Distressing side effects such as quick flashes of rage

KautoStar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
H all,

Was diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic 12 months ago and to be honest I haven't had a good day since.

I'm on Metformin and Simvastatin for my diabetes and fluoxetine to help me cope with OCD (but not depression).

I've been suffering from acute fatigue and all the usual symptoms but the most worrying for me is an increase in feelings of rage. It only lasts a matter of seconds and it never happens at home with my wife but in other walks of life I get these occasional feelings and hate it and what it makes me say and do. I've always been very placid and calm so can only attribute it to the medication, especially as when I was only on fluoxetine I never had these issues.

Anyone else ever experienced this please. Thanks in advance.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
High blood sugars can make you an awkward git - had that myself !! For me it was all the time though. (edited:- I was always arguing with the missus over stupid things and never understood why. Since I started injecting insulin and keeping my BS under control I feel positively serene!)

If you are T2 are you checking your BS?? Could be something entirely different of course and I don't know much about your drugs as I'm T1. Is there nothing on the medication leaflets to guide you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I agree with Urbanracer. High blood sugars can make one a little "tetchy"..
Do you have a meter to help gauge the bloods?

Again. I'm another T1. So the meds I can't comment on...

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It could be the meds but.....

It's probably as the others have said it's probably the diabetes and your blood glucose levels.

If you are low carbing and having enough fats, once you get to normal(ish) levels you will see a change and you will become more placid again!

I was always like yourself(!!!,) always hard to anger. But through my symptoms I was really angry and frustrated with everything and everyone. What changed me was getting my blood glucose levels down to the control I have now.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi @KautoStar , welcome :).

How are you managing with your blood sugar control? I'm assuming you don't self-test, but what have your HbA1c numbers been?

C

catherinecherub

It is puzzling as to why this behaviour is selective and does not manifest itself at home. Do feel anxious out of your home environment?
I would discuss this with your G.P. as you may need a change of medication for your OCD.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Statins can cause mood changes
CAROL

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is puzzling as to why this behaviour is selective and does not manifest itself at home. Do feel anxious out of your home environment.

I don't think it's puzzling at all.. There seem to be a lot of free range ejuts out there..! ;)

C

catherinecherub

I don't think it's puzzling at all.. There seem to be a lot of free range ejuts out there..! ;)
Agreed but equally valid is that high blood sugars do not only happen outside the home. If it is high blood sugars causing the problem then the behaviour would be the same regardless of the environment.

Prozac can cause anxiety, hostility and anger in some people.

KautoStar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Many thanks for your replies. Really appreciate it.

A flashpoint yesterday when someone insulted me at a sporting event has brought my concerns to a head. I got back control of myself in time but it was close and has really played on my mind since. Will see GP this week.

Thanks again.

Reactions: 4 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm fairly sure there's been another discussion about this, so it may be worth having a search for it.

But, yes I sometimes have mini temper tantrums since I've had diabetes. They're usually over well before i can get to test my glucose levels though. Often it's just frustration at minor problems I'm having with my hands and I have a good swear and bang a few things around a bit, but sometimes I really yell back at my rather bossy husband a so he gets as good as he gives. :D What upsets me most though is my yelling at my two poor little dogs who haven't actually done anything that should seriously **** me off... Fortunately they don't bear me any grudges! It's behaviour I don't like, but seem to have little control over....

Robbity