-fruit-an-evening habit, I was going about as wrong as I could. I've got A LOT of weight to lose.

I've only been doing this since the beginning of January though, so I know my amateur zeal will run out, so I'm trying my best to take full advantage of the energy of these early days before it fully hits me that This Is It...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well maybe 6 is too ambitious. I thought I read somewhere that non diabetics generally had levels between 4 and 6 so I thought I may as well start with that as a guide even if I didn't manage it.

I'm following LCHF, and I've upped my exercise - I have four dogs so walk every day but have been trying to walk faster and on more demanding terrain. I was a bread-a-holic so with that, plus my love of pasta, rice and above all potatoes, plus cheesecake and icecream and a three-pieces-of-fruit-an-evening habit, I was going about as wrong as I could. I've got A LOT of weight to lose.

I've only been doing this since the beginning of January though, so I know my amateur zeal will run out, so I'm trying my best to take full advantage of the energy of these early days before it fully hits me that This Is It...

I think the non-diabetic general levels of 4 to 6 refer to morning fasting and pre-meals, not post-meals. In other words, what they run at generally. My husband is definitely not diabetic but I once tested him and he was in double figures after a very carb laden Sunday dinner. He was back to normal an hour later - that is the difference between "them and us".