Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.2 before dinner
Did not do after dinner
5.7 fasting
Got into 5's but can't stay at these levels of carbs for long
@daddys1 I am having the same problem. I was in 4's and 5's now mostly in 6 and sometimes even 7
The new strips have not even once given a better read that batch 44.
Last night I tested my tea which I have with sweetner and it came at 18ish mmol will give that up for coffee and see what happens

Reactions: 11 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bluetit1802 my portion sizes for protiens are not huge I used to eat a lot more earlier when I was not diabetic. I would say less than half a chicken breast is my meal with salad.

@AndBreathe I am in london I will look into buying this for sure.

If only the doc had done a1c I would have been at peace if this is a real bs increase or is it just the meter or strips or weather as my house is usually quite cold. I have put the strips away from the bathroom and kept them on the ground floor where humidity is lower and we keep heating on almost all the time coz of the little one.

Reactions: 6 people

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
I like that Sainsburys one but wth being a big pot I get stuck in with the spoon and find myself halfway down in no time at all so the 5gs turns out to be abt 15. Apple crumble for breakfast with squirty cream like today is even worse. Needed eating up ;) and I am going to be walking two of the dogs...

It's quite a learning curve for a newly diagnosed type 2 but I'm determined to graduate - albeit slowly. Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: 8 people

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Last night bed time 6.5
Morning pre breakfast 7.8
Two hours later 7.2
I only had a short walk with the dog as it was wet and windy out, our poor old dog does not like the rain.

I think I need to try harder with my portion control. :-(

Reactions: 18 people

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
4.5 after a very disturbed night, all my own fault had a chippy dinner think I went a little,overboard with the chips, had about a dozen and it overloaded my system during the night repeated trips to the loo. Enough said about that.

But today's another day, football, rugby not playing just watching.

Have a good Sunday everyone.

s_k_s

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
4.1. Surprising as was 5.6 post dinner so I was expecting a low 5.

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
4.5 after a very disturbed night, all my own fault had a chippy dinner think I went a little,overboard with the chips, had about a dozen and it overloaded my system during the night repeated trips to the loo. Enough said about that.

Rugby 6 Nations, yes I will be watching that.

Reactions: 9 people

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just checked again and Jordan's Granola (at least the one I ate) does have palm oil in it. I'll think about throwing it all out (but I'm Scottish and that doesn't come easily !) so I'll try a sprinkle next time and see what that does.

Feed it to the birds,

Reactions: 14 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.

Are you not happy with 4.5 John?

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bluetit1802 my portion sizes for protiens are not huge I used to eat a lot more earlier when I was not diabetic. I would say less than half a chicken breast is my meal with salad.

If only the doc had done a1c I would have been at peace if this is a real bs increase or is it just the meter or strips or weather as my house is usually quite cold. I have put the strips away from the bathroom and kept them on the ground floor where humidity is lower and we keep heating on almost all the time coz of the little one.
If you can afford the £138 for the home kits, maybe paying a bit less for a lab HbA1c would be better value?

http://bluehorizonmedicals.co.uk/ep...9b91-b6f9-4318-864a-f492cbae7827/Products/GHB

If you Google, private blood tests or private HbA1c, you will find lots available, with some packaging to include the usual lipids etc. these things are always available, and sometimes we just have to think a bit outside the box to meet our personal objectives.

Reactions: 5 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I checked what Granola it was (Jordans Crunchy Oat (Fruit & Nut)) and the carbs are listed as 64.6 per 100g. Therefore I had approximately 33g carbohydatre. That did seem a lot so, as I've only had one meal today (97% sausages and roasted onions, pepper and mushrooms), I decided to do another experiment tonight. 1 hour ago my reading was 5.2 and 1 hour after eating it was 9.2. Actually my first reading was 9.6 but I immediately did another that was 9.2 so perhaps 9.4 is a realistic reading. I'll check again in another hour but I might have to leave it at that as I turn into a pumpkin around midnight.

The only difference (as far as I know) is that my previous Granola was for breakfast and this is in the evening. I assume that shouldn't have given such different results.

I really appreciate your advice as I'm fairly new to all this and my first check with the DN at my GP's isn't until April. I'm really trying to get my BG down and not have to take the threatened medication.

Clutching at straws, I see I'm using Batch 61 testing strips!

Batch 61 strips are good ones. I'm using them at the moment.

Our insulin resistance improves as the day progresses because we have been up and active as opposed to asleep in bed. Carbs at breakfast are not normally a very good idea. 33g is too much, in my opinion. I can just about manage that much for my evening meal, if I'm lucky! You can test exactly the same meal a hundred times and get a hundred different readings, some good, some bad, because other things impact on it - time of day, exercise before or after, stress, weather, portion sizes not 100% exactly the same, and so on.

Reactions: 6 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.

On the subject of ready meals, the only ones I regularly touch are Charlie Bigham's Thai Green Curry and Breton Chicken, both around 5g/100g carbs. You can get them in Waitrose and Sainsburys, and online apparently.

http://www.bighams.com/

Reactions: 14 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Last night's meal included garlic bread and homemade deep fried chips.

5.0 before tea
5.6 at an hour
5.8 at 2hrs
5.2 at 3hrs
5.1 at 4hrs and bedtime
5.1 this morning.
:):):):):):):):):):)

Reactions: 22 people

PSS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I had few brandies and a large meal last night. alcohol does not seem to have elevated the sugar levels !

Reactions: 10 people

PSS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last night's meal included garlic bread and homemade deep fried chips.

5.0 before tea
5.6 at an hour
5.8 at 2hrs
5.2 at 3hrs
5.1 at 4hrs and bedtime
5.1 this morning.
:):):):):):):):):):)

That is a lot of testing ! But very good numbers :)

Reactions: 9 people

Silver Hammer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

@brettsza try bhr.co.uk for the A1C Now tests for HbA1C. The 10 packs are exactly the same as from Miller but are only £99 rather than £138. I have just got a set from them, really good service and 34 from my first test which is the same as my last doctor's test last year.

Maxwell

Reactions: 8 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@brettsza regarding your tea testing. I'm not at all sure testing the liquid works properly. The strips are very sensitive and designed to test blood not tea. If the tea was above normal blood temp it would skew matters to start with. Best just to test out a cup of tea you have drunk between meals. I find a mug of tea with skimmed milk and 2 sweetex raises me about 0.5mmol/l but drunk immediately after a meal seems to have little impact.

Reactions: 7 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
Reactions: 2 people
Status
Not open for further replies.