Lunchtime!

Juju82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello I'm really keen to know what people have for their lunch? It's a time of day I've always struggled with! Either I'm not hungry or I'm wanting a sugar fix! Lol!
Would love some ideas as to what you have to keep you going till your evening meal. Thank you x

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When at work I'll either have pate or brie on Finn Crisp Rye crispbreads or a cornbeef sandwich on rye bread. At weekends I'll have either cheese or sardines on rye bread toast. Following a recommendation on here, I've found rye bread to be slow acting on my BG levels which is very helpful. I'll usually have a handfull of mixed nuts as well to make up the calories. And then I'll go for a forty minute walk as long as the weather is not too bad.

Reactions: 5 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
At work, I have a wholemeal bread sandwich, around 40g of carbs. A yoghurt and a piece of fruit. I may typically eat a few grapes or take a bite from a cereal bar at different points during the afternoon. If I eat too many grapes in one go I have massive BG's so I need to space them out but stay above 5mmol before getting in the car for the drive home.

Reactions: 2 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
350g of homemade soup, chicken or cauliflower and cheese, or celery, cheese, olives,raw cauliflower and some potted pork. weekends 3 egg omelette with a filing, smoked salmon, or mushrooms, or black pudding, or bacon.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If I'm at work it's either a salad and Greek yoghurt with blueberries or a sandwich with hovis seeded sensations bread and at home an omelette, or salad or Ryvita crispbreads with either peanut butter or Philadelphia cheese

Reactions: 4 people

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At work I have salad (protein element, cucumber, tomatoes, radishes, sugar snap peas, spring onions, cress) followed by 100g fresh blueberries. This combination makes my blood sugar to be lower at the 2 hour point than when I started and being uncooked is very filling.

I can't eat wheat so sandwiches are out for me.

Reactions: 4 people

Juju82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If I'm at work it's either a salad and Greek yoghurt with blueberries or a sandwich with hovis seeded sensations bread and at home an omelette, or salad or Ryvita crispbreads with either peanut butter or Philadelphia cheese

Oh I like Ryvitas! Thank you for the reminder!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Slice of Hovis Seed Sensations toasted with 2 poached eggs and some cheese
tinned salmon salad
homemade soup
bacon, eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms, 97% meat sausage

IzzieS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Loud noises; disrespectful people; fireworks
I sometimes have couscous with a few little tomatoes, sprinkling of omega 3 seeds, 1oz low fat feta cheese with a tablespoon of low fat coleslaw, and then some fruit. Am still experimenting with my diet, so hoping this is okay. Is it okay to have soup?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I sometimes have couscous with a few little tomatoes, sprinkling of omega 3 seeds, 1oz low fat feta cheese with a tablespoon of low fat coleslaw, and then some fruit. Am still experimenting with my diet, so hoping this is okay. Is it okay to have soup?

I wouldn't have tinned soup as they tend to thicken it with flour and potatoes. You can make your own so you know what's in it. Be careful with fruit - make sure you test after eating it. Fructose doesn't do us type 2's much good.

IzzieS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Loud noises; disrespectful people; fireworks
Thanks, Bluetit. I usually make my own soup, but sometimes have a tin of tomato soup if time is too short. I haven't been given any advice on testing so that isn't happening. Which fruit should I steer clear of?

Deskdoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Hello I'm really keen to know what people have for their lunch? It's a time of day I've always struggled with! Either I'm not hungry or I'm wanting a sugar fix! Lol!
Would love some ideas as to what you have to keep you going till your evening meal. Thank you x
I enjoy home made soup, celery, chicken or mushroom. If you like smoked mackerel I've been making a pate of skinless mackerel, cream cheese and creme fresh, mashed (or blitzed if you want it smooth) with lemon juice and zest. I eat it on crispy lettuce leaves.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Mexican Chicken low carb dish (made with 95% chicken sausages, tomatoes, chipotle, peppers, mushrooms, chicken stock, paprika and bacon) made in a batch at home and then microwaved at work. ~500 cals

Corned beef salad with 250g corned beef, lettuce, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, 20g mayo, ~700 calories.

And that's less than half of my daily calorie consumption....

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A naughty bag of pork scratchings (alongside whatever else I'm having) are like nitrous oxide for me, power my engine all afternoon, high in fat but low in saturated fat and carb. superfood. Not sure why they get such bad press.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pork scratching warning:

When I discovered how gorgeously LC they were, I kind of overindulged. Seriously.
Now I cant face them.
:(
it is very sad.

and what is most annoying, is that while I was snaffling the scratchings with glee, I was also losing weight at the fastest rate I have ever known. but now they repel me. its tragic.

so I caution you to save them for a treat, not an everyday indulgence, or you too could find yourself pork scratchingless, which would be tragic.

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pork scratching warning:

When I discovered how gorgeously LC they were, I kind of overindulged. Seriously.
Now I cant face them.
:(
it is very sad.

so I caution you to save them for a treat, not an everyday indulgence, or you too could find yourself pork scratchingless, which would be tragic.

Oh, you mean because you put weight on ?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
nope, I was losing weight the fastest ever (which is not, admittedly, very fast)

my enthusiasm for them was just too much, every day, for a while.

then one day I just opened a packet and thought 'no thanks' and found something else to eat. haven't had one since.

Last edited by a moderator: